Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ghost of miles

Art Blakey 1959 Blue Note date w/Lee Morgan and Hank Mobley “Just Coolin’”

81 posts in this topic

I never would have noticed the cover unless it hadn’t been mentioned. I like the color combination. 

6 minutes ago, Brad said:

I never would have noticed the cover unless it hadn’t been mentioned. I like the color combination. 

Ok, but what about that needlessly italicized ampersand?!

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Ok, but what about that needlessly italicized ampersand?!

It doesn’t bother me. It’s just a cover. 

I'll be reviewing from my promo files but I ordered a physical CD, and upon further listens while the album isn't earth shaking, it's just fun, solid swinging Messengers, warts and all.

I've been enjoying the CD for several months by now (at jazzmessenger.com it was available ... in April I think? these days time seems to fly and to stand still at the same time, so don't pin me down on it) ... it's pretty good, I think, though obviously not offering any substantial new insight into the Blakey/Jazz Messengers world. No one expected that, right? After all, there are so many albums - he and JOS must be the artists BN documented most thoroughly as leaders around that time. Anyway, I've long loved the live recording by this band (one of my three or four favorite JM discs, next to the Silver/JM, "Moanin'", and "Free for All", probably), and while it's pretty clear why after the wonderful live recording this studio date was shelved, it's still wonderful to have it now!

Listening to it now. Music is fine, and I have no objection to the design of the cover, but the *packaging* is unbelievably cheap--skinny cardboard that was warped by the plastic wrap. Luckily, the disc itself was ok, but, really, they couldn't have sprung for a simple jewel box or even a slightly nicer digipac?

gregmo