Hardbopjazz

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Soulstation1 said:

The Bee Gees wrote The song 

Islands in the stream 

Just learned that yesterday (forget from what media source, maybe an extended NPR obit).

And I can totally hear it too.  Can't say I'd heard the song more than 2-3x before (total), nor am I very schooled in the Bee Gees -- but that harmony between Dolly and Kenny is unmistakably the sort of sound I associate with the Bee Gees.

Here's the first Bee Gees version of the song that came up in a quick search...

I tracked this 1979 TV special down on Youtube a couple of months ago after running across a period review of it. It caught my interest not so much for the music, but for the fact that quite a bit of it was filmed in Crockett, Texas, where Kenny's mother lived. If you ever wanted to see a time capsule of Crockett in the late 70s, this is your show. Crockett's a place I have more than a passing familiarity with, as my mother's family is from that area, and her late brother has a brief appearance in this special - he's the deputy who reminisces with Kenny about how he used to have coffee with Kenny's father every day. 

RIP.

Edited by Dave Garrett