Live Streaming Concerts

kh1958

9 hours ago, BFrank said:

Is it $7/show, or is that a subscription?

I believe that is $7 for three hours of access on a given night, so presumably there are two sets.

For Smalls, a $10 donation to the foundation includes the livestream for the rest of 2020.

Edited by kh1958

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/10/2020 at 8:01 AM, kh1958 said:

I believe that is $7 for three hours of access on a given night, so presumably there are two sets.

For Smalls, a $10 donation to the foundation includes the livestream for the rest of 2020.

Thanks! Very reasonable in both cases.

Actually, too cheap in the case of Smalls. ;)

The SmallsLIVE Foundation Newsletter
6/16/20

Dear Friends:

Yesterday was 90 days since our clubs have been closed.  We had to lay off all of our employees and have now cancelled 450 bands - we had programmed  5 bands a day between both clubs.  Yes, we have gotten some funding (the PPP loan) but it's been 8 weeks already and have used it up on the payroll and other expenses.  New York is a strange place these days.  Some are still quarantined and others are partying in the streets as bars are allowed to sell in paper cups.  There is no clear information on the reopening and things feel chaotic.  There doesn't seem to be any communication between landlords and businesses and everyone is at odds.

For us at Smalls, we are biding our time.  Thanks to the strength of our grassroots support (which is you guys), our international jazz fans and the brave musicians who have agreed to stream from the clubs, we are surviving.  Our campaign to "get the cats working again" has been successful enough to fund through July and well into August.  This means we can pay one band per day to perform and to pay the rent.  For the musicians, I can say that the chance to walk into Smalls, rehearse and do a concert is cathartic.  Even though the club is closed to the public, the spirits and ghosts still dwell there.  The vibe is still strong and the energy is there, waiting to be tapped.  The response to our live shows has been amazing.  We average about 20K views per show and the comments and emails have been gracious, grateful and ecstatic.  People need music and need jazz - this is clear.

I see that many clubs are now streaming live.  Even the venerable Village Vanguard has started a live stream.  I find it amusing that 12 years ago when we first started our live stream, musicians were ready to .  Even up to the covid disaster I still had musicians who refused to play at Smalls because of the live stream.  Now it is our lifeline and the one thing that's keep us in the game.  Also, our extensive audio/video archive is a piece of history.  More than 18,000 recordings representing more than 4000 musicians.  Nothing like it exists in jazz history.  Supporting members ($10 year minimum donation) can access this archive and we pay royalties to the artists.  If you would like to fund an evening of music at the club, email us at foundation@smallslive.com.

I thank everyone for their concern and support.  We will prevail here, it's just a matter of time.  Our music is too strong to die and the people that love it are dedicated and passionate.  I look forward to the day when I can (safely) shake your hand, welcome you to the club and offer you a drink at our bar.

My Sincerest Regards,
Spike

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmcusercontent.com
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgallery.mailchimp
Tuesday 6/16
4:45 pm to 6:30 pm
SPIKE WILNER QUINTET

Birthday Concert 
Spike Wilner / Piano
Joe Magnarelli / Trumpet
Joel Frahm / Tenor Sax
Tyler Mitchell / Bass
Anthony Pinciotti / Drums

Sponsored by David Oei
Wednesday 6/17
DEZRON DOUGLAS TRIO

Dezron Douglas / Bass
Keith Brown / Piano
Jason Brown / Drums

Sponsored by The Joel Foundation
Thursday 6/18
RACHEL Z QUARTET

Rachel Z / Piano
Jeremy Pelt / Trumpet
Matt Penman / Bass
Jason Brown / Drums

Friday 6/19
BILLY DRUMMOND 'FREEDOM OF IDEAS'

Billy Drummond / Drums
Tim Ries / Tenor Sax
Lawrence Fields / Piano
Dezron Douglas / Bass

Saturday 6/20
JASON BROWN

Jason Brown / Drums
Nicole Glover / Tenor Sax
Chelsea Baratz / Tenor Sax
Bruce Harris / Trumpet
Frank Lacy / Trombone
Orrin Evans / Piano
Alexander Claffy / Bass

Sunday 6/21
RALPH LALAMA & "BOP-JUICE"

Ralph Lalama / Tenor Sax
Akiko Tsuruga / Organ
Clifford Barbaro / Drums
Edited by kh1958

5 hours ago, sthomas said:

Did anyone see the Village Vanguard live stream? How does the quality of the sound/visuals compare to Smalls? 

