Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cliffpeterson

New previously unissued Horace Tapscott

90 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, RogerF said:

Excuse the slight topic diversion but on Tapscott's 1969 debut Flying Dutchman LP The Giant Is Awakened the mind-blowing Eternal Egypt Suite definitely has more players than the 5tet listed on the album sleeve. Any idea who's playing on that track please? [or if you have the album is this info listed within the gatefold?] Thanks!

a0110810012_16.jpg

The album I've pictured above is the one with Eternal Egypt Suite. Go to Bandcamp for the full personnel.

Thanks jlhoots, I had my wires crossed over this one - definitely seeking out Ancestral Echoes now!

This is available at Jazz Messengers (at what looks like an amazing price) for anyone who missed it.

I haven't managed to listen to mine yet as I can't access my turntable.

14 minutes ago, djcavanagh said:

This is available at Jazz Messengers (at what looks like an amazing price) for anyone who missed it.

I haven't managed to listen to mine yet as I can't access my turntable.

Just got that email and just ordered a copy from JazzMessengers. Don’t have a lot of Tapscott in my collection but had my eye on this one. 

6 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Just got that email and just ordered a copy from JazzMessengers. Don’t have a lot of Tapscott in my collection but had my eye on this one. 

I think you will have paid just a little bit more than half what I paid, Bob, so your patience has definitely paid off.

6 minutes ago, djcavanagh said:

I think you will have paid just a little bit more than half what I paid, Bob, so your patience has definitely paid off.

Cheers Denis - Usually works the other way for me so a rare break. A good week for vinyl, this one. :)

On 8/2/2021 at 11:09 AM, jlhoots said:

a0110810012_16.jpg

The album I've pictured above is the one with Eternal Egypt Suite. Go to Bandcamp for the full personnel.

This one is really great.  I’m glad I picked it up.  Maybe it’s just a phase but I find myself gravitating to his larger ensemble recordings.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Congrats! It’s really, really good. 70 euros is still expensive but definitely worth it

Thanks Pim.

I did see the Arkestra in their home base on one occasion. It turned into their Memorial performance for Tapscott, who died the night before. So - I need to hear some more of this.

Edited by sidewinder

It’s interesting to contrast the austerity and cold fury of THE DARK TREE with the much more exuberant sound of the large ensembles.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Don't they realise we have lives to finance as well as our Tapscott obsessions?! :D  46 euros delivered to the UK, ouch!

It’s insane. 1 year ago Tone Poets going for 40 euros were expensive. Nowadays 40 euros os becoming the average price for vinyl :(

55 minutes ago, Pim said:

It’s insane. 1 year ago Tone Poets going for 40 euros were expensive. Nowadays 40 euros os becoming the average price for vinyl :(

And that's before our self-induced Brexit import taxes. I'm hoping that some copies will make it to the UK retailers as they did with the last one.

That Jesse Sharps LP looks interesting considering it is source directly from the tapes where the cd was supposedly a 4th generation DAT. I’ll have to revisit the cd to see if an upgrade is in order.