COVID-19 2.0: No Politics edition

No idea how essential it seems to the vast majority to go to the bakery store every single day.
No idea how not essential it seems to our institutions to provide more tests and more masks.
Such a guilty nonchalance.

Telecommuting - what an oxymoron - is working just fine here. Commuting from my desk to my turntable was a bit too frequent so I had to adjust. CDs only in the daytime.
Wishing the best to every person on the board and their relatives.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Around the middle of February I missed several days of work with a pretty unpleasant flu (diagnosed By teladoc).

Now I read that the loss or diminishment of taste/smell is a covid signifier and at one point I was starting to munch on peanuts that had essentially no taste. That lasted a couple of days I would say 

I also had the most hellacious coughing fits in which my throat would go into temporary spasm for 30 seconds or so. Never experienced that before.

It's also true that shortly thereafter my office mates missed work, and last week right before we went to telecommuting, one of them may have had a relapse.

So I am basically wondering if I actually had it. (My wife trailed me by a couple of days in her own experience of similar symptoms though I don't think she had a loss of taste.)

Interesting, I didn't know that about taste and smell. Were the peanuts unsalted?

I too came down with something back in late January. Viscous cough, no fever and cough aside it never ever seemed to turn into a full blown anything. I still experience a dry cough from time to time but I assume it is all allergy related since this is the time of year for that.

22 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Damn.

NYC has 11,000 reported cases in a city of like 11,000,000 people, so 1 in 1,000 right now.  And a much lower percentage of those are serious/fatal  By all means it needs taken seriously, but by using common sense and consideration, people can protect themselves and others.   This too shall pass.  There are already advances in treatment.  And I believe some things will permanently change for the better because of this.  We aren't bulletproof, but the truth is, we never were.  So that can't be our hope or confidence.

Edited by felser

4 hours ago, sonnymax said:

Fred Hersch
Time: 1 p.m. ET everyday
Link: Facebook live

Thanks Sonnymax.   I just went to the site but need to become a member to view the stream. :(  I did get lucky :excited:, Fred had just posted a list of other streaming concerts:

https://www.kqed.org/arts/13876941/a-list-of-live-virtual-concerts-to-watch-during-the-coronavirus-shutdown

Please join me tonight alongside my regular working trio, Russell Hall and Kyle Poole, as we come together in Harlem to bring the world some music in this difficult time. We hope you'll tune in and share this with your friends! 8:30PM EST Live Streaming on my Facebook Page. Tonight's concert is sponsored by The Lied Center of Kansas!

You don't have to be a Facebook member to watch the concert just click here: https://facebook.com/heyemmet

From emmet cohen.

Indiana's governor just issued a stay-at-home order for the next two weeks, and our manager just handed me two letters from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to carry with me at all times, authorizing my ability to travel and purchase fuel as an employee of an essential communications entity.  Crazy times.

1 hour ago, catesta said:

Interesting, I didn't know that about taste and smell. Were the peanuts unsalted?

I too came down with something back in late January. Viscous cough, no fever and cough aside it never ever seemed to turn into a full blown anything. I still experience a dry cough from time to time but I assume it is all allergy related since this is the time of year for that.

Peanuts were salted and that was the only flavor that just barely came thru at about 10 percent normal strength.

Still have a dry cough but that predated February illness.

28 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Indiana's governor just issued a stay-at-home order for the next two weeks, and our manager just handed me two letters from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to carry with me at all times, authorizing my ability to travel and purchase fuel as an employee of an essential communications entity.  Crazy times.

Last week I had my office prepare file folder envelopes for traveling crews that contains letters/bulletins from various organizations/agencies raging from national trade associations, power generation/distribution clients and Feds citing the essential and critical need of services we provide.

Crazy times, no doubt. We are about to start work for the MTA/LIRR which means I have to send some people from a relatively safe area out west, across the country (driving) and into New York. I'm really struggling with this.

Edited by catesta

PA governor is issuing a stay-at-home order for Philly, the four suburban Philly PA counties, which includes Montgomery County, where I am (Philly also has New Jersey suburbs), Allegheny County (which is Pittsburgh and surrounding suburbs), and Monroe County (in the Poconos, prime getaway spot for Philly people).  

Edited by felser

I'm officially provisionally unemployed since last Thursday. So far I have managed to drive my wife crazy way more than my allocated weekly allowance. She is working, so I only see her a few hours a day, but thank god for uninterrupted cellular signal. Tele-quetching ... I love it, and Im good at it.

Some observational notes :

The cable news channels are just fear-mongering machines, fine-tuned to near perfection. All of them, no matter the political angle. 

I've been working out every day, but am still not losing any weight.  WTF?!

Traffic in the the gun stores is insane; even the anti-gun people are buying firearms. It's somewhat nostalgic to see people standing 6 feet apart outside the gun shop, line is wrapping around the block, like in the USSR, when the toilet paper was said to be available...until the stock runs dry.

Speaking of the toilet paper, our BJ's was sold out of 8 pallets by 9:30am. They opened at 9. Darwinism at work. 

On the positive angle -  I'm spending a lot of time with my kids, and they are actually eager to do various chores around the house, since there isn't anything else to do, god forbid, like reading. So far they've vacuumed, washed the floors, did the laundry, and are on to the yard cleaning next. 

Went to the liquor store yesterday at 1pm, and saw the locals I've never seen before - the drunks. Makes sense now - noon is the time to refill on the cheap booze and expensive cigarettes, once you shake off enough of yesterday's hangover... 

18 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Which is what happens when you appeal to people's better nature rather than tell them. You can't be everyone's best mate in an international emergency. 

Boris is full of cr*p. What is the point of telling everyone who needs it to order home delivery when everywhere in the country is booked up for the next 1-2 months. Hopeless !

Edited by sidewinder

I posted this in the Covid poll. I thought I have to repost it here because IMO it's the wisest and smartest contribution I read about the covid, and trust me I read lots of them, unfortunately.

At the Epicenter of the Covid-19 Pandemic and Humanitarian Crises in Italy: Changing Perspectives on Preparation and Mitigation

https://catalyst.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/CAT.20.0080

• JSngry locked this topic