I haven't seen the Smalls streams yet, but the VV show was very good. Much better than I expected for their first show. Will definitely do it again.

15 hours ago, sthomas said:

Did anyone see the Village Vanguard live stream? How does the quality of the sound/visuals compare to Smalls? 

It was very good. I suspect they prerecorded the two sets and streamed the recordings. I watched both Saturday and Sunday. 

On 6/16/2020 at 11:04 AM, kh1958 said:
The SmallsLIVE Foundation Newsletter
6/16/20

Dear Friends:

Yesterday was 90 days since our clubs have been closed.  We had to lay off all of our employees and have now cancelled 450 bands - we had programmed  5 bands a day between both clubs.  Yes, we have gotten some funding (the PPP loan) but it's been 8 weeks already and have used it up on the payroll and other expenses.  New York is a strange place these days.  Some are still quarantined and others are partying in the streets as bars are allowed to sell in paper cups.  There is no clear information on the reopening and things feel chaotic.  There doesn't seem to be any communication between landlords and businesses and everyone is at odds.

For us at Smalls, we are biding our time.  Thanks to the strength of our grassroots support (which is you guys), our international jazz fans and the brave musicians who have agreed to stream from the clubs, we are surviving.  Our campaign to "get the cats working again" has been successful enough to fund through July and well into August.  This means we can pay one band per day to perform and to pay the rent.  For the musicians, I can say that the chance to walk into Smalls, rehearse and do a concert is cathartic.  Even though the club is closed to the public, the spirits and ghosts still dwell there.  The vibe is still strong and the energy is there, waiting to be tapped.  The response to our live shows has been amazing.  We average about 20K views per show and the comments and emails have been gracious, grateful and ecstatic.  People need music and need jazz - this is clear.

I see that many clubs are now streaming live.  Even the venerable Village Vanguard has started a live stream.  I find it amusing that 12 years ago when we first started our live stream, musicians were ready to .  Even up to the covid disaster I still had musicians who refused to play at Smalls because of the live stream.  Now it is our lifeline and the one thing that's keep us in the game.  Also, our extensive audio/video archive is a piece of history.  More than 18,000 recordings representing more than 4000 musicians.  Nothing like it exists in jazz history.  Supporting members ($10 year minimum donation) can access this archive and we pay royalties to the artists.  If you would like to fund an evening of music at the club, email us at foundation@smallslive.com.

I thank everyone for their concern and support.  We will prevail here, it's just a matter of time.  Our music is too strong to die and the people that love it are dedicated and passionate.  I look forward to the day when I can (safely) shake your hand, welcome you to the club and offer you a drink at our bar.

My Sincerest Regards,
Spike

Tuesday 6/16
SPIKE WILNER QUINTET

Birthday Concert 
Spike Wilner / Piano
Joe Magnarelli / Trumpet
Joel Frahm / Tenor Sax
Tyler Mitchell / Bass
Anthony Pinciotti / Drums

Sponsored by David Oei
Wednesday 6/17
DEZRON DOUGLAS TRIO

Dezron Douglas / Bass
Keith Brown / Piano
Jason Brown / Drums

Thursday 6/18
RACHEL Z QUARTET

Rachel Z / Piano
Jeremy Pelt / Trumpet
Matt Penman / Bass
Jason Brown / Drums

Friday 6/19
BILLY DRUMMOND 'FREEDOM OF IDEAS'

