COVID-19 2.0: No Politics edition

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Flu like symptoms does not in and of itself mean she has anything serious other than the flu. I’ve had a cold or allergies for a month and have visited both my regular doctor and ENT and everything looks fine. When I get a cold a sinus infection usually results but this hasn’t happened this time. I’m hoping it’s the same for your wife. 

Update:  thanks to all of you who expressed concern for Mrs.Duckworth-she was perscribed some exremely powerful antibiotics and these are returning her to a healthier state.  This suggests that she developed an infection following a standard illness rather than influenza.  There is now testing near where I live, but it is very, very limited.  We are expecting to have testing somewhat more available by early next week.  We fully expect to be able to have her tested at that time, but I expect that the outcome will be good.    

37 minutes ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Update:  thanks to all of you who expressed concern for Mrs.Duckworth-she was perscribed some exremely powerful antibiotics and these are returning her to a healthier state.  This suggests that she developed an infection following a standard illness rather than influenza.  There is now testing near where I live, but it is very, very limited.  We are expecting to have testing somewhat more available by early next week.  We fully expect to be able to have her tested at that time, but I expect that the outcome will be good.    

Great news!

14 hours ago, felser said:

Pennsylvania Governor just closed down all "non life-sustaining" businesses.   My emotions cringe, but my head says it's the right move.  The statistics bear it out.

Hey, I was on the phone just yesterday to a CS rep for a PT billing department who was located outside of Harrisburgh, and when I asked her were they taking precautions about working in the office and such, here response was, "not really...we're just hoping it all blows over, to be honest with you"

OOOPS!!!!!! :g

Saxophonist Marcelo Peralta Is First Jazz Musician to Die of Coronavirus
By Michael J. West
The jazz world has suffered its first COVID-19 casualty. Marcelo Peralta, an Argentine saxophonist renowned for his innovative approach to the avant-garde and South American musical traditions, died March 10 at a hospital in Madrid, Spain.
Edited by kh1958

3 minutes ago, kh1958 said:
Saxophonist Marcelo Peralta Is First Jazz Musician to Die of Coronavirus
By Michael J. West
The jazz world has suffered its first COVID-19 casualty. Marcelo Peralta, an Argentine saxophonist renowned for his innovative approach to the avant-garde and South American musical traditions, died March 10 at a hospital in Madrid, Spain.

Damn. :( Had not heard him, but he sounds as if he was a very interesting musician. Just turned 59, seems way too young to be leaving the planet. 

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Hey, I was on the phone just yesterday to a CS rep for a PT billing department who was located outside of Harrisburgh, and when I asked her were they taking precautions about working in the office and such, here response was, "not really...we're just hoping it all blows over, to be honest with you"

OOOPS!!!!!! :g

That PA list has been totally changed up now and a lot more businesses are able to continue operations. I think we are all hoping it blows over, but yeah, if you can, stay away from the office.

I'm actually hiring people. Labor has been way tight prior to all this and we are in what is considered to be "essential or critical infrastructure maintenance" , public safety, fire risk reduction, etc.etc., so I can likely offer work and good pay for some.  We are still in the office everyday and my people still out doing what they do. It sucks, but....

Three months to 100,000 cases worldwide. 

12 days to another 100,000.

That thermometer data map I linked is now live:

https://healthweather.us/

It obviously depends on the distribution of the products (they were supposed to be sending out some large number free to people to increase distribution) for true accuracy.

NYC doesn't look so bad on their data which is certainly not where they are in reality. I heard that by Monday or Tuesday they might be out of hospital beds.

Hillsborough county where I am looks bad but there's a trend in the right direction.

"The tragedy of Italy now stands as a warning to its European neighbors and the United States, where the virus is coming with equal velocity. If Italy’s experience shows anything, it is that measures to isolate affected areas and limit the movement of the broader population need to be taken early, put in place with absolute clarity, then strictly enforced."

Italy, Pandemic's New Epicenter, Has Lessons For The Rest Of The World

... IMO our initial response was even worse than Italy's.

14 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

"The tragedy of Italy now stands as a warning to its European neighbors and the United States, where the virus is coming with equal velocity. If Italy’s experience shows anything, it is that measures to isolate affected areas and limit the movement of the broader population need to be taken early, put in place with absolute clarity, then strictly enforced."

Italy, Pandemic's New Epicenter, Has Lessons For The Rest Of The World

... IMO our initial response was even worse than Italy's.

As this is called "no politics" edition, it is impossible to compare .... but let`s state at least Italian government tried their best without knowing better, whereas ....

What is so incredibly frustrating is that the experts basically have an idea how to beat this, which is to do extremely widespread testing and then isolate the folks who have caught it (and apparently maybe put them into forced isolation, as there are individuals who are breaking quarantine, though this seems to be fairly rare).  However, there are simply not enough chemicals and swabs for the tests, and not enough labs and technicians.  It's taking close to 5 days to get a test response back in Ontario, which is completely unacceptable.  So in North America, we are flying blind.

We seem to have finally gotten to the other side of the toilet paper hoarding crisis (there was still some on the shelves at the store this evening), so I guess that's a small victory...

The next couple of weeks are going to be really tough, when the pain of all these measures doesn't seem to be having a major impact on bending the curve (because of how many people will just start showing symptoms from having caught the virus up to 10 days beforehand).

22 minutes ago, ejp626 said:

We seem to have finally gotten to the other side of the toilet paper hoarding crisis (there was still some on the shelves at the store this evening), so I guess that's a small victory...

The next stage after that is booze flying off the shelves. Noticeable increase of that here after the pubs shut up shop.

• JSngry locked this topic