ghost of miles

COVID-19 2.0: No Politics edition

566 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

If an individual poster is violating the no-politics or no-tinfoil-talk or whatever board policy is applied, then it seems far more logical to warn and/or ban that poster and delete his offending posts than it does to shut down the entire thread, which ends up being a blanket punishment of all posters. 

I have no way to actually ban a poster, and don't have the time to micro-scrub an entire thread.

IF this thread shuts down, it will be the same as the last time - nothing will be deleted, and a new thread is certainly free to begin in its place.

That's not punishment, that's trying (probably in vain...) to demonstrate a respect for the common rules of this forum - no political discussion - and also a common respect for the agreement that this COVID-19 thread was going to be limited to factual information and personal proven experience.

There is no room here for anything that is not provable, especially speculations about the underlying "motives" of either the cause or the response of the COVID-19 situation. Save it for Facebook or some place like that.

In this day and age services can be streamed so I have no problem with pastors suffering consequences for putting their community at risk.

In Tampa a pastor turned himself in and had the temerity to claim that they practiced social distancing between families during the services.

I saw the video on the news it was a flat out falsehood.

29 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Thank you. I stand corrected. The detergent not just binds the dirt on your skin, but dismantles the structure of the virus.  Apologies to Brad.

None needed Dmitry :)

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I have no way to actually ban a poster, and don't have the time to micro-scrub an entire thread.

IF this thread shuts down, it will be the same as the last time - nothing will be deleted, and a new thread is certainly free to begin in its place.

That's not punishment, that's trying (probably in vain...) to demonstrate a respect for the common rules of this forum - no political discussion - and also a common respect for the agreement that this COVID-19 thread was going to be limited to factual information and personal proven experience.

There is no room here for anything that is not provable, especially speculations about the underlying "motives" of either the cause or the response of the COVID-19 situation. Save it for Facebook or some place like that.

As someone who served as a mod for years, I can say that it would take less time to 'micro-scrub' a few nutty posts and the replies from one page than it would to post any of the likely dozens of posts you've made on the thread.  If you don't want to devote a negligible amount of time to performing moderator duties, maybe it's time for some new blood.  It'd be absurd to shut down another useful thread because you simply can't be bothered. 

3 hours ago, Niko said:

thinking a bit more simplistic - isn't he violating the "no politics" rule?

I have not mentioned any names of anything or anyone political oriented

Posted (edited)

56 minutes ago, Justin V said:

As someone who served as a mod for years, I can say that it would take less time to 'micro-scrub' a few nutty posts and the replies from one page than it would to post any of the likely dozens of posts you've made on the thread.  If you don't want to devote a negligible amount of time to performing moderator duties, maybe it's time for some new blood.  It'd be absurd to shut down another useful thread because you simply can't be bothered. 

I'm willing to moderate this thread if need be, but I don't currently have moderator capabilities.  Happy to "micro-scrub" any posts with potential political germs!  

Edited by ghost of miles

The moderation is just fine here, no need for volunteers.

3 hours ago, Brad said:

I embedded my answers in bold. 

Just delete the posts and any replies. That’s not difficult. I used to be a moderator and am willing to do that again, if you all are interested. 

Brad, you're an attorney, right?  What is the difference to the common man between martial law and a national lockdown order.  Would not martial law first need to be established (at least de facto) before a lockdown order?

"Some" giveaways?  $16,900. is 93% of $18,100.

I see how the bailout of Capital One affects me.  My question is, How would I be affected if it were allowed to go bankrupt?

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

In this day and age services can be streamed so I have no problem with pastors suffering consequences for putting their community at risk.

In Tampa a pastor turned himself in and had the temerity to claim that they practiced social distancing between families during the services.

I saw the video on the news it was a flat out falsehood.

I'm probably as openly born-again Christian as anyone active on the board, and I'm good with closing the churches to keep us alive.  Have been doing everything online, including "attending" livestreaming of worship services, leading my men's bible study via Zoom, etc., and it's all good, and we're all healthy and protecting the health of others.

Martial law, in its simplest terms, is the imposition of military rule and the suspension of the operation of laws. Apparently, we’ve had that happen a few times, according to this Wikipedia article,  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_law_in_the_United_States Although the right of habeas corpus was suspended during the Civil War, there was not universal martial law in the US.

If the President ordered a national lockdown, I don’t believe that would involve the suspension of most laws.

