Roosevelt Wardell

Hardbopjazz

With many musicians having downtime because of venues closed do to Covid 19, some are interacting with fans on Facebook. Eric Reed started a listening discussion. I've never heard of Roosevelt Wardell. Looking through my collection, I do have him on the Curtis Amy Mosaic Select.  I can't even find much information about him. Anyone else know more about this pianist? 

No photo description available.

I've got that Riverside program and like it a good lot. it was part of the Cannonball Adderley Presentation series, all of which were very enlightening records. He has kind of an Elmo Hope-ish "focus" thing going on, and the non-Standards have titles that suggest that he was hearing the call of Elijah Muhammed, as were so many other jazz musicians of the time.

On this record, anyway, it sounds like he had a lot of creative energy bundled up inside. Definitely worth checking out.

R-4696227-1453854587-7720.jpeg.jpg

Not sure that you have him on the Amy Select, though?

R-4049206-1560456558-9288.jpeg.jpg

20 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I've got that Riverside program and like it a good lot. it was part of the Cannonball Adderley Presentation series, all of which were very enlightening records. He has kind of an Elmo Hope-ish "focus" thing going on, and the non-Standards have titles that suggest that he was hearing the call of Elijah Muhammed, as were so many other jazz musicians of the time.

On this record, anyway, it sounds like he had a lot of creative energy bundled up inside. Definitely worth checking out.

R-4696227-1453854587-7720.jpeg.jpg

Not sure that you have him on the Amy Select, though?

R-4049206-1560456558-9288.jpeg.jpg

My bad, he is on the Onzy Matthews select. 

Fresh Sounds did a 2 CD issue of Wardell's sole LP coupled with the two Evans Bradshaw Riverside LPs. I find Wardell's material more, for lack of a better term, "compelling" than Bradshaw's two, so me, I found all of it on the blogosphere, captured it all and then kept what I wanted. Since it's Fresh Sounds, hey, I did what they did without inconveniencing them. Still waiting for the Thank You Note, but I know they got their hands full, so I'm not upset about not getting it yet, at least not right now.