Art Blakey 1959 Blue Note date w/Lee Morgan and Hank Mobley “Just Coolin’”

ghost of miles

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been enjoying the CD for several months by now (at jazzmessenger.com it was available ... in April I think? these days time seems to fly and to stand still at the same time, so don't pin me down on it) ... it's pretty good, I think, though obviously not offering any substantial new insight into the Blakey/Jazz Messengers world. No one expected that, right? After all, there are so many albums - he and JOS must be the artists BN documented most thoroughly as leaders around that time. Anyway, I've long loved the live recording by this band (one of my three or four favorite JM discs, next to the Silver/JM, "Moanin'", and "Free for All", probably), and while it's pretty clear why after the wonderful live recording this studio date was shelved, it's still wonderful to have it now!

Listening to it now. Music is fine, and I have no objection to the design of the cover, but the *packaging* is unbelievably cheap--skinny cardboard that was warped by the plastic wrap. Luckily, the disc itself was ok, but, really, they couldn't have sprung for a simple jewel box or even a slightly nicer digipac?

gregmo

• 1 year later...
On 7/21/2020 at 4:46 PM, gmonahan said:

Listening to it now. Music is fine, and I have no objection to the design of the cover, but the *packaging* is unbelievably cheap--skinny cardboard that was warped by the plastic wrap. Luckily, the disc itself was ok, but, really, they couldn't have sprung for a simple jewel box or even a slightly nicer digipac?

gregmo

Just played this last night for the first time, and yes, this is fine music indeed, and if it was released around when it was recorded, I believe it would've shelved in between what was recorded before and since equally as fine. A very fine and enjoyable date, and more Hank! 

Listening again to this fine disk right now as I type this. To add about the artwork, it doesn't bother me either  at all (it has the Reid Miles/Patrick Roques approach.) Yeah, flimsy packaging (you get the feel of the RVG sampler packaging way back in 1999 feel) but I'm happy to have it in a whatever official release format.  Its hard bop and glad to shelve it among many other great Blakey dates I have. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2020 at 9:38 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

Ok, but what about that needlessly italicized ampersand?!

At first, I thought this was a Patrick Roques design, but it's not! I dig it. I like the cover and it looks "period" to me. Music's great, the more I listen to it, the more I like it!