COVID-19 2.0: No Politics edition

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Interesting - policy over here now seems to be very much being driven by the modelling work coming out of Imperial College London. The modelling is literally evolving in real time, using outcomes in Italy etc. to validate it.  This has led to a major change of approach and tightening up since the weekend. Major concerns with total overburdening of the health resources. ‘Herd immunity’ theories and approaches now abandoned.

Much bigger level of homeworking and isolation for high risk groups coming up.

’Urgent Operational Requirements’ to fast track manufacture of additional ventilators from ‘blueprints’ is also being initiated - an approach previously only used for rapid military procurements. Unprecedented !

This study was used by the US Government as the basis for their new restrictions and foresees the possibility of 2 million deaths in the US and restrictions remaining in force until a vaccine is ready.

From the article on the study:

The researchers said that the long-term “social and economic effects” were likely to be “profound,” and that the measures were not guaranteed to succeed and could themselves have “significant impact on health and well-being.”

“No public health intervention with such disruptive effects on society has been previously attempted for such a long duration of time,” they added. “How populations and societies will respond remains unclear.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/us/coronavirus-fatality-rate-white-house.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Edited by Brad

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Any excuse will do for those people to load up on ammo.

According to a similar story in the LA Times, a lot of people buying guns and ammo are buying for the first time. The "those people" you are referring to are not likely the ones in a mad rush to stock up because most have always been stocked up. And those people buying ammo so they can't hunt for food are doing all others a solid.

Edited by catesta

Just received a communication from my employer that an employee at our location tested positive.   The flavor of communication I received indicates that they do not believe I had direct contact with that person, and the campus is large, about 1600 people across two buildings and nine floors.  Praying for the best for all involved (including myself !).

Take care, Felser, best wishes to you and yours.

It seems to me that right now, the only thing we civilians can do is to look at this in the most basic mathematical terms - everybody just limit (or if possible, eliminate) the number of optional opportunities of/for exposure (initial or further) you have, period.

And then, just....wait. Solve this particular equation by eliminating all the variables. What is left is the answer. The fewer variables left, the closer to an answer we are. The more variables remaining...the farther we are from an answer.

Doing/Thinking anything else is just (at best) hope, which as great as it is for many things, is definitely not a strategy.

1 hour ago, felser said:

Just received a communication from my employer that an employee at our location tested positive.   The flavor of communication I received indicates that they do not believe I had direct contact with that person, and the campus is large, about 1600 people across two buildings and nine floors.  Praying for the best for all involved (including myself !).

yeesh.

yeah, one of my wife's coworkers is apparently showing symptoms; my wife is not, but she last spent time with this person last Thursday so... we'll see.

17 hours ago, felser said:

Wishing you and your family the best John. 

5 hours ago, David Ayers said:

My soundtrack for these days has changed. Now it’s Ravel and Debussy. Helps me see the remaining beauty in life. 

Every day that is sunny (as is today) is a good day.  Unfortunately, all of next week looks to be wet and that will put a damper on things.

Yesterday, as I was about to get into the car, hundreds (it seems) of birds, screaming as they went, flew overhead, migrating somewhere. This is the second time I’ve seen this in two weeks. I wonder if they are telling us something. 

The birds might be telling us that spring is on the way?

Talking abut "beauty in life", I've started working from home for two weeks as a precaution, and I can't tell you how great it is to be back at a place (ie - the kitchen table) that has windows aplenty. We have a couple of bird feeders out back, one of them right next to a nice tall window, and there's a steady parade of cardinals and blue jays and sparrows (like a Doo Wop World Series!) pretty much all day. Totally delightful!

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

The birds might be telling us that spring is on the way?

Talking abut "beauty in life", I've started working from home for two weeks as a precaution, and I can't tell you how great it is to be back at a place (ie - the kitchen table) that has windows aplenty. We have a couple of bird feeders out back, one of them right next to a nice tall window, and there's a steady parade of cardinals and blue jays and sparrows (like a Doo Wop World Series!) pretty much all day. Totally delightful!

I'm finding the same joy working from my family room by the sliding door rather than from a corporate cube.  My cat and I hang out together and watch the squirrels and birds.

31 minutes ago, Brad said:

Yesterday, as I was about to get into the car, hundreds (it seems) of birds, screaming as they went, flew overhead, migrating somewhere. This is the second time I’ve seen this in two weeks. I wonder if they are telling us something. 

A damn wood pigeon crapped all over my windows this morning. ;)

Edited by sidewinder

24 minutes ago, bresna said:

FWIW, the managers who are going in right now are ignoring a directive from high up in my company that says "If you can work from, work from home". I truly do hope that they do not get this. But if they do, it's on them now. My company did all they could do short of closing the place.

Yeah, the fearless-corporate-warrior thing is a sucker's game for sure. You can't grow what you can't defend, and you can't defend what you don't protect, and you can't protect what you carelessly expose to unnecessary risk. What was that Richard Pryor line, you don't get to be old bein' no fool. Well yeah - that.

Real life is not a Marvel Movie. Just sayin'...

Just a small rant.  I've found out yesterday that our accounts payable dept. will not process invoices without the original hard copy (I kid you not!).  So I will have to come in and put the invoices into inter-office mail (which apparently is still also working) and then split.  (At least I can bike to work and shouldn't run across anyone while at work.)  Believe me, I have flagged this and elevated to the CEO, so they may see the error of their ways soon, but some people truly do not have any common sense!

I've heard similar horror stories of judges not accepting electronic filings, though I am expecting there will start being some executive orders coming down shortly (and very likely all trials and judicial proceedings will be suspended in short order).

The problem about this virus is NUMBERS.

The main contagious in Italy is in Lombardia, the top notch Health Care System in the country, same, or even better, quality and quantity of Sweden or Switzerland or whatever you like, California?

At this very moment almost ten per cent of medics and people working in Health Care are positive to covid, the army are moving death people in close regions because Lombardia hasn't got enough facilities to cremate them. It's true that we are talking mostly about old people, but what about if the system collapses? Car accidents, post surgery, lots of pathologies requires intensive care. Bad really bad when medics have to decide who treat and who don't, that means who lives who dies.

And it’s happening right now 

Edited by porcy62

8 hours ago, Joe said:

Anyone, regardless of their age, who has a pre-existing health condition - especially respiratory (say, asthma) -- should be very concerned about contracting COVID-19.

yeah, and because in America at least a lot of younger people can't afford to go to the doctor or deal with these issues, well...

• JSngry locked this topic