Art Blakey 1959 Blue Note date w/Lee Morgan and Hank Mobley “Just Coolin’”

ghost of miles

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

No, this was someone who did real covers. But maybe couw did that (although I didn't think so)? 

Ah, gotcha. I didn't know that a BNBB member made actual covers. I do remember couw making some covers for the board. One was his version of The Trainwreck.

On 3/24/2020 at 4:20 PM, Late said:

I believe you're thinking of couw?

I think this current Blakey cover is fine, but the use of red (if I'm being picky) somehow feels wrong. Reid Miles seemed to favor pinks and purples (and oranges) — pastels, generally speaking — over red. Yellow on red also seems a combination that he (generally) would have avoided. When Miles used red, it often appeared over white. (Leeway is an exception that comes to mind.)

I'm told it will be pressed on some sort of red/orange/yellow splatter colored vinyl for a "special edition." Saw a pic on instagram and it looks fuuuugly!

31 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

I'm told it will be pressed on some sort of red/orange/yellow splatter colored vinyl for a "special edition." