Toronto Jazz Fest 2020

ejp626

As always, pretty underwhelmed - http://torontojazz.com/

Herbie Hancock is the biggest name, and he's coming through in Sept. long after the festival is over!  I wouldn't see him anyway after the terrible concerts he gave during various Chicago stints.

Of what is announced now, I'd probably check out Scofield-Holland and pass on the rest (that is if there is even going to be a festival this summer!).  There may be some local and/or free events posted closer to the summer that will appeal to me more.

Toronto has a lot going for it, but it has not been able to sustain a major jazz club (the Rex is fine for what it is, but it does not get major acts).  Hugh's Room (which was completely off my radar) is shutting down at the end of the month, so things will be just that much bleaker for jazz fans...

The Rex when I was there was more of a neighbourhood pub with weekend local music such as organist John T. Davis.

Things went up a few notches with the Cafe des Copains, Bermuda Onion and Top o’ the Senator but the early 90s recession put paid to the latter two I think. While it lasted it was pretty damn good !

The Festival also used to run free open-air headline shows Downtown, by major artists. Rare good use of Toronto city taxes !

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

The Rex when I was there was more of a neighbourhood pub with weekend local music such as organist John T. Davis.

Things went up a few notches with the Cafe des Copains, Bermuda Onion and Top o’ the Senator but the early 90s recession put paid to the latter two I think. While it lasted it was pretty damn good !

Even Cafe des Copains has closed!  There's the Jazz Bistro (which I don't like, given its layout) and very rare shows at The Old Mill.  On the positive side, The Rex has jazz acts pretty much every evening, but it is very local.