ghost of miles

COVID-19 2.0: No Politics edition

566 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Hey, I was on the phone just yesterday to a CS rep for a PT billing department who was located outside of Harrisburgh, and when I asked her were they taking precautions about working in the office and such, here response was, "not really...we're just hoping it all blows over, to be honest with you"

OOOPS!!!!!! :g

That PA list has been totally changed up now and a lot more businesses are able to continue operations. I think we are all hoping it blows over, but yeah, if you can, stay away from the office.

I'm actually hiring people. Labor has been way tight prior to all this and we are in what is considered to be "essential or critical infrastructure maintenance" , public safety, fire risk reduction, etc.etc., so I can likely offer work and good pay for some.  We are still in the office everyday and my people still out doing what they do. It sucks, but....

Three months to 100,000 cases worldwide. 

12 days to another 100,000.

That thermometer data map I linked is now live:

https://healthweather.us/

It obviously depends on the distribution of the products (they were supposed to be sending out some large number free to people to increase distribution) for true accuracy.

NYC doesn't look so bad on their data which is certainly not where they are in reality. I heard that by Monday or Tuesday they might be out of hospital beds.

Hillsborough county where I am looks bad but there's a trend in the right direction.

Our county, Morris County, is in the mild band. As of yesterday, we had 35 cases, better than the more urbanized parts of NJ. 

"The tragedy of Italy now stands as a warning to its European neighbors and the United States, where the virus is coming with equal velocity. If Italy’s experience shows anything, it is that measures to isolate affected areas and limit the movement of the broader population need to be taken early, put in place with absolute clarity, then strictly enforced."

Italy, Pandemic's New Epicenter, Has Lessons For The Rest Of The World

... IMO our initial response was even worse than Italy's.

14 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

"The tragedy of Italy now stands as a warning to its European neighbors and the United States, where the virus is coming with equal velocity. If Italy’s experience shows anything, it is that measures to isolate affected areas and limit the movement of the broader population need to be taken early, put in place with absolute clarity, then strictly enforced."

Italy, Pandemic's New Epicenter, Has Lessons For The Rest Of The World

... IMO our initial response was even worse than Italy's.

As this is called "no politics" edition, it is impossible to compare .... but let`s state at least Italian government tried their best without knowing better, whereas ....

What is so incredibly frustrating is that the experts basically have an idea how to beat this, which is to do extremely widespread testing and then isolate the folks who have caught it (and apparently maybe put them into forced isolation, as there are individuals who are breaking quarantine, though this seems to be fairly rare).  However, there are simply not enough chemicals and swabs for the tests, and not enough labs and technicians.  It's taking close to 5 days to get a test response back in Ontario, which is completely unacceptable.  So in North America, we are flying blind.

We seem to have finally gotten to the other side of the toilet paper hoarding crisis (there was still some on the shelves at the store this evening), so I guess that's a small victory...

The next couple of weeks are going to be really tough, when the pain of all these measures doesn't seem to be having a major impact on bending the curve (because of how many people will just start showing symptoms from having caught the virus up to 10 days beforehand).

22 minutes ago, ejp626 said:

We seem to have finally gotten to the other side of the toilet paper hoarding crisis (there was still some on the shelves at the store this evening), so I guess that's a small victory...

The next stage after that is booze flying off the shelves. Noticeable increase of that here after the pubs shut up shop.

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

FYI, just a word about the wonderful reporting that Talking Points Memo is doing (and all their Covid19 coverage is outside of their paywall), and has done for nearly 2 decades now.

I’m a proud paying member for 3 years now (at the $100/year level), but basic membership is just $50/year. I can’t say enough good things about TPM, and I’ve been a loyal reader for 15+ years.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/

I won’t be so crass as to link to their membership page, but check out the site, visit often (lots of their reporting is available FREE), and 6 months from now, if you’re still checking them out frequently, please consider joining. If I could afford to join at their $500/year level, I would in a heartbeat.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

29 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

FYI, just a word about the wonderful reporting that Talking Points Memo is doing (and all their Covid19 coverage is outside of their paywall), and has done for nearly 2 decades now.