Although I haven’t practiced bankruptcy law in many years, if a bank went bankrupt, you’d be a creditor of the bankrupt bank. However, I can’t see that the Feds would ever allow a bank of Capital One’s size to go under. Even during the mortgage crisis, most investment banks that were in trouble like Bear Stearns were acquired by someone else, with the notable exception of Lehman Brothers.  

Posted (edited)

Thanks, Brad.  I was not thinking in terms of the suspension of laws, but rather solitary rules of the government prohibiting you from exercising a constitutional right.

That is my concern about going to church.  I completely agree that it is best to stay home and watch the service, but I am troubled by the notion that the government CAN make you do what it thinks is best.

By the way, I see the basic issue of rights during a threat of a pandemic to be entirely non-partisan from an American perspective.  A legal question rather than a political one.  That is to say...A political debate would be over what the government policy OUGHT to be, while a legal debate concerns identifying powers the government already has.

Edited by GA Russell

5 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I'm not fine (and apparently not alone) with any and every thread about this topic, which is the dominating factor in all of our lives right now, potentially getting blown up because a single poster goes off the rails.  EDIT:  just remembered Jim A's post about this kind of discussion (re moderation) from 2013 and will adhere to it.

Any and every? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This is the second, and it's still open. And the first is still open for all to view. Hopefully it's not a major inconvenience to go find it and look at it.

Here, let me make it easy:

Y'all just keep it between the lines and everything will be fine.

And for the record - COVID-19 itself is NOT the "dominating factor" in my life right now. I'm observing all possible precautions and adjustments, and am still working a day job and having a family life and playing records and everything else. I process the information, make the necessary adjustments, and keep on keepin' on. It's the Jazz thing to do!

i feel blessed - truly blessed -  to have that option. For those who don't, thoughts and prayers, etc. Seriously.

For those who do have that option but choose to react differently to that which they cannot control...can't help you there. Here, it's BAUOD (Business As Usual Only Different) unless and until otherwise impossible. I still have people depending on me, both personally and professionally, and THAT is still the dominating factor in my life right now. Babysitting a bulletin board of ostensibly disciplined, responsible adults is still on the list, but not always at the top of it, so sorry about that.

Like all of you, I have opinions - very strong opinions - about what has already happened, what has not happened but should have, and what I fear is going to happen not just in the immediate next few weeks, but in the months ahead. Very strong opinions.

But this board and this thread is not the place for that, and moderation will proceed accordingly, especially as it pertains to anybody who insists on rambling on about conspiracy theories and such. That ain't playing here.

Now, back to work, the kind that pays, like, real money.

12 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Any and every? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This is the second, and it's still open. And the first is still open for all to view. Hopefully it's not a major inconvenience to go find it and look at it.

Here, let me make it easy:

Y'all just keep it between the lines and everything will be fine.

And for the record - COVID-19 itself is NOT the "dominating factor" in my life right now. I'm observing all possible precautions and adjustments, and am still working a day job and having a family life and playing records and everything else. I process the information, make the necessary adjustments, and keep on keepin' on. It's the Jazz thing to do!

i feel blessed - truly blessed -  to have that option. For those who don't, thoughts and prayers, etc. Seriously.

For those who do have that option but choose to react differently to that which they cannot control...can't help you there. Here, it's BAUOD (Business As Usual Only Different) unless and until otherwise impossible. I still have people depending on me, both personally and professionally, and THAT is still the dominating factor in my life right now. Babysitting a bulletin board of ostensibly disciplined, responsible adults is still on the list, but not always at the top of it, so sorry about that.

Like all of you, I have opinions - very strong opinions - about what has already happened, what has not happened but should have, and what I fear is going to happen not just in the immediate next few weeks, but in the months ahead. Very strong opinions.

But this board and this thread is not the place for that, and moderation will proceed accordingly, especially as it pertains to anybody who insists on rambling on about conspiracy theories and such. That ain't playing here.

Now, back to work, the kind that pays, like, real money.

I deleted my previous post because it seemed to fall into the "arguing about moderation" category that Jim A defined back in his 2013 post in the Forums Discussion area.  My offer to help moderate remains valid.  As to "dominant factor," you're splitting semantic hairs IMO.  I'm not sitting at home feeling stressed out and helpless, and I'm one of the few employees still required to go to work at our facilities several days a week.  No problem with that and no need for help of any kind.  But to say it's not the dominant factor in life right now is a willed semantic definition (Hey, still goin' about my business!) that, well, whatever gets you through the night, all right.  

