Impulse! 60th Anniversary Japanese CD Reissue Series

Late

My wife is on all those mailing lists, Chico's, Talbot's, Soft Surroundings...let's just say that they all have a good eye for design, presentation, and, uh, product placement.

and let's also note that Chico himself could execute a sharp turn on the sartorial front himself when called upon to do so.

9 minutes ago, JSngry said:

and let's also note that Chico himself could execute a sharp turn on the sartorial front himself when called upon to do so.

Indeed.

It would be a well-fought match for "Most Dapper Drummer" between Chico and Roy Haynes.   ... An impossible choice!  ;) 

200711_054-822x548.jpg

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, JSngry said:

It's a " leftovers" album, so don't rush, if you know what I mean.

And "New Africa" and "Bakai", the two most meaningful cuts by a mile, came out as bonus cuts on the original "The Way Ahead" CD.  Also, this album can be had as a domestic twofer along with the interesting "For Losers".

For Losers / Kwanza - Archie Shepp mp3 buy, full tracklist

Edited by felser

1 hour ago, felser said:

And "New Africa" and "Bakai," the two most meaningful cuts by a mile, came out as bonus cuts on the original CDs, especially "The Way Ahead."

D'oh! I have The Way Ahead. I was wanting those two bonus tracks ... and already have them! (Clearly I need to spin that CD again.)

$ saved! :tup

On 11/12/2020 at 5:05 PM, Late said:

I have The Way Ahead. I was wanting those two bonus tracks ... and already have them! (Clearly I need to spin that CD again.)

Finally got around to giving this album some focused attention. Well, I looped just the first two tracks on repeat. Wow. I'd forgotten that Walter Davis, Jr. is on this album — 1968! Such good playing from everyone, well-recorded, and Shepp is intense. If you have this album, give it a spin! If not, now's your chance to pick it up (in January). The Japanese edition won't have the two bonus tracks, but they'll be on Kwanza.

Now I need to listen to tracks 3-6. Dave Burrell takes over on piano for "New Africa" and "Bakai."

This reminds me that I have some live recordings of Shepp's band when both Grachan Moncur AND Roswell Rudd were in the group. Have to find them. Too bad that unit didn't (to my knowledge) make it into the studio.

7 hours ago, Late said:

Finally got around to giving this album some focused attention. Well, I looped just the first two tracks on repeat. Wow. I'd forgotten that Walter Davis, Jr. is on this album — 1968! Such good playing from everyone, well-recorded, and Shepp is intense. If you have this album, give it a spin! If not, now's your chance to pick it up (in January). The Japanese edition won't have the two bonus tracks, but they'll be on Kwanza.

Now I need to listen to tracks 3-6. Dave Burrell takes over on piano for "New Africa" and "Bakai."

This reminds me that I have some live recordings of Shepp's band when both Grachan Moncur AND Roswell Rudd were in the group. Have to find them. Too bad that unit didn't (to my knowledge) make it into the studio.

What year?