Billy Drummond / Drums
Tim Ries / Tenor Sax
Lawrence Fields / Piano
Dezron Douglas / Bass

Saturday 6/20
JASON BROWN

Jason Brown / Drums
Nicole Glover / Tenor Sax
Chelsea Baratz / Tenor Sax
Bruce Harris / Trumpet
Frank Lacy / Trombone
Orrin Evans / Piano
Alexander Claffy / Bass

Sunday 6/21
RALPH LALAMA & "BOP-JUICE"

Ralph Lalama / Tenor Sax
Akiko Tsuruga / Organ
Clifford Barbaro / Drums

When we first started our livestream, musicians were ready to what?

14 minutes ago, bertrand said:

When we first started our livestream, musicians were ready to what?

He used a rather racially insensitive reference to killing him which he shortly later apologized for in a follow up email, so I deleted it from my paste.

Edited by kh1958

6 hours ago, bertrand said:

I know, I was being facetious. I was not sure if he deleted it or you did.

His originally words were cretinous and many of us reamed him on Facebook. I have had my problems with this guy in the past.

Somebody please pm me to tell me what the omitted words are.  I can’t work it out and it’s like the last answer in the crossword. 

7 hours ago, David Ayers said:

Somebody please pm me to tell me what the omitted words are.  I can’t work it out and it’s like the last answer in the crossword. 

I should have just left the email alone. Lynch, which technically refers to a mob killing and which in the rest of the world may not be race specific but in the United State has taken on a racial meaning. See the linked story of the last lynching in Dallas, occurring in 1910. There was even a postcard of the event.

https://timeline.com/allen-brooks-dallas-lynching-4fc9132ee422

Edited by kh1958

3 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

I should have just left the email alone. Lynch, which technically refers to a mob killing and which in the rest of the world may not be race specific but in the United State has taken on a racial meaning. See the linked story of the last lynching in Dallas, occurring in 1910. There was even a postcard of the event.

https://timeline.com/allen-brooks-dallas-lynching-4fc9132ee422

Oh I certainly know what lynching is! I can’t believe that he wrote that. 

On 2020-06-18 at 9:40 AM, ejp626 said:

Looks like the VV is live-streaming Vijay Iyer Trio Sat. evening and a Sunday matinee.  I'll try to remind myself to check out at least one of the shows.

Didn't get home in time and set is basically over.  Shoot.  Will try to get my act together for the Sunday matinee (2 pm).

On 2020-06-18 at 10:37 AM, bertrand said:

Warren Wolf and Sean Jones are playing the music of Hutcherson and Shaw from Keystone Korner tomorrow. 6PM, kink good for 48 hours.

I think I must be a bit slow.  When I go to Keystone Korner site it looks like they are actually selling in-person tickets, which is both unexpected and definitely unwanted (by me at any rate).  Is there a direct link to the Wolf-Jones performance or a way to buy access to the stream.  Thanks.

I  can't speak for others, but the VV stream started off very choppy.  It does seem to have settled down, so we'll see.

Dropped twice and had to restart browser once, but actually ended up being stabler stream than I expected, so I will consider tuning in in the future.

Edited by ejp626

• 3 weeks later...

TODAY AT 6 PM – 8 PM

Tom McDermott & Aurora Nealand - Thursday Livestream
Facebook Live

About

More
1Gr9XTXWjmy.png

rgP0efx-prb.png
Interested
_iGs50jDGbv.png

LpGR6RodbY-.png
Invite

G9ijmko2YGX.png

pYa91jLXA4e.png

Details

CZzXbYX7tI2.png
Today at 6 PM – 8 PM
IDAR_LcON7I.png
Public  · Hosted by 
BWDQrqQ1aiD.png
Facebook Live

Tom & Aurora reunite for their Thursday duo, and project into Buffas backroom via the wonderment of technology. Join us here on FB or check it out on buffasbar.com/webcams/live.

