THUMBSCREW

LIVESTREAM

JANUARY 15 ‑ JANUARY 17

FRIDAY & SATURDAY

Mary Halvorson – GUITAR

Michael Formanek – BASS

Tomas Fujiwara – DRUMS

$10

Each show is available until 8pm ET the following day. 

Another good one!

https://tinydeskglobalfest.nprpresents.org

Globalfest tonight, January 14 at 8 EST: Program closes with the great vocalist from Mali, Rokia Traore.

EDWIN PEREZ
ELISAPIE
NORA BROWN
ROKIA TRAORÉ

Kenny Garrett
will be streaming a show

Kenny Garrett
Friday, January 15, 2021
Live streaming from www.sfjazz.org
7:00 PM CST 
See Tickets

SMOKE SCREENS PRESENTS: THE RUSSELL MALONE QUARTET

russell_malone

JANUARY 15 - JANUARY 16 / LIVE STREAMED / 8PM EST

“Russell Malone has the storytelling skills of a great, perhaps a legacy of his many years with Harry Connick, Jr. and Diana Krall.” – The Times (UK)

Guitar master Russell Malone leads his highly regarded quartet with pianist Rick Germanson, bassist Vincent DuPont and drummer Neal Smith in two livestream concerts. Malone is a musician deeply rooted in the blues and bebop and his soulfully swinging approach is just one of many reasons why he is so popular. The Chicago Tribune states, “Though he spikes his solos with occasional running lines, it’s gently rolled chords and lush sequences of harmonies that ultimately define his work,” and JazzTimesdescribes him as “an uncommonly sensitive interpreter of ballads.”

Last weekend, I tried the Smoke livestream for the first time. It had the best video and sound quality of any livestream I've seen.

On 1/13/2021 at 7:46 PM, kh1958 said:

Upcoming at the Village Vanguard:

THUMBSCREW

LIVESTREAM

JANUARY 15 ‑ JANUARY 17

FRIDAY & SATURDAY

Mary Halvorson – GUITAR

Michael Formanek – BASS

Tomas Fujiwara – DRUMS

$10

Enjoyed this Friday night and probably watching again tonight.

On 1/15/2021 at 1:21 PM, kh1958 said:

SMOKE SCREENS PRESENTS: THE RUSSELL MALONE QUARTET

russell_malone

JANUARY 15 - JANUARY 16 / LIVE STREAMED / 8PM EST

“Russell Malone has the storytelling skills of a great, perhaps a legacy of his many years with Harry Connick, Jr. and Diana Krall.” – The Times (UK)

Guitar master Russell Malone leads his highly regarded quartet with pianist Rick Germanson, bassist Vincent DuPont and drummer Neal Smith in two livestream concerts. Malone is a musician deeply rooted in the blues and bebop and his soulfully swinging approach is just one of many reasons why he is so popular. The Chicago Tribune states, “Though he spikes his solos with occasional running lines, it’s gently rolled chords and lush sequences of harmonies that ultimately define his work,” and JazzTimesdescribes him as “an uncommonly sensitive interpreter of ballads.”

Last weekend, I tried the Smoke livestream for the first time. It had the best video and sound quality of any livestream I've seen.

I'm listening to the Saturday set again.  If we consider Kenny Burrell to be retired from performing (although I hope that he returns!), I'd consider Malone to be the greatest active straight-ahead guitarist. :wub:

Next weekend at the VV:

ERIC HARLAND

LIVESTREAM

JANUARY 22 ‑ JANUARY 24

Eric Harland – Drums

Chris Potter – Saxophones

Joel Ross – Vibraphone

Austin White – Bass & Electronics

$10

TICKETS

Next weekend at Smoke (Chris Potter in two places at once):

SMOKE SCREENS PRESENTS: THE JOHNATHAN BLAKE QUARTET FEATURING CHRIS POTTER, DAVID VIRELLES, & BEN STREET

JohnathanBlake_JimmyKatz

JANUARY 22 - JANUARY 23 / LIVE STREAMED / 8PM EST

On 1/14/2021 at 2:57 PM, kh1958 said:

https://tinydeskglobalfest.nprpresents.org

Globalfest tonight, January 14 at 8 EST: Program closes with the great vocalist from Mali, Rokia Traore.

