COVID-19 2.0: No Politics edition

9 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

You can do better than 803, go for a record!

Oh, we will do a lot "better" than 803.  Add in the suburbs and we're at 2200, and it will go multiples higher, though so far we've been spared the worst of it.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Unfathomable comment given the circumstances.

I both agree, but also recognize different people deal with extreme situations in different ways, including some rather dark humor (which then makes the comment more fathomable).

While I might not post such a comment (no guarantee of that either, I might add), I will fully admit to having said any number of similarly dark comments to my wife in the last week - usually coupled with ire directed at the asshats in the executive branch.

These are trying times, and as long as such comments are understood to be born of that, then I think it’s understandable. Again, I’m sure I’ve said a dozen similar things of late within the confines of our 4 apartment walls here in DC.

Shit’s gonna get bad, and shit people say is gonna take all forms. We’re all human.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

43 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Total U.S. deaths have doubled in just the past couple of days. We’ll pass China’s official number quite quickly at this rate:

Worldometer Coronavirus tally

U.S. cases and deaths kept spiking throughout the day yesterday. It’s a grim chart to track.

Spanish officials seem to think that cases will hit the apex very soon and then level off. We are a couple of weeks behind Spain. Unfortunately, Spain has not yet hit that mark. 

23 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I both agree, but also recognize different people deal with extreme situations in different ways, including some rather dark humor (which then makes the comment more fathomable).

While I might not post such a comment (no guarantee of that either, I might add), I will fully admit to having said any number of similarly dark comments to my wife in the last week - usually coupled with ire directed at the asshats in the executive branch.

These are trying times, and as long as such comments are understood to be born of that, then I think it’s understandable. Again, I’m sure I’ve said a dozen similar things of late within the confines of our 4 apartment walls here in DC.

Shit’s gonna get bad, and shit people say is gonna take all forms. We’re all human.

Whilst I agree with all of what you say Rooster_Ties I still think whether the intention behind the comment was darkly humourous, ironic, glib or sarcastic (and I'm only guessing obviously) it was at least insensitive and at worst, I shan't go there.  Those figures in John's original post are human deaths, families and friends affected. 

Call me censorious but I still think in these difficult times some accounting for others is needed and most of the dark humour I've enjoyed has done this well.

I'm going to leave it that on this subject, I think, as It's not really for me to understand other's motivations or thought processes and online is a notorious medium for misinterpretation which is what I hope I've done in the first instance.

41 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I will fully admit to having said any number of similarly dark comments to my wife in the last week - usually coupled with ire directed at the asshats in the executive branch.

Show her this instead. She's already stressed enough with your insightful life-related observations.

REPD6in.mp4

Edited by Dmitry

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Chuck's comment was directed to me, and I had no problem with it.  Chuck understands and cares for humanity as much as anybody.  Anyone who remembers the whole horrid situation with BrightMoments knows that.   As Rooster says, these are tough times.  If we lose any semblance of having senses of humor, that's going to make them even tougher.   We need to trust each other's good will as much as we can.

Edited by felser

6 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

For the first time in my memory, when  I smell a strong cloud of alcohol from another pedestrian, I feel relief and confidence that that person is disinfected and disease-free.

Could be an erroneous stance  ....

5 minutes ago, Brad said:

Begs the question of what will be “normal.”  Maybe normal will only become 2019 normal when there is a vaccine. 

Some things are going to change permanently, I believe.  For instance, this will usher in the telecommuting revolution.

11 minutes ago, felser said:

Some things are going to change permanently, I believe.  For instance, this will usher in the telecommuting revolution.

I’d like to see some restructuring of our healthcare system but I doubt that will happen. 

30 minutes ago, felser said:

I'm a stay-at-home dad and even I can't avoid the telecommuting revolution during the COVID crisis, which means trying to steer my mother through video visits with my daughter without ripping my hair out. :huh:

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

This makes sense as sobering as the announcement is. They're just easing restrictions in Wuhan about 4 months into a far stricter lockdown than we've experienced so far.

55 minutes ago, felser said:

I have a good friend who before this made international flights for business on average at least twice a week. He's now doing most, if not all, of those meetings remotely. If that becomes the new normal that can only be a very good thing for the environment.

• JSngry locked this topic