• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SMOKE SCREENS PRESENTS: HAYS / STREET/ HART

hays:street:hart

FRIDAY JUNE 11 - SATURDAY JUNE 12 / STREAMED LIVE / 8PM EST

Kevin Hays (piano)
Ben Street (bass)
Billy Hart (drums)

“The three musicians seem to bond at the molecular level. They engage in constant conversation throughout their solos, with the pianist [Hays] responding in particular to cues from the drummer [Hart], while Street threads the needle with aplomb.”
– Michael J. West, DownBeat

This all-star collective trio featuring pianist Kevin Hays, bassist Ben Street and drum legend Billy Hart celebrates the release of their new album All Things Are with two nights of state-of-the-art livestream concerts. These performances will be available for viewing all weekend. Hays has appeared on over 60 albums recording with Chris Potter, Joshua Redman, Nicholas Payton, and Al Foster. Other notable collaborations include a widely acclaimed duo project with Brad Mehldau, performances with James Taylor, Sonny Rollins, Joe Henderson, and Roy Haynes. Street is a highly prized bassist for his work with John Scofield, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Mark Turner, Sam Rivers and as a member of Billy Hart Quartet with whom he’s developed a strong rapport. Billy Hart was born in Washington, DC on November 29, 1940 and has had a rich and varied career including tenures with Jimmy Smith, Wes Montgomery, Herbie Hancock’s Mwandishi, McCoy Tyner, and Stan Getz. He also leads his own quartet and released a number of acclaimed albums. The Detroit Free-Press has stated, “Want to know what jazz is really about? Listen to Billy Hart.”

15 hours ago, BFrank said:

Weird. It worked for me the other day. They must have taken it down or changed it.

I just heard back from the venue. It has been postponed due to a medical issue with one of the performers. I hope it is not too serious...

Edited by bertrand

1 hour ago, bertrand said:

I just heard back from the venue. It has been postponed due to a medical issue with one of the performers. I hope it is not too serious...

Apparently Charles T. has just undergone an emergency dental procedure. Hope he gets well soon. Rescheduled for Sept I think.

The Cookers posted this on FB today. Maybe that's part of it, too.

+++

For those of you concerned about Billy Harper. Thank you for your concern and your well wishes. He's fine. This is from his wife....
Morana Mesic
Dear Friends,
For those I haven't had the pleasure of meeting I am Billy Harper's wife. I am writing at Billy's request since we unfortunately are locked out of his Facebook account at the moment.
Billy wanted me to relay his thanks for the well wishes and kind thoughts, but also to let everyone know that he is fine and nowhere near the dramatic state some have put out there. He had a moment of weakness and it passed and he is A-OK. So please don't worry, or spread worries, or non-existent diagnosis.
Billy sends his love and thanks to everyone and as soon as we get access back to his Facebook profile you'll hear from him directly.
Love & Peace,
Billy & Morana

MOKE SCREENS PRESENTS: THE STEVE TURRE "GENERATIONS" SEXTET

Steve_Turre_Quintet 3

FRIDAY JUNE 18 - SATURDAY JUNE 19 / STREAMED LIVE / 8PM EST

Steve Turre (trombone & shells)
Wallace Roney Jr. (trumpet)
Emilio Modeste (tenor & soprano saxophones)
Isaiah Thompson (piano)
Corcoran Holt (bass)
Orion Turre (drums)

“The jazz world needs more Steve Turres. A powerful technician with a soulful tone and quick wit, Turre is perhaps the leading trombonist of this generation.” – Rolling Stone
Steve Turre, one of the world’s preeminent jazz innovators on both the trombone and seashells, leads his Generations Sextet in two nights of state-of-the-art livestream concerts. These performances will be available for viewing all weekend. His impressive and youthful ensemble includes trumpeter Wallace Roney Jr., saxophonist Emilio Modeste, pianist Isaiah Thompson, bassist Corcoran Holt and drummer Orion Turre, an impressive crop of emerging jazz greats. Turre’s own storied career includes work alongside music legends such as Ray Charles, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, and Woody Shaw, and he has consistently won both the Readers’ and Critics’ polls in JazzTimes, Downbeat, and Jazziz for Best Trombone and for Best Miscellaneous Instrumentalist (shells). A versatile master and true jazz original, he’s equally at home on everything from swinging classic bop lines or conjuring Rahsaan over a deep groove. Downbeat says, “Few artists ‘own’ their instrument to the degree that trombonist Steve Turre does. Whether playing the music of Rahsaan Roland Kirk, performing as a member of the Saturday Night Live house band or with one of his own units, his voice is distinctive and memorable."

