COVID-19 2.0: No Politics edition

11 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

FYI, just a word about the wonderful reporting that Talking Points Memo is doing (and all their Covid19 coverage is outside of their paywall), and has done for nearly 2 decades now.

I’m a proud paying member for 3 years now (at the $100/year level), but basic membership is just $50/year. I can’t say enough good things about TPM, and I’ve been a loyal reader for 15+ years.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/

I won’t be so crass as to link to their membership page, but check out the site, visit often (lots of their reporting is available FREE), and 6 months from now, if you’re still checking them out frequently, please consider joining. If I could afford to join at their $500/year level, I would in a heartbeat.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

FYI, just a word about the wonderful reporting that Talking Points Memo is doing (and all their Covid19 coverage is outside of their paywall), and has done for nearly 2 decades now.

I’m a proud paying member for 3 years now (at the $100/year level), but basic membership is just $50/year. I can’t say enough good things about TPM, and I’ve been a loyal reader for 15+ years.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/

I won’t be so crass as to link to their membership page, but check out the site, visit often (lots of their reporting is available FREE), and 6 months from now, I’d you’re still checking them out frequently, please consider joining. If I could afford to join at their $500/year level, I would in a heartbeat.

Hey Rooster, I've been a member for the past several years as well, albeit at the basic $50/yr level.  Well worth it--a truly superlative source of reporting and commentary.  I look at it at least several times a day.

8 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Hey Rooster, I've been a member for the past several years as well, albeit at the basic $50/yr level.  Well worth it--a truly superlative source of reporting and commentary.  I look at it at least several times a day.

Looked at the website (which I'm not familiar with, I live on Politico), and they are selling membership for $35/ first year or $1 first month. 

I'm glad that TPM is providing their usual good reporting on facts. But it's also unquestionably also a political site. So if this is to be a "No Politics" thread, let's just leave it at  pointing to the factual and leave the site-pimping for personal conversations, ok?

For anyone with access to these materials and whose healthcare providers are facing a serious shortage of PPE... https://www.project-cloth-masks.com/.

Disclaimer 1: "These instructions do not guarantee protection against transmission of any diseases, but there is significant data to support the use of physical barriers to reduce transmission of airborne droplets, which can infect you with respiratory viruses. Commercially available masks meet regulatory guidelines, but homemade masks may not. Homemade masks are to be used at your own risk. Due to variability of materials and construction, the mask’s safety or effectiveness for personal protection is not proven and cannot be assumed. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Stay safe."

51 minutes ago, Brad said:

The only good news is that pollution levels have dropped globally but not enough to make a significant difference. Nonetheless, any drop, however temporary, can’t be a bad thing. 

And we don't yet know what "temporarily" will be.  Interesting point I had not thought about.

Here’s the article in the Times, Traffic and Pollution Plummet as U.S. Cities Shut Down for Coronavirus

About a month ago I had read that China’s pollution problem had improved for the very same reason.

The crisis is also straining the sewage system because people are throwing wipes, tissues and towels down the toilet. From the Times:

“As Americans clean and sterilize countertops, doorknobs, faucets and other frequently touched surfaces in their homes, many people are then tossing disinfectant wipes, paper towels and other paper products into the toilet.

The result has been a surge in backed-up sewer lines and overflowing toilets, say plumbers and public officials, who have pleaded with people to spare the nation’s pipes from further strain.

Most urban sewage systems were not designed to accommodate disinfectant wipes and paper towels, which do not break down easily, officials say. Many say the problem has been compounded by the dearth of toilet paper on store shelves, which is leading some to use paper towels, napkins or baby wipes instead.”

If you have a septic system, this is a complete no no and they are expensive to replace, speaking from personal experience. 

My understanding is that it is still illegal to pump your own gas in New Jersey (the only state with such a law).  I imagine there will be a lot of gas station attendants who may not be so willing to come out and pump gas for strangers these days.  I know NJ politicians are going to be dealing with a lot of other issues, but I do wonder if this law's days are finally numbered.

Anyway, I had read that at least some Costco's were very strictly limiting the numbers of shoppers (people can only go in after other shoppers come out).  I was pretty surprised to see this at my neighbourhood store, where they were only letting in 5 people at a time.  Last night they turned off half of the self-service kiosks to space things out a little bit more, but there wasn't quite as strict crowd control about getting into the store.  I think people were a bit surprised and frustrated but no one was really acting up or trying to cut through the line.  It will be pretty interesting to see if this level of diligence can be maintained for 4-6 weeks and beyond.

1 hour ago, GA Russell said:

Rand Paul has it and may well have passed it onto quite a few Senators.  What is so terrifying about this is he was asymptomatic and was feeling fine, but still had it (and was almost certainly infectious).  Because the US (and Canada) are so desperately short of testing equipment and facilities, the official line is if you don't have symptoms, you won't get tested -- and then obviously you can and will keep spreading it.  I'm not trying to spread blame, but right now we're up the proverbial creek.

Edited by ejp626

Around the middle of February I missed several days of work with a pretty unpleasant flu (diagnosed By teladoc).

Now I read that the loss or diminishment of taste/smell is a covid signifier and at one point I was starting to munch on peanuts that had essentially no taste. That lasted a couple of days I would say 

I also had the most hellacious coughing fits in which my throat would go into temporary spasm for 30 seconds or so. Never experienced that before.

It's also true that shortly thereafter my office mates missed work, and last week right before we went to telecommuting, one of them may have had a relapse.

So I am basically wondering if I actually had it. (My wife trailed me by a couple of days in her own experience of similar symptoms though I don't think she had a loss of taste.)

1 hour ago, Coda said:

Is there any place that is providing live virtual jazz?  I'd be willing to pay for a live stream if it helps musicians.

Cafe Oto in London if your tastes are for the out reached of the genre

13 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Around the middle of February I missed several days of work with a pretty unpleasant flu (diagnosed By teladoc).

Now I read that the loss or diminishment of taste/smell is a covid signifier and at one point I was starting to munch on peanuts that had essentially no taste. That lasted a couple of days I would say 

I also had the most hellacious coughing fits in which my throat would go into temporary spasm for 30 seconds or so. Never experienced that before.

It's also true that shortly thereafter my office mates missed work, and last week right before we went to telecommuting, one of them may have had a relapse.

So I am basically wondering if I actually had it. (My wife trailed me by a couple of days in her own experience of similar symptoms though I don't think she had a loss of taste.)

I had the same from New Year until a couple of weeks ago. Worse cough I've ever had, significant shortness of breath. Remember feeling very unwell at its peak but not sure I had the Covid temperature.  Scan showed likely pneumonia but I do wonder. Follow up x-ray this week if they're still doing them.

18 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I had the same from New Year until a couple of weeks ago. Worse cough I've ever had, significant shortness of breath. Remember feeling very unwell at its peak but not sure I had the Covid temperature.  Scan showed likely pneumonia but I do wonder. Follow up x-ray this week if they're still doing them.

What I've been reading is that not all of the symptoms show up in everyone who catches it, and we know that 80% have "mild" version of it (that just means you don't end up on a ventilator or dead).  So Mark and Dan, you may indeed have had it.

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I had something similar right over the Xmas period - most of the listed symptoms. Was bed-ridden for the best part of a week. Will never know if it was or wasn’t but it struck with a fever very quickly indeed and felt like nothing I’ve ever had before. Night sweats and waking up coughing. As the whole thing was combined with a nasty and very painful dental condition, this tended to take precedence in my attention and treatment. The chest thing took corticosteroids to shift. All of this before Coronavirus was even in the news.

Edited by sidewinder

• JSngry locked this topic