Facetime problem

I have a doctor whom I see regularly who is no longer, because of COVID, seeing patients in person but only via Facetime. That ap was new to me, but I cranked it up and discovered that, though we both have IMacs, my doc couldn't hook up with me via Facetime nor could I with him. Meanwhile he was able to hook up with all his other patients via Facetime just fine. And I could hook up with my wife via Facetime and she with me.

I talked to Apple support  about this for hours yesterday and today. At first we thought we had an answer; my Facetime notification was turned off, even though I'd never used Facetime before. But when it was turned back on, same problems as before; my doc couldn't reach me via Facetime  nor I him; my wife could reach me via Facetime and I could reach her.

Anyone have any thoughts of what's amiss here and how to solve it?

P.S. I'm running High Sierra 10.13.6 on a 2010 IMac.

Let's take a Windows-y approach to this and uninstall the existing iteration of the app and then install a new one, from scratch.

No guarantees that that's a fix, but being a Windows user means never having to not be ready to say "hey fuck it, let's just start the whole damn thing over".And for some perverse reason, I feel comfortable with that reality.

And you doctor only uses Facetime, no other video conferencing application(s), like Skype, or Duo?

No, but I sure do miss Ira. What a great guy to spend time with, wonderful sense of humor. Hey, he named his son Fitz.

Gave my book a delightfully sincere blurb: "Larry Kart writes about jazz with a focus and clarity that makes me want to read on even when I disagree with him."