REOPENING UPDATE:

Dear Smoke Family,

Thank you all so sincerely for your enormous support and encouragement during these very challenging 14 months - what a long year it’s been for all of us!

Now that we finally know that the idea of an intimate indoor jazz club has a future again we are busy planning for reopening later this summer. We are very excited about the prospect of welcoming you again in person and can’t wait to share more details with you! Thank you so much to all of you who have been supporting us via our weekly livestreams. We want you to know that the livestreams will continue after doors reopen so that you can enjoy the music from Smoke even if you don’t live in New York City.

Thank you again for supporting Smoke throughout this difficult time and thank you especially for supporting our amazing artists, it means the world to us.

In the meantime, if you are eligible, please get vaccinated so that we can all lose the masks - see you soon!

Warm Regards,

Paul & Molly

• 2 weeks later...

SMOKE SCREENS PRESENTS: ENCORE RESTREAM - THE JOHNATHAN BLAKE TRIO / QUARTET FEATURING CHRIS POTTER, DEZRON DOUGLAS, & SULLIVAN FORTNER 

unnamed-2

FRIDAY JULY 2 - SATURDAY JULY 3 / ENCORE RESTREAMED / 8PM EST

Chris Potter (tenor saxophone)
Sullivan Fortner (piano, Saturday only)
Dezron Douglas (bass)
Johnathan Blake (drums)

“Despite his roots in Philadelphia, JohnathanBlake is the quintessential New York City jazz drummer.” – Lee Mergner, JazzTimes

Johnathan Blake, a drummer whose dynamic playing, artistic vision, and innate versatility led NPR’s John Murph to call him “the ultimate modernist,” leads a very special group featuring saxophonist Chris Potter, pianist Sullivan Fortner (Saturday only), and bassist Dezron Douglas. The New York Times says, “Blake’s drumming is as bold as thunder and as subtle as the patter of rain.” The Guardian adds, “his command of time is quite unbelievable – tricky and playful but accurate to the millisecond.”

On 6/22/2021 at 7:16 AM, kh1958 said:

REOPENING UPDATE:

Dear Smoke Family,

Thank you all so sincerely for your enormous support and encouragement during these very challenging 14 months - what a long year it’s been for all of us!

Now that we finally know that the idea of an intimate indoor jazz club has a future again we are busy planning for reopening later this summer. We are very excited about the prospect of welcoming you again in person and can’t wait to share more details with you! Thank you so much to all of you who have been supporting us via our weekly livestreams. We want you to know that the livestreams will continue after doors reopen so that you can enjoy the music from Smoke even if you don’t live in New York City.

Thank you again for supporting Smoke throughout this difficult time and thank you especially for supporting our amazing artists, it means the world to us.

In the meantime, if you are eligible, please get vaccinated so that we can all lose the masks - see you soon!

Warm Regards,

Paul & Molly

:tup:cool:

I am asking a serious question here...

Does anyone know how the publishing rights work with these live streams? I ask because I knew a guy who got into trouble because he had the audacity to play music over his bar's speaker system without making arrangements with the publishing arm of the music industry. They literally came knocking on his door with their hand out.

• 4 weeks later...

Upcoming on Smalls livestream:

BEN ALLISON QUARTET 

DOORS OPEN AT 6:30 PM 

LIVE AT SMALLS

WED AUG 11

SETS AT 7:00PM  8:30PM

07:00 PM TICKET08:30 PM TICKET

Ben Allison / Bass

Chico Pinheiro / Guitar

Steve Cardenas / Guitar

Allan Mednard / Drums

MARSHALL ALLEN OCTET

DOORS OPEN AT 6:30 PM

LIVE AT SMALLS

FRI AUG 20

SETS AT 7:00PM  8:30PM

07:00 PM TICKET08:30 PM TICKET

Marshall Allen / Alto Sax

Giveton Gelin / Trumpet

Nicoletta Manzini / Alto Sax

Chris Hemingway / Tenor Sax

Farrid Baron / Piano

Tyler Mitchell / Bass

Ron McBee / Percussion

Wayne Smith Jr / Drums

44 minutes ago, Morganized said:

Nice... Thanks bertrand. Not familiar with her.

Originally from DC, now in California. I really like her voice. I am fussy about vocalists :)

On 6/14/2021 at 0:15 PM, sidewinder said:

Apparently Charles T. has just undergone an emergency dental procedure. Hope he gets well soon. Rescheduled for Sept I think.

Is there a new date yet?

Edited by bertrand