EDWIN PEREZ
ELISAPIE
NORA BROWN
ROKIA TRAORÉ

Missed this last week, but I believe most of the concerts are archived on Youtube so will check some of them out.

It looks like  Angélique Kidjo only hosts and doesn't perform, which is too bad.  I saw her in Toronto at an outdoor festival just a few years back. Lot of fun!

4 minutes ago, ejp626 said:

Missed this last week, but I believe most of the concerts are archived on Youtube so will check some of them out.

It looks like  Angélique Kidjo only hosts and doesn't perform, which is too bad.  I saw her in Toronto at an outdoor festival just a few years back. Lot of fun!

That is true, at least on the final broadcast (the one I saw). The Rokia Traore set is quite good, especially the last song. The sets are short though, three numbers each.

1 hour ago, kh1958 said:

That is true, at least on the final broadcast (the one I saw). The Rokia Traore set is quite good, especially the last song. The sets are short though, three numbers each.

That is the hallmark of NPR's Tiny Desk concerts,usually just a teaser of 3 songs.

On 1/19/2021 at 5:57 AM, kh1958 said:

Next weekend at the VV:

ERIC HARLAND

LIVESTREAM

JANUARY 22 ‑ JANUARY 24

Eric Harland – Drums

Chris Potter – Saxophones

Joel Ross – Vibraphone

Austin White – Bass & Electronics

$10

TICKETS

Next weekend at Smoke (Chris Potter in two places at once):

SMOKE SCREENS PRESENTS: THE JOHNATHAN BLAKE QUARTET FEATURING CHRIS POTTER, DAVID VIRELLES, & BEN STREET

JohnathanBlake_JimmyKatz

JANUARY 22 - JANUARY 23 / LIVE STREAMED / 8PM EST

I noticed that about Chris Potter! One of these venues is NOT "Live". :o

Jackie Venson Band Live at Purple Bee Studio

from Jackie Venson

Live Stream Ticket + Digital Album
Jackie Venson Band Live at Purple Bee Studio main photo
Date
February 5, 2021
Start time
9:00 PM CST

Happy birthday to Jackie! Jackie Venson and her full band will be going live for a special JV birthday edition online concert. Unlike the usual streams, which are done solo in her studio, this stream will feature the full band and will be broadcasted live from a professional studio with a multi-cam setup. Featuring Rodney Hyder on drums and Marcus Clark on bass, don't miss this special night. All ticket holders will have access to the re-watch for 24 hours after the show. Thank you for your continued support and let's rock! 

Includes unlimited streaming of Jackie Venson Live at Austin City Limits via the free Bandcamp app, plus high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more.

This live stream is hosted on Bandcamp, and requires a free Bandcamp fan account to view.
A replay of this stream will be available for 24 hours.
Edited by kh1958

The Panama Jazz Festival premiered the video of Wayne Shorter's final concert (as they are calling it) in Panama in January 2018. You can watch it until 11:30PM EST tomorrow 1/23 - it requires a donation of $5 or more (it is a 30-minute concert). The Carrington/Davis/Jeanty set from last Saturday 1/16 is excellent:

Horarios » Panama Jazz Festival 2021

Also, my friend Terry Koger from Baltimore celebrated Jackie McLean tonight, I think it will be available forever:

(44) Terry Koger Quintet - 90th Birthday Tribute to John "Jackie" Lenwood McLean (1931 - 2006) - YouTube

3 hours ago, ejp626 said:

I caught both nights of Eric Harland with Chris Potter, Joel Ross and Austin White.  In one case, with only about 30 minutes to spare...

I liked the vibes/sax combo.  It worked well.

Watched the Saturday show this afternoon. I enjoyed it. They worked well together.

14 hours ago, kh1958 said:

January 28-29: At Smoke, 8 EST: Emmet Cohen Trio

At Village Vanguard: 

PETER BERNSTEIN – GUITAR

SULLIVAN FORTNER – PIANO

PETER WASHINGTON – BASS

JOE FARNSWORTH – DRUMS

Johnathan Blake last weekend from Smoke had Sullivan Fortner on piano instead of David Virelles. He was very good.

8 hours ago, BFrank said:

Johnathan Blake last weekend from Smoke had Sullivan Fortner on piano instead of David Virelles. He was very good.

Yes, I recently listened to his Impulse album, and heard him on a livestream with Melissa Aldana's band at Jazz Gallery.