Impulse! 60th Anniversary Japanese CD Reissue Series

Late

20 Impulse! titles on "ultra-high quality" compact disc now listed at CD Japan. I've never purchased a UHQCD. Can't say I'm too excited about this reissue series. It would be nice to know what remasters (old/new) are being used. If they were using the 2011 SHM-CD remasters, then I'd be more interested.

Nice to see the McFarland in the list. I've never heard the Jackie Paris title. Twenty titles seems slim to celebrate a 60th anniversary, but maybe that's all the market can bear right now.

What titles do you wish had been in this list?

UHQCD can sound very good. The Paris is a nice album, this and the Time album are the two I like most. 

Not knowing which masterings are used is a bummer. Universal has been using all kinds of masterings for these. The UHQCD I have on Impulse sound quite good indeed but I'm not sure which masterings were used. There are other Impulse titles coming out from Universal that are MQA encoded as well and do feature new mastering. . . they are not cheap.Those say:

Reissue in Hi-Res CD format (UHQCD format x MQA technology). Uses the DSD master produced in 2020 based on the original tapes, and the master is converted in in 352.8kHz/24bit high resolution (perfect for MQA-enabled audio players). Green color label coating. Comes in a slim case packaging. *The disc can also be played on regular CD players in UHQCD 44.1kHz/16bit resolution. However, MQA-enabled hardware/software is necessary to harness the full potential of this Hi-Res CD.

58 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Full set of the Pharoah Sanders. Not because I love them. I don’t even like them. But I still somehow wish I’d bought the set they did x years ago. 

Because you despise them? :P

The series came out in 2007. Eleven titles! It was the only way (to my knowledge) to acquire Live At The East on compact disc. It was an excellent series indeed. But I say that not because I loathe them. I don't even detest them. (The last three titles aren't as strong overall as the first eight, in my opinion.) 

L-417306-1432680778-6183.jpeg.jpg

6 hours ago, felser said:

Strange selections if that is going to be it for the series.  Wish they would reissue Sam Rivers' Streams ...

Yes. Perhaps my top choice. I'd also like a reissue of Live In Seattle with the 2011 SHM-CD remastering. That one has been elusive.

1 hour ago, Late said:

Because you despise them? :P

The series came out in 2007. Eleven titles! It was the only way (to my knowledge) to acquire Live At The East on compact disc. It was an excellent series indeed. But I say that not because I loathe them. I don't even detest them. (The last three titles aren't as strong overall as the first eight, in my opinion.) 

L-417306-1432680778-6183.jpeg.jpg

Yes. Perhaps my top choice. I'd also like a reissue of Live In Seattle with the 2011 SHM-CD remastering. That one has been elusive.

Yes, I'd like to see several of the Sanders and Live in Seattle with the 2011 remastering.

not-bloody-likely.jpg

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Harbour said:

Most Japanese reissues recently seem to omit any bonus tracks that appeared on similar Western counterpart versions, I wonder if its a licensing thing or purely to keep it just like the original version.

Apart from anything else, it may be the case they are working from the album master tapes they were originally sent. 

6 hours ago, soulpope said:

Same with "McCoy Tyner plays Ellington" ....

That one is missing tunes? Then I will skip it.

Are we sure though? I have bought Japanese reissues where the bonus tracks are not listed on the back, but you find out they are there after all once you take off the wrapper.

Bertrand.

15 minutes ago, bertrand said:

That one is missing tunes? Then I will skip it.

Are we sure though? I have bought Japanese reissues where the bonus tracks are not listed on the back, but you find out they are there after all once you take off the wrapper.

Bertrand.

Was already the case with the 2016 SHM-CD edition, which was the most recent japanese reissue missing the three bonus tracks featured on the 1997 release ....

• 2 months later...

I picked up a few titles from this series. Zero bonus tracks. This one does sound better to me than the U.S. edition:

s-l400.jpg

One thing in particular about this UHQCD series (of those I've heard): little to no compression. You have to turn the volume knob UP. Wider soundstage too. Makes me think that these are new remasters, but that's just a guess. The inner ring catalog number, which is sometimes a tell (if it uses an old catalog number), is new.

11 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I bought "Coltrane" ...

This one sounds really good in the new UHQCD format (not the "ultra high quality" material, but rather the remastering). Much better than the U.S. digipak edition, though that one needs to be kept because of its three bonus tracks. Still, "Out of This World" never sounded better.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

[A]in't no Chicos?

Chicos-catalog-cover-lg-225x3001.jpg

We definitely need more Chico. Campaign we must.