New previously unissued Horace Tapscott

cliffpeterson

Finally being sent - got this email from Nimbus West this morning (Sunday) - the wait was worth it

FINALLY - After an insane delay, IT’S HERE…

These just arrived via freight this morning, we are packing them up as I write to you and we will be sending them out as fast as humanly possible..

A huge THANK YOU from the Nimbus crew for your peaceful patience thru this long process. Y’alls have been so cool and calm- we feel lucky to have such a rad bunch of listeners. Tracking will be updating over the next few days.  We can’t wait for you to receive this gem and EXPERIENCE ITS MAJESTY!!!

+++ there has been a few requests for a change of shipping address over the last several months- if this is you , please kindly resend your request and make sure to include the new address and also the order number and we will make sure it goes to the right place (thanks)+++

BRIGHT MOMENTS,

Matt / Team Nimbus

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

still available from the Nimbus West site (not for long I'd venture) but price has jumped from $48 to $75

https://www.nimbuswestrecords.com/shop-5/p/pan-afrikan-peoples-arkestra-live-at-century-city-playhouse-9979-3lp-set

Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra - Live at Century City Playhouse 9/9/79 (3LP set)

$75.00

TECHNICALLY SOLD OUT BUT THERE IS A SMALL OVERRUN THAT ARE NOW AVAILABLE DIRECT THRU THIS WEBSTORE -

***ALL NEW ORDERS WILL SHIP WITHIN 7-14 DAYS OF ORDER PLACEMENT - WE ARE STILL CATCHING UP ON THE ORIGINAL ORDERS AND ARE CURRENTLY WAITING ON A RESTOCK OF MAILERS!!!*** (PLEASE BE PATIENT, WE ARE WORKING THRU THESE AS FAST AS WE CAN- THANKS!!)

SoundOhm always ships with UPS. I hate that freakin company. There’s always something going wrong with their shipments. This time is no exception. It goes back and forth between several places in NL. First date of delivery was Tuesday, then Wednesday, then Thursday and now it’s Monday…. 

Just finished LP 3 for the first time now. This might become my favorite Tapscott recording. But I will give it some more spins for it might also be the enthusiasm for its arrival. But this is some insanely good music. What a fascinating musician he was. Tapscott is really Tapscott. But I could hear Fats Waller, Duke Ellington, Monk and Mingus all in the same sentence. That with a strong Afrocentric influence. This music really moves me. It's fascinating. I should probably go buy all his records and start a new blog....

my copy arrived to day & it's stunning, musically & SQ - I have a lot of Horace (solo, small groups, Arkestra), including unreleased concerts & this has to be right up there at the  pinnacle of his releases. Virtually one track per LP side with the bonus of Horace discussing/introducing the compositions & musicians. Horace & the Arkestra have a very special place in my personal jazz canon.

56 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Have either of you managed to fit the LPs into the sleeve? Nine's too tight to accommodate them. Definition of a first world problem, I realise.

havn't tried (the 2nd LP came inserted within the gatefold while LPs 1 & 3 were in the sleeve pockets - they should have made a trifold sleeve)

Just finished listening to the last LP - what an experience!! 

& started digitalising the 3 LPs

Edited by romualdo

Great to see you are enjoying it just as much as me Romualdo. It’s on my turntable for days now. 

@mjazzg I’ve got the same problem. After a couple of tries it does fit but they packed it a little too tight. And I was a little surprised it wasn’t a trifold. I’m pretty sure I’m gonna drop LP number 2 in a moment of inattentiveness…

24 minutes ago, Pim said:

Great to see you are enjoying it just as much as me Romualdo. It’s on my turntable for days now. 

@mjazzg I’ve got the same problem. After a couple of tries it does fit but they packed it a little too tight. And I was a little surprised it wasn’t a trifold. I’m pretty sure I’m gonna drop LP number 2 in a moment of inattentiveness…

Glad it's not just me :)  I've gone with the keep them in an outer plastic sleeve option for the time being

16 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Have either of you managed to fit the LPs into the sleeve? Nine's too tight to accommodate them. Definition of a first world problem, I realise.

now I know what you mean - after removing the LPs from their sleeve pockets it's very difficult to put them back (very first world I agree) - I found if you open/bow the sleeve pocket to a degree the LP will slide in more easily

24 minutes ago, Hoppy T. Frog said:

I have no room for LPs, is there going to be a digital release?  I wish someone would put on CD the entire Tapscott Sessions.  Who's running Nimbus now that Tom Albach is dead?

When I corresponded with Nimbus in March of last year, it was with a guy named Matthew. He had a lot of info on The Call album that I was asking about but I have no idea if he's running the show. He did say he was a sound engineer and was concerned with audio quality on the LPs they produced, as he wanted to make sure they released quality product. 

5 hours ago, Hoppy T. Frog said:

I wish someone would put on CD the entire Tapscott Sessions. 

That's what I did when I bought the LPs back in the 2000s - have a CDr for each LP plus I've also digitalised & burnt to CDr (x2) the latest triple LP set

Tapscott 3LP CDrs c.jpg

Excuse the slight topic diversion but on Tapscott's 1969 debut Flying Dutchman LP The Giant Has Awakened.....[Edit: I’ve deleted the rest of this post because I was confusing one Tapscott album with another. The next post helpfully steered me to the correct album! Apologies]

Edited by RogerF