First(?), the Metropolitan Opera puts up free nightly streaming. Today, I get an email from TACA (a regional arts group), promoting streaming platforms for the following local :

The Dallas Opera
Livestream Recital
American Art Songs & Excepts from Don Carlo

Lucas Meachem, Baritone
Irina Meachem, Piano

Avant Chamber Ballet
360° World Premiere video of 19th Amendment from February 15, 2020
at City Performance Hall

Katie Puder, Choreographer
Quinn Mason, Composer

American Baroque Opera Company
La Serva Padrona by Giovanni Battista Pergolesi

Watch ABOC's full-length production free on YouTube!

Dallas Museum of Art
The Collection

More than 25,000 works of art from all culture and time periods available online for free, anytime.

Dallas Symphony Orchestra
#keepthemusicgoing on Facebook

Listen to DSO musicians as they play along with each other from the comfort of their own homes.

Lumedia Musicworks
Short Films/Music Videos

In tandem with their live programming, Lumedia also produces music videos that are presented both online and at select shows.

How many of these platforms/events are a specific repsonse/reaction to the ongoing outbreak, I can't tell you. Some, maybe? Definitely not all.

But we were talking about what Big Ears (and probably by extension, all creative improvisational-centric music, jazz and otherwise) does to cope with this most immediately impactful situation. Here's one way to respond.

How are things in your town?

I originally posted notice of the Metropolitan Opera free stream that I obtained from other sources.

FYI, I heard that there were glitches with the opening night (3/16) of the stream. Might not be smooth for a while.

Edited by T.D.

For a while...

Whatever ever else "comes next", I am waiting to see what, if any, audience outreach/growing/etc/whatever results from this. Like the rest of all things digital, perhaps now is the time to get going or else be left behind. and like the rest of all things digital, enjoy it in its "pure" form while it lasts. I mean, I remember when Bravo did not interrupt any of their shows with commercials!

Part of me ants to hope that if enough people realize that so much of their "musical entertainment" these days is less rooted in actual music than it is cultural pathofleastresistance-ism, they might start getting a craving for something a little more, uh...pointed in intent (and result).

Then again, probably not, not in the post Tik-Tok era.

Oh well, let's see!

On 3/17/2020 at 6:24 PM, JSngry said:

For a while...

Whatever ever else "comes next", I am waiting to see what, if any, audience outreach/growing/etc/whatever results from this. Like the rest of all things digital, perhaps now is the time to get going or else be left behind. and like the rest of all things digital, enjoy it in its "pure" form while it lasts. I mean, I remember when Bravo did not interrupt any of their shows with commercials!

Part of me ants to hope that if enough people realize that so much of their "musical entertainment" these days is less rooted in actual music than it is cultural pathofleastresistance-ism, they might start getting a craving for something a little more, uh...pointed in intent (and result).

Then again, probably not, not in the post Tik-Tok era.

Oh well, let's see!

Next week's Metropolitan Opera nightly streaming is all-Wagner, incl. a Ring cycle Tues-Fri (!). Others will be Tristan, Meistersinger and Tannhäuser.