COVID-19 2.0: No Politics edition

10 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

Grim evidence that the official COVID death count is a significant undercount https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/10/nyregion/new-york-coronavirus-death-count.html

Not the first reputable source I’ve seen that suggests the overall number of deaths and cases in general may be significantly higher than the official totals compiled so far. 

We just had our first official death from the virus here in Monroe County (though it’s likely at least one other person died of it, but the state didn’t grant the county coroner’s request to conduct a posthumous test) and a firefighter in Terre Haute just passed away as well. Indianapolis and upper northwest Indiana (aka “Da Region” or “Chicagoland”) getting hit the hardest here in Indiana.

Edited by ghost of miles

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Soulstation1 said:

any guesses on when music concerts will be starting back up ?

i saw something yesterday that says maybe Sept / Oct 2021

i hope not 

Sept/Oct at the earliest, I’m afraid.  Lincoln Center, for example, has cancelled all of its summer programming. Here at IU all summer events have been cancelled; we’re looking at trying to turn our outdoor Jazz In July concert series into Swing In September, but even that looks unlikely right now.

Until a vaccine is manufactured and widely distributed (at least a year away, current consensus seems to be), I really don’t see how any kind of mass events—whether you’re talking 50-100 people in a small club or 50,000 people in a football stadium—are going to be able to be undertaken safely.

Why Sports Aren’t Coming Back Any Time Soon

Edited by ghost of miles

59 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Sept/Oct at the earliest, I’m afraid.  Lincoln Center, for example, has cancelled all of its summer programming. Here at IU all summer events have been cancelled; we’re looking at trying to turn our outdoor Jazz In July concert series into Swing In September, but even that looks unlikely right now.

Until a vaccine is manufactured and widely distributed (at least a year away, current consensus seems to be), I really don’t see how any kind of mass events—whether you’re talking 50-100 people in a small club or 50,000 people in a football stadium—are going to be able to be undertaken safely.

That article about sums it up. Throw in concerts, movie and theatre going, basically any large gathering. Economically, I don’t see how some organizations will survive this.  AMC Theatres is facing bankruptcy right now. AMC theaters in talks to hire bankruptcy law firm Weil Gotshal amid coronavirus shutdown

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

I think it depends on how effectively you can practice/enforce social distancing in these events.  You could probably seat at some people in any location (and clean thoroughly afterward), but at 6 feet apart it would be a fraction of normal capacity

We have some friends who are teachers, and they are having a very hard time coping with the online format day after day.  I couldn't do it, find myself sometimes mentally exhausted after leading a single meeting on MS Teams.

1 hour ago, felser said:

We have some friends who are teachers, and they are having a very hard time coping with the online format day after day.  I couldn't do it, find myself sometimes mentally exhausted after leading a single meeting on MS Teams.

I just closed a major transaction on April 10th which pretty much involved a complete buyout of my business partners. I'm in the office every day, but the lawyers, accountants, bank reps, and advisor firm people all working from home made it very excruciating. I've never been though anything else like this before, but I'd have to think it would have been a little smoother if not for the current circumstances.

11 minutes ago, catesta said:

I've never been though anything else like this before, but I'd have to think it would have been a little smoother if not for the current circumstances.

I'm fortunate that I work on a really small team and my work is quite technical, and I don't really have to talk to people on a regular basis.  But there are still a few company-wide WebEx or Teams meetings that I have to participate in, and they are definitely excruciating.  So now to add to the list of twits (along with the people who keep insisting on Replying All "Why am I on this email chain?"), let's add the people who call in and don't put their phone on mute as well as the organizers who don't use the option to remove the beep when people join the call.  9th Circle of Hell for all of them.

Encouraging news from one treatment study at one hospital (the same study is ongoing elsewhere):

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/16/early-peek-at-data-on-gilead-coronavirus-drug-suggests-patients-are-responding-to-treatment/

An effective treatment - if the drug won't be impossible to produce in sufficient quantities - would be a game changer in terms of movement toward "normality".

On 4/16/2020 at 6:14 PM, Dan Gould said:

Encouraging news from one treatment study at one hospital (the same study is ongoing elsewhere):

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/16/early-peek-at-data-on-gilead-coronavirus-drug-suggests-patients-are-responding-to-treatment/

An effective treatment - if the drug won't be impossible to produce in sufficient quantities - would be a game changer in terms of movement toward "normality".

Keep in mind that this was funded by Gilead, and also that there was no control placebo group, so although it's tempting to jump to conclusions that it is a miracle drug, there's a lot of of testing that still needs to be conducted in controlled trials.

1 minute ago, GregK said:

Keep in mind that this was funded by Gilead, and also that there was no control placebo group, so although it's tempting to jump to conclusions that it is a miracle drug, there's a lot of of testing that still needs to be conducted in controlled trials.

Yes I understand those caveats. But only two died out of 113 "severe" cases and the rest recovered?  That's pretty damn impressive, now let's see what the other locations report.

46 minutes ago, GregK said:

Not sure I’d want to be in the control group on that one...

Almost every day, I have been receiving emails from arts organizations requesting donations due to the hardships caused by the closure of venues and cancellation of performances as the result of the social distancing orders that have been implemented world wide.  With respect to organizations that present music, it will be interesting to see whether any of the tech giants that offer music streaming services will step up and donate money to any of these organizations to prevent them from closing.  I do not subscribe to a music streaming service, but large parts, if not the entirety, of many musicians' discographies are available on You Tube without cost to the viewer. The payments made to the musicians for the use of their work by these tech companies has been widely reported to be microscopic in nature.  Many musicians have complained that these companies enable people to enjoy their work without providing them with fair compensation.  It would be nice to hear that one of these companies, or one of the people that made billions as the result of being associated with their operation or creation, donated the small amounts necessary to ensure the survival of these small arts organizations and the artists who rely on them for income.

1 hour ago, Brad said:

As the article indicates, at this stage, the results are anecdotal at best. Releasing this kind of news is not necessarily a good idea because if subsequent results are disappointing, hopes will be dashed. 

Another way to look at it is that it knowing about a potential good thing is one thing, but formulating "hopes" that extend past the known facts around it is something else entirely.

15 hours ago, mjzee said:

Thanks for posting this.  I've definitely been worried about the Vanguard and the other clubs' ability to ride this out, especially for the reason Gordon cites--that even when the city "re-opens," how many people are going to feel comfortable crowding into a small space like the VV?  I've been there several times and you're all but sitting elbow-to-elbow with other people; social distancing would be extremely difficult unless they lessened the already-limited seating capacity, which makes the economics of survival even more difficult.  

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Don’t inject disinfectants, Lysol warns...

https://apnews.com/697d9ecef7f89cf5e9abb3b008c7faa7

Good gawd almighty.  A friend texted me about this insane dumbassery last night.  Must not discuss politics... must not discuss politics... JFC!!!

• JSngry locked this topic