ghost of miles

COVID-19 2.0: No Politics edition

566 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I like how they paid attention and actually DID "see it coming".

As opposed to what other supermarket  chain? With all due respect, it reads like a fluff piece. If they did "see it coming", all the upper management would've dumped their 401k holdings, and opened CDs. 

Yeah, ok.

7 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

http://shanghaiist.com/2020/03/27/urns-in-wuhan-far-exceed-death-toll-raising-more-questions-about-chinas-tally/

The implications of this for the accuracy of China's reporting is truly horrific.

It’s hard to know what to make of this.  Presumably people in Wuhan were dying of other things during this period that couldn’t be buried.  (Maybe even more than usual due to overloading of the healthcare system.)  There were also probably people who died before they could get tested.

Unfortunately, even if there was undercounting of Chinese deaths from coronavirus, the true number is likely to be much lower than the eventual count here in the US. :(

44 minutes ago, Guy Berger said:

Unfortunately, even if there was undercounting of Chinese deaths from coronavirus, the true number is likely to be much lower than the eventual count here in the US. :(

Guy, what directs you to think so?

58 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Guy, what directs you to think so?

If the US is extremely lucky, the number of COVID deaths will be in the low 6 digits.

Keep in mind that some of the factors for the China undercount are likely to crop up here too.

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Guy Berger said:

If the US is extremely lucky, the number of COVID deaths will be in the low 6 digits.

Keep in mind that some of the factors for the China undercount are likely to crop up here too.

I understand that you are convinced that Chinese death numbers are/will be lower than ours will be when it's all tallied up? I'm scratching my head as to why you are saying that..

Edited by Dmitry

4 hours ago, Soulstation1 said:

Tucson is staring to look like a ghost town 

Hopefully most towns are.

We only go out for groceries & the mail - nervous about both. Corona at the main post office.

Even MVD is closed. Schools closed through the end of the spring semester.

Gov. Cuomo thinks this will peak in the next two to three weeks. I assume the same pattern will follow in NJ, which now has 11,000 cases. I’m not even sure I will go to the grocery store during that stretch. 

Philly region has grown over past week from 85 cases to 803 cases.  We are well stocked and hunkered in for awhile except for our daughter who works at a bank, but the bank is taking very limited walk-in traffic (loan closings only).

12 minutes ago, felser said:

Philly region has grown over past week from 85 cases to 803 cases.  We are well stocked and hunkered in for awhile except for our daughter who works at a bank, but the bank is taking very limited walk-in traffic (loan closings only).

You can do better than 803, go for a record!

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know."

- Donald Rumsfeld

9 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Oh, we will do a lot "better" than 803.  Add in the suburbs and we're at 2200, and it will go multiples higher, though so far we've been spared the worst of it.

F7E37698-C7D3-4E9B-86FA-15BF7AFD40AA.jpeg

10 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Unfathomable comment given the circumstances.

Total U.S. deaths have doubled in just the past couple of days. We’ll pass China’s official number quite quickly at this rate:

Worldometer Coronavirus tally

U.S. cases and deaths kept spiking throughout the day yesterday. It’s a grim chart to track.

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Unfathomable comment given the circumstances.

I both agree, but also recognize different people deal with extreme situations in different ways, including some rather dark humor (which then makes the comment more fathomable).

While I might not post such a comment (no guarantee of that either, I might add), I will fully admit to having said any number of similarly dark comments to my wife in the last week - usually coupled with ire directed at the asshats in the executive branch.

These are trying times, and as long as such comments are understood to be born of that, then I think it’s understandable. Again, I’m sure I’ve said a dozen similar things of late within the confines of our 4 apartment walls here in DC.

Shit’s gonna get bad, and shit people say is gonna take all forms. We’re all human.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

43 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Total U.S. deaths have doubled in just the past couple of days. We’ll pass China’s official number quite quickly at this rate:

Worldometer Coronavirus tally

U.S. cases and deaths kept spiking throughout the day yesterday. It’s a grim chart to track.

Spanish officials seem to think that cases will hit the apex very soon and then level off. We are a couple of weeks behind Spain. Unfortunately, Spain has not yet hit that mark. 

23 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I both agree, but also recognize different people deal with extreme situations in different ways, including some rather dark humor (which then makes the comment more fathomable).

While I might not post such a comment (no guarantee of that either, I might add), I will fully admit to having said any number of similarly dark comments to my wife in the last week - usually coupled with ire directed at the asshats in the executive branch.

These are trying times, and as long as such comments are understood to be born of that, then I think it’s understandable. Again, I’m sure I’ve said a dozen similar things of late within the confines of our 4 apartment walls here in DC.

Shit’s gonna get bad, and shit people say is gonna take all forms. We’re all human.

Whilst I agree with all of what you say Rooster_Ties I still think whether the intention behind the comment was darkly humourous, ironic, glib or sarcastic (and I'm only guessing obviously) it was at least insensitive and at worst, I shan't go there.  Those figures in John's original post are human deaths, families and friends affected. 

Call me censorious but I still think in these difficult times some accounting for others is needed and most of the dark humour I've enjoyed has done this well.

I'm going to leave it that on this subject, I think, as It's not really for me to understand other's motivations or thought processes and online is a notorious medium for misinterpretation which is what I hope I've done in the first instance.

Posted (edited)

41 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I will fully admit to having said any number of similarly dark comments to my wife in the last week - usually coupled with ire directed at the asshats in the executive branch.

Show her this instead. She's already stressed enough with your insightful life-related observations.

REPD6in.mp4

Edited by Dmitry

11 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

go for a record!

good luck on that one...

1 hour ago, Brad said:

F7E37698-C7D3-4E9B-86FA-15BF7AFD40AA.jpeg

As always, a Venn Diagram tells the truth when nothing else does!

Love that video of Spin Me Round Records. Phillipsburg is about an hour from here — yes, a little far — but will go there once this is all over.