Host

• 3 weeks later...

From the Village Vanguard: 

FRED HERSCH TRIO

FRIDAY LIVE STREAM AT 9PM EDT

JULY 31 

Fred Hersch – Piano

Drew Gress – Bass

Joechen Ruckert – Drums

$10

TICKETS
— 

Fred Hersch

FRED HERSCH TRIO

SATURDAY LIVE STREAM AT 9PM EDT

AUGUST 1 - 

Fred Hersch - Piano

Drew Gress - Bass

Joechen Ruckert - Drums

$10

TICKETS

At Smalls:

TUE AUG 04

SMALLS 

4:45 PM - 6:30 PM

MELISSA ALDANA QUARTET

FRI AUG 14

SMALLS 

ERIC WYATT QUARTET

WED AUG 19

SMALLS 

BROOKLYN CIRCLE

SAT AUG 22

SMALLS 

PHILIP HARPER QUINTET

At Smoke:

LIVE STREAMING EVENT: The Vincent Herring Quartet featuring Cyrus Chestnut- Friday & Saturday, July 31st & August 1st at 8pm

Cyrus Chestnut (piano) Vincent Herring (saxophone) Yasushi Nakamura (bass)

Johnathan Blake (drums)

At Jazz Gallery:

JUL

Livestream Concert with Johnathan Blake

8pm EDT
$10/$5 members

LEARN MORE & TICKETS

AUG

TJG Online Lockdown Sessions, Vol. 16: Vijay Iyer, Eric Revis, Kokayi, Vanisha Gould

7pm EDT via ZOOM 
$20/$10 members

LEARN MORE & TICKETS

AUG

Words & Music with Melissa Aldana

6pm EDT via ZOOM
$15/$5 members
limited to 15 people

LEARN MORE & TICKETS

AUG

Livestream Concert with Ben Williams

8pm EDT
$10/$5 members

LEARN MORE & TICKETS

AUG

Words & Music with Miles Okazaki

6pm EDT via ZOOM
$15/$5 members
limited to 15 people

LEARN MORE & TICKETS

AUG

Livestream Concert with The Curtis Brothers

8pm EDT
$10/$5 members

LEARN MORE & TICKETS

AUG

Livestream Concert with Miguel Zenón, Matt Penman & Obed Calvaire 

8pm EDT
$10/$5 members

LEARN MORE & TICKETS

July 30, 5pm PDT
Jazz Gallery (Live)
Johnathan Blake-drums
Mark Turner-saxophone
Kris Davis-piano
Ben Street -bass
 **Web Address: https://www.jazzgallery.org/calendar/livestream-johnathan-blake **

July 31, 5pm PDT
SFJAZZ (Taped 2019)
Wayne Shorter Celebration, Part 3
Herbie Hancock, Terence Blanchard, Terrace Martin, Danilo Pérez, John Patitucci, & Brian Blade
SFJAZZ.org

20 hours ago, kh1958 said:

From the Village Vanguard: 

FRED HERSCH TRIO

FRIDAY LIVE STREAM AT 9PM EDT

JULY 31 

Fred Hersch – Piano

Drew Gress – Bass

Joechen Ruckert – Drums

$10

TICKETS
— 

Fred Hersch

FRED HERSCH TRIO

SATURDAY LIVE STREAM AT 9PM EDT

AUGUST 1 - 

Fred Hersch - Piano

Drew Gress - Bass

Joechen Ruckert - Drums

$10

TICKETS

At Smalls:

TUE AUG 04

SMALLS 

MELISSA ALDANA QUARTET

FRI AUG 14

SMALLS 

ERIC WYATT QUARTET

WED AUG 19

SMALLS 

BROOKLYN CIRCLE

SAT AUG 22

SMALLS 

PHILIP HARPER QUINTET

At Smoke:

LIVE STREAMING EVENT: The Vincent Herring Quartet featuring Cyrus Chestnut- Friday & Saturday, July 31st & August 1st at 8pm