I’m a proud paying member for 3 years now (at the $100/year level), but basic membership is just $50/year. I can’t say enough good things about TPM, and I’ve been a loyal reader for 15+ years.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/

I won’t be so crass as to link to their membership page, but check out the site, visit often (lots of their reporting is available FREE), and 6 months from now, I’d you’re still checking them out frequently, please consider joining. If I could afford to join at their $500/year level, I would in a heartbeat.

Hey Rooster, I've been a member for the past several years as well, albeit at the basic $50/yr level.  Well worth it--a truly superlative source of reporting and commentary.  I look at it at least several times a day.

8 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Hey Rooster, I've been a member for the past several years as well, albeit at the basic $50/yr level.  Well worth it--a truly superlative source of reporting and commentary.  I look at it at least several times a day.

Looked at the website (which I'm not familiar with, I live on Politico), and they are selling membership for $35/ first year or $1 first month. 

I'm glad that TPM is providing their usual good reporting on facts. But it's also unquestionably also a political site. So if this is to be a "No Politics" thread, let's just leave it at  pointing to the factual and leave the site-pimping for personal conversations, ok?

For anyone with access to these materials and whose healthcare providers are facing a serious shortage of PPE... https://www.project-cloth-masks.com/.

Disclaimer 1: "These instructions do not guarantee protection against transmission of any diseases, but there is significant data to support the use of physical barriers to reduce transmission of airborne droplets, which can infect you with respiratory viruses. Commercially available masks meet regulatory guidelines, but homemade masks may not. Homemade masks are to be used at your own risk. Due to variability of materials and construction, the mask’s safety or effectiveness for personal protection is not proven and cannot be assumed. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Stay safe."

The only good news is that pollution levels have dropped globally but not enough to make a significant difference. Nonetheless, any drop, however temporary, can’t be a bad thing. 

51 minutes ago, Brad said:

The only good news is that pollution levels have dropped globally but not enough to make a significant difference. Nonetheless, any drop, however temporary, can’t be a bad thing. 

And we don't yet know what "temporarily" will be.  Interesting point I had not thought about.

Here’s the article in the Times, Traffic and Pollution Plummet as U.S. Cities Shut Down for Coronavirus

About a month ago I had read that China’s pollution problem had improved for the very same reason.

The crisis is also straining the sewage system because people are throwing wipes, tissues and towels down the toilet. From the Times:

“As Americans clean and sterilize countertops, doorknobs, faucets and other frequently touched surfaces in their homes, many people are then tossing disinfectant wipes, paper towels and other paper products into the toilet.

The result has been a surge in backed-up sewer lines and overflowing toilets, say plumbers and public officials, who have pleaded with people to spare the nation’s pipes from further strain.

Most urban sewage systems were not designed to accommodate disinfectant wipes and paper towels, which do not break down easily, officials say. Many say the problem has been compounded by the dearth of toilet paper on store shelves, which is leading some to use paper towels, napkins or baby wipes instead.”

If you have a septic system, this is a complete no no and they are expensive to replace, speaking from personal experience. 

Hey all... hope you are doing ok, or at least as well as possible under current circumstances.  Glad we have this community.

My local making life liveable, only one person allowed in at a time, sanitizer bottle at the door 

My understanding is that it is still illegal to pump your own gas in New Jersey (the only state with such a law).  I imagine there will be a lot of gas station attendants who may not be so willing to come out and pump gas for strangers these days.  I know NJ politicians are going to be dealing with a lot of other issues, but I do wonder if this law's days are finally numbered.

Anyway, I had read that at least some Costco's were very strictly limiting the numbers of shoppers (people can only go in after other shoppers come out).  I was pretty surprised to see this at my neighbourhood store, where they were only letting in 5 people at a time.  Last night they turned off half of the self-service kiosks to space things out a little bit more, but there wasn't quite as strict crowd control about getting into the store.  I think people were a bit surprised and frustrated but no one was really acting up or trying to cut through the line.  It will be pretty interesting to see if this level of diligence can be maintained for 4-6 weeks and beyond.