Live Streaming Concerts

kh1958

At the Village Vanguard: FRIDAY + SATURDAY NIGHT: 
THE GEORGE CABLES TRIO
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmcusercontent.com

This Friday and Saturday, pianist George Cables will play the Vanguard stage; accompanying him will be Essiet Okon Essiet on bass and Billy Hart on drums.

The New Yorker says it best; "Dubbed 'Mr. Beautiful' by the late, great, Art Pepper... George Cables has established himself as an individualist whose comfort with bebop-based modern jazz has an unimpeachable stamp of authenticity." 

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Healdsburg Jazz

is feeling excited in 

Healdsburg, California

August 20 at 12:26 PM  · 

Join us Saturday, September 26, 7 PM (PT) for a live concert with the world premiere of

Charles Lloyd

Zakir Hussain

, &

Julian Lage

playing together as a trio for the first time, to be streamed live around the globe. Tickets available online through donation. https://healdsburgjazz.org/lloyd-hussain-lage-trio-live-from-healdsburg/

On 9/1/2020 at 10:46 PM, kh1958 said:
At the Village Vanguard: FRIDAY + SATURDAY NIGHT: 
THE GEORGE CABLES TRIO
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmcusercontent.com

This Friday and Saturday, pianist George Cables will play the Vanguard stage; accompanying him will be Essiet Okon Essiet on bass and Billy Hart on drums.

The New Yorker says it best; "Dubbed 'Mr. Beautiful' by the late, great, Art Pepper... George Cables has established himself as an individualist whose comfort with bebop-based modern jazz has an unimpeachable stamp of authenticity." 

I just watched tonight's live stream and I am a little choked up.  With all of the ugliness in the world and normal life on hold, to see George Cables, who has faced major health challenges, play so beautifully is a bit overwhelming.  

So Facebook seems to be trying to put an end to livestreams. I am sure BMI and ASCAP complained.

So let's say I pay a pianist to play 8 Herbie Nichols songs live for about an hour. Why can't I just pay a licensing fee for each song since I am not a venue presenting live music on a regular basis, nor charging a cover and/or selling good and drink? Why is it so hard to present am artistic event in this country?

Edited by bertrand

The lineup has been announced for this year’s “virtual” Monterey Jazz Festival.

The three-day music event runs 5-7 p.m. Sept. 25-27 on the festival’s YouTube site,, and features a mix of archival footage and new performances.

Friday, September 25, 2020

Herbie Hancock

Dianne Reeves

Roy Hargrove & RH Factor

Terri Lyne Carrington – Mosaic Project

Christian McBride & Inside Straight

Jamie Cullum

2020 Monterey Jazz Festival Artist-in-Residence, Christian Sands

2020 Next Generation Jazz Orchestra Directed by Gerald Clayton

Saturday, September 26, 2020

Diana Krall

Tribute to Dave Brubeck – Cannery Row Suite featuring Kurt Elling & Roberta Gambarini

Kenny Barron Trio

Regina Carter

Our Native Daughters-Rhiannon Giddens, Amythyst Kiah, Leyla McCalla, Allison Russell

Clint Eastwood in Conversation, hosted by Tim Jackson

Berklee Institute of Jazz & Gender Justice Quintet -Founder & Director-Terri Lyne Carrington

2020 Next Generation Women in Jazz Combo Directed by Katie Thiroux

Sunday, September 27, 2020

Tribute to Quincy Jones, “The A&M Years”, featuring Hubert Laws and Valerie Simpson

Sonny Rollins Tribute featuring Jimmy Heath, Joe Lovano, Branford Marsalis and Joshua Redman

Anat Cohen Tentet

2012 MJF on Tour with Musical Director Christian McBride and Dee Dee Bridgewater on vocals

2018 MJF On Tour with Musical Director Christian Sands and Cécile McLorin Salvant on vocals

Gerald Clayton Quartet

Angela Davis in conversation with Terri Lyne Carrington

More information here.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ejp626 said:

Anyone tuning in tonight or tomorrow to Kenny Barron streaming at the Vanguard?

https://villagevanguard.com/event/barron-trio

They say they've overhauled their system (I guess in response to a lot of complaints).

I haven't entirely decided, but at $10, I'll probably give it a whirl...

