New previously unissued Horace Tapscott

cliffpeterson

Received an email yesterday from Dark Tree Records.  Courtesy of the Tapscott estate, it will be releasing on cd later this spring "Horace Tapscott with the Pan African Peoples Arkestra- 'Ancestral Echoes The Covina Sessions, 1976'".

These are previously unreleased studio recordings. Liner notes by Steven Isoardi.  There are four song titles: "Ancestral Echoes," "Sketches of Drunken Mary," "Jo Annette" and "Eternal Eygpt Suite."

Dark Tree will also be releasing "Live at Lama" on vinyl and a new Isoardi book entitled "The Music Finds a Way-A PAPA/UGMAA Oral History of Growing Up in Postwar South Central Los Angeles."

No information on the above as yet on Dark Tree's website or Facebook page.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder if the Tapscott family can get the University of Nevada/Las Vegas to loan them this broadcast recording for release:

Horace Tapscott 03/16/92
Four Queens Hotel, French Quarter Room, Las Vegas, NV

Lino's Pad
Oleo
Akirfa
One For Lately
Little Africa

Horace Tapscott: piano, Roberto Miranda: bass, Fritz Wise: drums

I dubbed a copy from the satellite feed when it aired in 1992.

3 hours ago, cliffpeterson said:

Received an email yesterday from Dark Tree Records.  Courtesy of the Tapscott estate, it will be releasing on cd later this spring "Horace Tapscott with the Pan African Peoples Arkestra- 'Ancestral Echoes The Covina Sessions, 1976'".

These are previously unreleased studio recordings. Liner notes by Steven Isoardi.  There are four song titles: "Ancestral Echoes," "Sketches of Drunken Mary," "Jo Annette" and "Eternal Eygpt Suite."

Dark Tree will also be releasing "Live at Lama" on vinyl and a new Isoardi book entitled "The Music Finds a Way-A PAPA/UGMAA Oral History of Growing Up in Postwar South Central Los Angeles."

Got the same email and will definitely be picking up both the book and the CD.

Edited by ghost of miles

The Dark Tree email didn't list personnel, correct? What makes this particularly appealing to me is the vintage. All eras of PAPA are valuable, but the personnel around '76 would be very special indeed. (I'm hoping for/guessing the drummer is Everett Brown Jr., the slashing Elvin Jones-cum-Steve McCall figure who features on Sonny's Dream, The Giant is Awakened, and most of the older Arkestra material.) The date would also make it, IIRC, the oldest or one of the oldest full documents of the Arkestra on record. 

18 hours ago, cliffpeterson said:

wondering if the version of "Eternal Egypt Suite" on the CD that came with the Uni Of California book "The Dark Tree" - track actually titled "Eternal Egypt Suite, Part 4 & over 17 mins duration" is from this/these session(s). Recording date listed as January 24, 1976 but no location details given (cept LA). Musicians listed below (this CD is listed in the Lord Discography)

6 hours ago, romualdo said:

wondering if the version of "Eternal Egypt Suite" on the CD that came with the Uni Of California book "The Dark Tree" - track actually titled "Eternal Egypt Suite, Part 4 & over 17 mins duration" is from this/these session(s). Recording date listed as January 24, 1976 but no location details given (cept LA). Musicians listed below (this CD is listed in the Lord Discography)

I've been meaning to dig out that CD for about a month or two, which I definitely have (somewhere) -- not with the book, I have to confess, but in some slimline jewel-box around here somewhere.  I seem to remember one particular large-group track specifically with some really nice free-leaning TRUMPET-playing (a fairly extended solo, iirc).  And looking at the discographical details of that CD now (HERE), it must be that same "Eternal Egypt Suite, Part 4" track (which discogs thinks is the only one with any trumpet whatsoever).

Hell's bells, here that very track from the "book" CD.  That trumpet solo I really loved comes in around 2:30 (2:35, actually), with Steve Smith on trumpet.

And OK, so here's ANOTHER live version of that very same tune(!), as performed at Harvard in 2011 by the " Dudley House Jazz Band".  Just goes to show you never can even imagine all the unbelievable stuff that's up on YouTube sometimes...

WTF, there's MORE versions on YouTube still!

Another one still!!

And yet ANOTHER version...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Not available for ordering yet, though, right?  I did order a copy of Steven's new oral-history book and will be picking up this CD as well once it's formally for sale.

No not yet, part of an email I received from Dark Tree recently - looking forward to this - already have one track (I think) on the CD that came with one of Steven's previous publications on Horace

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
6 minutes ago, Pim said:

You could order stuff from Dark Tree directly trough Discogs. They ship cd’s for free worldwide! 
Ordered a copy from the Covina sessions last Monday and arrived 3 days later with a friendly note. Recommended!

https://www.discogs.com/seller/darktree/profile

Second recommendation here on both the CD's themselves and ordering them directly from Dark Tree! 

8 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

If one had to choose between the 1976 or the 1989 issue what would the answer be? I’m leaning towards buying the later recording.

I would agree with this. Lots of 1970s Tapscott music available, not so much from the 90s. I personally also find it musically more interesting as well.

1 hour ago, Steve Reynolds said:

If one had to choose between the 1976 or the 1989 issue what would the answer be? I’m leaning towards buying the later recording.

I know you said if you had to choose... but for 15 euros extra I’d take both ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Whole label seems to have gone LP only.  Glad I scooped up the CDs several years ago when I could.   Also noticed Tom Albach passed in November at 95.  Albach filled the CD orders himself and would include nice surprise bonuses in the package.  Very grateful he recorded this beautiful music and made it available.

Put my order (direct to Nimbus West) in for the new 3LP set - no indication on release date but Dusty Groove mentions round Jan 20

Also managed to score an original copy (LP) of "At The Crossroads" - didn't know it was still available - pity it never made it to CD

Why is there no mention of CDs on the Nimbus West site?

Another shout out to Tom Albach - wasn't aware that he'd just passed

I dealt with the label directly for a number of years, even buying & shipping (to Australia) the seven solo LPs

• 5 weeks later...
On 20-12-2020 at 10:52 PM, mjazzg said:

Another new one on the horizon

https://www.nimbuswestrecords.com/shop-5/p/pan-afrikan-peoples-arkestra-live-at-century-city-playhouse-9979-3lp-set

Got my pre-order in

And yes, it's LP only.  I'm only the messenger....

Anyone who knows the exact release date of this?  DG says around 20th of January, Juno says February 12th. Nimbus says.... well nothing :lol: