COVID-19 2.0: No Politics edition

10 hours ago, ejp626 said:

It's a good piece.  Zoom claims that as of Thurs, they are disabling one of the data mining features.  Zoom plays fast and loose with security settings and is more concerned about growth than privacy.  That said, when an app looks cool and fairly useful but is free or near free, then there's a good chance that the app developer is going to be reselling your data one way or another.

I'll probably continue to use Zoom in my personal life for low-stakes things and at work, they are moving to get us all into Microsoft Teams, though there is a bit more of a learning curve.  (And I imagine the data harvesting is a bit more discrete...)

I have already witnessed some of the Zoom-bombing, though it was contained to silly and then somewhat vulgar comments in the chat, which the host was able to turn off completely.  So it wasn't nearly as disruptive as it could have been.

The book club that I belong to was obviously not meeting but has decided to try to get things going again by using Zoom. I’ve decided to pass. 

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Brad said:

The book club that I belong to was obviously not meeting but has decided to try to get things going again by using Zoom. I’ve decided to pass. 

Zoom has made several changes in the past week.  Don't know that their security is "good" now, but it's better than it was.

39 minutes ago, felser said:

Zoom has made several changes in the past week.  Don't know that their security is "good" now, but it's better than it was.

Due to the critical stories they’ve received, I’m sure they’ve probably improved, although I’m going to take a wait and see attitude for now. A better system seems to be WebEx but I was outvoted, and so it goes. The book wasn’t very exciting anyway :D

6 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Good piece on the TP shortgage:

https://marker.medium.com/what-everyones-getting-wrong-about-the-toilet-paper-shortage-c812e1358fe0

If you’re looking for where all the toilet paper went, forget about people’s attics or hall closets. Think instead of all the toilet paper that normally goes to the commercial market — those office buildings, college campuses, Starbucks, and airports that are now either mostly empty or closed. That’s the toilet paper that’s suddenly going unused.

So why can’t we just send that toilet paper to Safeway or CVS? That’s where supply chains and distribution channels come in.

A local, central London hotel has just donated all its toilet paper and soap to the charity for older people that I work for to be distributed with our emergency food parcels.  More could easily do the same

4 hours ago, Brad said:

Due to the critical stories they’ve received, I’m sure they’ve probably improved, although I’m going to take a wait and see attitude for now. A better system seems to be WebEx but I was outvoted, and so it goes. The book wasn’t very exciting anyway :D

We use Microsoft Teams at Cerner, and I really like it for meetings.  Not so much for file storage.

I think there's a patch for the Zoom vulnerability.    I got this message on Thursday:

URGENT INFORMATION SECURITY NOTICE 

You are receiving this message because your laptop was detected to be running a version of Zoom that has a security vulnerability deemed critical by Enterprise Information Security.

Our IT team is preparing a patch for your computer that will be installed at approximately 10:00 am Mountain Standard time on Friday, 4/3/2020. After the installation, a reboot may be required.

If you are leveraging Zoom on any mobile devices (such as iPads, tablets, or smart phones), please go to your app store and request an upgrade for Zoom.

Please contact the help desk if you have any issues with Zoom during or after this patch update.

1 hour ago, Coda said:

I think there's a patch for the Zoom vulnerability.    I got this message on Thursday:

URGENT INFORMATION SECURITY NOTICE 

You are receiving this message because your laptop was detected to be running a version of Zoom that has a security vulnerability deemed critical by Enterprise Information Security.

Our IT team is preparing a patch for your computer that will be installed at approximately 10:00 am Mountain Standard time on Friday, 4/3/2020. After the installation, a reboot may be required.

If you are leveraging Zoom on any mobile devices (such as iPads, tablets, or smart phones), please go to your app store and request an upgrade for Zoom.

Please contact the help desk if you have any issues with Zoom during or after this patch update.

The New York City school system has decided to move away from Zoom to Microsoft Teams because of these issues, https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/04/us/nyc-schools-zoom-online-security/index.html

15 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Brooke Baldwin of CNN has it.
https://www.ajc.com/news/cnn-brooke-baldwin-positive-for-covid/PRKeL6jqz6NwrvxHszKL8M/

Chris Cuomo of CNN also has it.
https://www.boston.com/news/media/2020/04/03/chris-cuomo-covid-19-coronavirus-cnn

That makes me wonder if everybody at CNN's New York bureau has it.

It certainly suggests they need better precautions... workplaces are a prime place for transmission.

On 4/4/2020 at 11:42 AM, Brad said:

WebEx is a tested and proven product. I've used it nearly every workday for the past several years, although we typically only use the audio and screen-share functions, not the video. Looks like they've significantly upgraded the free version to remove some of the limitations it previously had compared to the paid subscription tiers. I'd be wary of Zoom as well - they've got all the buzz right now but it's apparent that they're having to scramble to manage a huge and rapid uptick in the user base. 

12 minutes ago, Hardbopjazz said:

Here's a link to the actual National Veterinary Services Laboratory statement (unless this is a phony site): https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/newsroom/news/sa_by_date/sa-2020/ny-zoo-covid-19

Also included are some basic, logical, common sense Q&As.

I thought we already discussed this, but perhaps not.  Cats can apparently get the virus from humans and spread it to other cats.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/cats-can-get-coronavirus-study-suggests-but-pet-owners-need-not-panic/

The expert consensus at the moment is that they can't spread it back to humans, though given how much we don't know about this virus and how quickly the state of knowledge changes, I wouldn't bet on this being viewed as true 3-6 months from now. 

I certainly hope cats can't spread back to humans, but I don't see any real reason why they wouldn't be a vector of transmission.

I’m not sure how much credence we should give to the research in question as the article states that:

“The results are based on lab experiments in which a small number of animals were deliberately infected with high doses of the virus, SARS-CoV-2, and do not represent real-life interactions between people and their pets, says virologist Linda Saif at The Ohio State University in Columbus.”

Edited by Brad

That is true.  However, the question of whether cats can get it in the first place was raised because some household cats had come down with the virus, and then there was a different experiment I read about where cats in different cages were passed the coronavirus.  And certainly no one deliberately infected the tiger, so the bottom line is that felines as a general species can catch and probably spread the coronavirus.

18 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

It certainly suggests they need better precautions... workplaces are a prime place for transmission.

sadly, I think we are going to find out this is similar to the Measles, and hangs in the air a lot longer than previously thought. and that's why its so important for everyone to find something to cover their faces! I don't know about you all, but here, near the ATL with few cases (so far) I still don't see many masks or gloves being worn...of course, unless you had those before, you are not going to find them now.

a few articles I just came across....this one is from mid March

https://www.wired.com/story/they-say-coronavirus-isnt-airborne-but-its-definitely-borne-by-air/

and the flu they were saying was spread easier than they thought, in 2018, so....

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20180119/flu-may-be-spread-by-just-breathing#1

Edited by BERIGAN

38 minutes ago, bresna said:

Holy cow... the idiocy of some people. If they only asked, someone could explain to them that 5G uses the same signals as 2G, 3G & 4G. 5G just uses them differently. Killing cell phone towers will not stop those signals from being broadcast. In fact, killing towers forces the remaining towers to broadcast at higher power levels to maintain coverage in the area. Dolts.

My old hometown, Holyoke, MA, has made the national news for all the wrong reasons. The Holyoke Soldiers' Home had a massive outbreak of COVID-19 and their handling of it is almost criminal. I can't imagine if this was a story about my dad: https://www.wbur.org/commonhealth/2020/04/05/holyoke-soldiers-home-veteran-family-response

I used to live in that neck of the woods; went to law school at WNEC. 

I'm curious and have a question for those working from home that otherwise would not be.

If say in 30 days, things appear to resume back to a somewhat normal situation and your employer/place of business recalls you to the office/store/shop, do you think there will be some separation anxiety? I mean in the sense of leaving home, not being around pets all day, kids, significant other, etc.

Will you be freaked out some or looking forward to it?

I can't truly speak to it since I am still going out everyday but I'm obviously spending more time at home at night and on the weekends.

• JSngry locked this topic