5 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I deleted my previous post because it seemed to fall into the "arguing about moderation" category that Jim A defined back in his 2013 post in the Forums Discussion area.  My offer to help moderate remains valid.  As to "dominant factor," you're splitting semantic hairs IMO.  I'm not sitting at home feeling stressed out and helpless, and I'm one of the few employees still required to go to work at our facilities several days a week.  No problem with that and no need for help of any kind.  But to say it's not the dominant factor in life right now is a willed semantic definition (Hey, still goin' about my business!) that, well, whatever gets you through the night, all right.  

Semantic hairs? Seriously?

I said it's not the dominant factor in my life, and it's not.

It's a factor, of course, DUH!!!

Back to work.

That's beautiful!!!

8 hours ago, felser said:

I'm probably as openly born-again Christian as anyone active on the board, and I'm good with closing the churches to keep us alive.  Have been doing everything online, including "attending" livestreaming of worship services, leading my men's bible study via Zoom, etc., and it's all good, and we're all healthy and protecting the health of others.

My step-brother is a pastor, and he goes to his empty church and preaches.  I assume it's live-streamed but don't have all the details at my finger tips.  It's not a perfect solution, but it's one that keeps the community safe.

Posted (edited)

On 4/1/2020 at 5:05 AM, GA Russell said:

The government has stressed the need for everyone to stay six feet apart from one another.  Also, no groups greater than 10 people.  So if a small firm can meet those two requirements, why are governments prohibiting them from business-as-usual because their product is deemed "non-essential?"

I think you're framing this incorrectly.

The recommendations you mentioned aren't, on their own, magic talismans that absolutely prevent COVID spread.  They aren't 100% effective, and adherence to them is probably imperfect.  5 people all working in the same place might cross paths closer than 6 feet pretty frequently (even if they make the effort not to do so); are touching a lot of the same surfaces (it's hard to clean these sufficiently thoroughly/frequently); and may be bringing in COVID from outside of work.

Restricting non-essential businesses mean that there is one common channel for COVID transmission that's shut down.

Edited by Guy Berger

My company's work has been deemed "essential", so we remain open. Most days, I work from home but on some days, like today, I have to come in because there's something going on in the lab that needs me there. So I came in today and went to go help another engineer fix a test box. No matter how hard we tried, it was impossible to stay 6 feet away. The tester itself is too small and we always seemed to have to move into the same space to attach something. I just gave up and went back up to my office. This is a lab with 100's of square feet of workspace and I still couldn't stay 6 feet away from someone. :) 

I can't imagine how hard it would be in a restaurant kitchen.

I have a friend with 3 small children who isn't taking social distancing seriously.  He attended a funeral that required a drive of 800+ miles and was attended by a large extended family.  Knowing his kids, he certainly stopped a million times along the way there and back.  He then came home and recorded a podcast in person with a friend, which could have been recorded differently. 

After reading an article about how a large funeral in Georgia touched off a number of infections and deaths, I hope that he and his family didn't contract the virus by being careless. :huh:

1 hour ago, Guy Berger said:

I think you're framing this incorrectly.

The recommendations you mentioned aren't, on their own, magic talismans that absolutely prevent COVID spread.  They aren't 100% effective, and adherence to them is probably imperfect.  5 people all working in the same place might cross paths closer than 6 feet pretty frequently (even if they make the effort not to do so); are touching a lot of the same surfaces (it's hard to clean these sufficiently thoroughly/frequently); and may be bringing in COVID from outside of work.

Restricting non-essential businesses mean that there is one common channel for COVID transmission that's shut down.

Yeah, Dr. Birx (and she DOES dress well, I think we can all agree on that, and I thank her for bringing color and shape to an otherwise drab and shapeless podium every day) made the point that the only tool we have at our disposal to alter the course of this thing is behavior - our own behavior.

Total prevention is not the objective of social distancing. Total prevention would require a TOTAL lockdown, like you go in and you don't come out for anything. Either that or just everybody get out in the open, let the thing run its course, only the strong survive, EVERYBODY else dies. Yuck.

Social distancing is simply the best way to hedge your bets. You don't just open your door to the damn thing, you keep it back, and you take responsible action afterwards, just in case. Basic math, really.

I get that it's not what we're "used to", but unless/until this goes past any reasonable stage of virus spread, oh fucking well. Life is not always convenient, and a diseased population ain't exactly gonna have all that "freedom" anyway, right?

%7B10772A2A-3FA2-488D-BCCD-58B402253753%

Let's just do this thing.