Beatles "Get Back" doc in September

gvopedz

• 2 months later...

Well, my bad, the Variety article indicates that there are still plans to reissue the original film at some point in the future. Difficult to imagine that Jackson’s new version will still receive a conventional theatrical release in early September, though.

I had another unrelated Beatles item that I wanted to post about—but apparently there’s no pre-existing general all-things-Beatles thread here? (A la the Dylan corner.) What is this place, anyway—a jazz forum?! :g

Edited by ghost of miles

57 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I had another unrelated Beatles item that I wanted to post about—but apparently there’s no pre-existing general all-things-Beatles thread here? (A la the Dylan corner.) What is this place, anyway—a jazz forum?! :g

So start one.  I started the Dylan corner...still waiting for my royalty check! :g

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...
58 minutes ago, felser said:

How so?  I haven't seen this, so honest question.

You can how they — or Paul — treats him. The Jackson doc shows George quitting and then Paul and George discussing the situation at lunch the following week; the makers of the documentary to be made in 69 had surreptitiously hidden a mike at their lunch table: the Jackson documentary shows the audio of their conversation. 

Also, there is more than one occasion where John and Paul team up to work out an idea or arrangement or to just be silly and they just TOTALLY block everybody else out. Even Yoko. It's obvious that they had a deep intuitive bond that wasn't going to end suddenly or cleanly.

Let It Be is about to. This one is about gradual decay.

And the rooftop concert...you watch these guys agonizing for a month about doing ANYTHING (and the literally day-by-day telling of the story is perhaps it's biggest asset), right up to the night before, maybe even hours before, and then once they start playing for real, it's game on for real. Once a band...

Of course the dream is over. Hell, it's dead. But don let anybody tell you that this is where it died. If you want to read about where it did, check out And In The End by Ken McNab which is a month-by-month recounting of Beatles 1969. Pretty much picks up the rest of the story and takes it home.

Nostalgia sucks, but history is fascinating.

I admittedly don't keep up with today's "rock" music to the degree that some of you do.

That said, never in my wildest dreams would I ever have guessed that the Beatles would one day "get back" together.  This must certainly be an event on a cosmic scale for today's youth.

I have not had the opportunity to watch the Beatles' new TV special, so I can't comment on the music.  It will be interesting to see if Lennon and McCartney still have the ability to write classics like "Yesterday" and "And I Love Her."

25 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I admittedly don't keep up with today's "rock" music to the degree that some of you do.

That said, never in my wildest dreams would I ever have guessed that the Beatles would one day "get back" together.  This must certainly be an event on a cosmic scale for today's youth.

I have not had the opportunity to watch the Beatles' new TV special, so I can't comment on the music.  It will be interesting to see if Lennon and McCartney still have the ability to write classics like "Yesterday" and "And I Love Her."

They didn’t get back together: this is a documentary of the making of the Let it Be record in 1969, based on footage that was given by Apple to Peter Jackson. 

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

LOL!  I liked them better when they were those four zany mop tops on the bubble gum cards and lunch boxes and bobbleheads.

18 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Thanks.  So will the new material they produced be released separately?  

They're starting their own record company, called "Apple".  Don't see how they can possibly go wrong.  And Steve Jobs would be greatly honored.

Actually...there are a few Lennon/McCartney rejects of indeterminate age that get played during doodle time. One has to wonder if they got into the publishing pipeline at all before this airing. Most of them seem pretty impromptu, but one or two sound like plausible real songs..

• 4 weeks later...