I believe the overhaul was to put it back to the system they used before they attempted an overhaul last week. In any event I think the overhaul is primarily related to the ticketing function. The actual stream has been high quality each time I tried it.

I caught most of both nights of the Kenny Barron. There were again some techical problems, but when it was working the video and audio quality were very good as usual. I think they just have alot of problems with buffering and other technical problems. They should switch to a YouTube format like Smoke and Jazz Gallery and other venues. There rarely seem to be any of those technical problems on that platform.

15 hours ago, relyles said:

I caught most of both nights of the Kenny Barron. There were again some techical problems, but when it was working the video and audio quality were very good as usual. I think they just have alot of problems with buffering and other technical problems. They should switch to a YouTube format like Smoke and Jazz Gallery and other venues. There rarely seem to be any of those technical problems on that platform.

YouTube is the best - I put it on the big screen TV and it stays there forever. Building quite a Library...

56 minutes ago, relyles said:

Starting tomorrow through Monday, the entire 2020 Vision Festival will be live streamed.

Thanks for the notice.  I've always wanted to attend Vision, now I get a virtual opportunity.  Thankfully streams are available for 24 hours so i won't need to stay up all night.

Purchased a Saturday ticket. Keen to see Amina Claudine Myers who I've never seen live.

Edited by mjazzg

On 10/23 Charles Lloyd will be streaming from his "home theater" (the Lobero in Santa Barbara, CA) with Gerald Clayton and Anthony Wilson.  The Lobero is a wonderful old theater that's had a great jazz series for decades.  Hope this - and concerts like it - can help them stay in business.

https://www.lobero.org/events/charles-lloyd-ocean-trio/?utm_source=wordfly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CharlesLloyd_20-1&utm_content=version_A

12 hours ago, BFrank said:

Saw the Pharaoh Sanders/Azar Lawrence show from Zebulon in LA. It was very well done. The 2 saxes sounded great together, too.

Although it was shown yesterday, it was actually recorded last month.

I saw that as well. Agree that it was well done.

Also caught the Rudresh Mahanthappa Hero Trio Release Concert the same day.

Wednesday Night series by Bar Bayeux started last night with Chris Potter Trio.

10 hours ago, relyles said:

I saw that as well. Agree that it was well done.

Also caught the Rudresh Mahanthappa Hero Trio Release Concert the same day.

Wednesday Night series by Bar Bayeux started last night with Chris Potter Trio.

I like Potter. Recently saw a Zoom discussion between him and Miguel Zenon, which was pretty interesting.

It appears that Vancouver is still allowing some live performances, whereas these have been completely shut down in Toronto (not that there was ever that much live jazz beyond some local acts playing at The Rex, at least in the last 10 years).  However, Cory Weeds is offering a livestream (generally for $10) of the various upcoming shows he is presenting.  It appears that they are being presented at the Shadbolt Centre in Burnaby rather than in his club, The Cellar.  Details here - https://coryweeds.com/shows/

I'll try to catch the show on Nov. 15 which is actually a big band project led by Cory.

2 hours ago, ejp626 said:

It appears that Vancouver is still allowing some live performances, whereas these have been completely shut down in Toronto (not that there was ever that much live jazz beyond some local acts playing at The Rex, at least in the last 10 years).  However, Cory Weeds is offering a livestream (generally for $10) of the various upcoming shows he is presenting.  It appears that they are being presented at the Shadbolt Centre in Burnaby rather than in his club, The Cellar.  Details here - https://coryweeds.com/shows/

I'll try to catch the show on Nov. 15 which is actually a big band project led by Cory.

The Cellar closed a while ago... maybe 2015?

Birdland  Livestream:

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimg.evbuc.com%2Fh

This Friday at 7pm, don't miss Ben Allison (bass), Ted Nash (Tenor Sax/Clarinet) & Steve Cardenas (guitar). This cooperative trio is modeled after Jimmy Giuffre’s drummer-less units of the 1950s and 60s.Focusing on compositions by Giuffre and Jim Hall, as well as new spins on classics by Leonard Bernstein, this trio manages a high level performance while maintaining the easy intimacy that has become a hallmark of their sound.

A perfect jazz trio for a Friday night.

Buy Your Tickets Here!

Can't make it this Friday? No worries, this performance will be available on demand for 30 days. Catch this trio and many other wonderful performances ON DEMAND HERE!