New previously unissued Horace Tapscott

cliffpeterson

30 minutes ago, RogerF said:

Excuse the slight topic diversion but on Tapscott's 1969 debut Flying Dutchman LP The Giant Is Awakened the mind-blowing Eternal Egypt Suite definitely has more players than the 5tet listed on the album sleeve. Any idea who's playing on that track please? [or if you have the album is this info listed within the gatefold?] Thanks!

a0110810012_16.jpg

The album I've pictured above is the one with Eternal Egypt Suite. Go to Bandcamp for the full personnel.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, djcavanagh said:

This is available at Jazz Messengers (at what looks like an amazing price) for anyone who missed it.

I haven't managed to listen to mine yet as I can't access my turntable.

Just got that email and just ordered a copy from JazzMessengers. Don’t have a lot of Tapscott in my collection but had my eye on this one. 

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Just got that email and just ordered a copy from JazzMessengers. Don’t have a lot of Tapscott in my collection but had my eye on this one. 

Congrats! It’s really, really good. 70 euros is still expensive but definitely worth it

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Don't they realise we have lives to finance as well as our Tapscott obsessions?! :D  46 euros delivered to the UK, ouch!

It’s insane. 1 year ago Tone Poets going for 40 euros were expensive. Nowadays 40 euros os becoming the average price for vinyl :(

55 minutes ago, Pim said:

It’s insane. 1 year ago Tone Poets going for 40 euros were expensive. Nowadays 40 euros os becoming the average price for vinyl :(

And that's before our self-induced Brexit import taxes. I'm hoping that some copies will make it to the UK retailers as they did with the last one.

• 1 year later...
On 3/11/2020 at 8:37 AM, cliffpeterson said:

Received an email yesterday from Dark Tree Records.  Courtesy of the Tapscott estate, it will be releasing on cd later this spring "Horace Tapscott with the Pan African Peoples Arkestra- 'Ancestral Echoes The Covina Sessions, 1976'".

These are previously unreleased studio recordings. Liner notes by Steven Isoardi.  There are four song titles: "Ancestral Echoes," "Sketches of Drunken Mary," "Jo Annette" and "Eternal Eygpt Suite."

Dark Tree will also be releasing "Live at Lama" on vinyl and a new Isoardi book entitled "The Music Finds a Way-A PAPA/UGMAA Oral History of Growing Up in Postwar South Central Los Angeles."

No information on the above as yet on Dark Tree's website or Facebook page.

New revised edition of Steven Isoardi's The Dark Tree is out.

https://www.dukeupress.edu/the-dark-tree

I have the original edition, not sure whether to go for this revision.

On 8/29/2023 at 9:57 AM, T.D. said:

New revised edition of Steven Isoardi's The Dark Tree is out.

https://www.dukeupress.edu/the-dark-tree

I have the original edition, not sure whether to go for this revision.

wonder if it will come with the CD of previously unreleased material ? (some has been released on Dark Tree since)

21 hours ago, romualdo said:

wonder if it will come with the CD of previously unreleased material ? (some has been released on Dark Tree since)

Good question. It was a very good CD (I got it with the 1st edition), but as you mentioned some of it was later released.

CD wasn't mentioned on the Duke site, so my instinct (opinion only) is "no", also taking into account the ongoing plethora of Nimbus West releases.