Cyrus Chestnut (piano) Vincent Herring (saxophone) Yasushi Nakamura (bass)

Johnathan Blake (drums)

At Jazz Gallery:

JUL

Livestream Concert with Johnathan Blake

8pm EDT
$10/$5 members

LEARN MORE & TICKETS

AUG

TJG Online Lockdown Sessions, Vol. 16: Vijay Iyer, Eric Revis, Kokayi, Vanisha Gould

7pm EDT via ZOOM 
$20/$10 members

LEARN MORE & TICKETS

AUG

Words & Music with Melissa Aldana

6pm EDT via ZOOM
$15/$5 members
limited to 15 people

LEARN MORE & TICKETS

AUG

Livestream Concert with Ben Williams

8pm EDT
$10/$5 members

LEARN MORE & TICKETS

AUG

Words & Music with Miles Okazaki

6pm EDT via ZOOM
$15/$5 members
limited to 15 people

LEARN MORE & TICKETS

AUG

Livestream Concert with The Curtis Brothers

8pm EDT
$10/$5 members

LEARN MORE & TICKETS

AUG

Livestream Concert with Miguel Zenón, Matt Penman & Obed Calvaire 

8pm EDT
$10/$5 members

LEARN MORE & TICKETS

Johnathan Blake was great! Kris Davis is really amazing.

TUNE IN:
Thursday, August 6th @ 7:30 - 8:30 p.m. ET
Facebook Live

In celebration of the 60th anniversary of the extraordinary Miles Davis/Gil Evans collaboration, “Sketches of Spain,” Jazz Standard and NJPAC present the premiere of the GRAMMY-nominated Gil Evans Project’s video recording of the album’s most revered and beautiful work: Gil Evans’ arrangement of Joaquin Rodrigo’s the Adagio from “Concierto de Aranjuez.”

This recording project also serves as a direct fundraiser (through GoFundMe) for the musicians of the Gil Evans Project, to mitigate the financial impact of the pandemic on these extraordinary artists. All funds raised by this performance will be shared evenly between the featured musicians.

“I wanted to create something that showcased the incredible talent and artistry of these world-class musicians, give us a chance to celebrate Gil’s incredible music from ‘Sketches of Spain,’ and provide a way to subsidize the musicians’ lost income and help ease the financial burden they face from the fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic,” said director and Gil Evans Project founder, Ryan Truesdell.

This premiere performance will include a live, interactive discussion with Truesdell and featured trumpet soloist, Riley Mulherkar, as well as long-time Gil Evans Project musicians Lewis Nash (drums) and Jay Anderson (bass).

This program is curated by Seth Abramson — Artistic Director, Jazz Standard.

PERSONNEL:
Solo Trumpet: Riley Mulherkar
Conductor: Ryan Truesdell
Woodwinds: Jesse Han (flute/piccolo), Dave Pietro (alto flute/flute), Hassan Anderson (oboe), Tom Christensen (bass clarinet/alto flute), Alden Banta (bassoon/contrabass clarinet)
French Horns: Adam Unsworth, David Peel, Shelagh Abate
Trumpets: Augie Haas, Nadje Noordhuis, Scott Wendholt, Tony Kadleck
Trombone: Ryan Keberle
Bass Trombone: George Flynn
Tuba: Ibanda Ruhumbika
Harp: Emily Levin
Bass: Jay Anderson
Drums: Lewis Nash
Percussion: Mike Truesdell
Timpani: Conrad Alexander

Jackie Venson

Image may contain: 1 person, guitarYesterday at 11:34 AM · 

I scream you scream we all scream for...... the never ending nightmare of 2020 to finally end Stay strong out there y’all, if you need just go outside and yell at the sky for a second, do itttt. As you can see here it worked for me! I’ll be back on Wednesdays and Saturdays in August on FB Live, Insta, YouTube, and Twitch. See you all soon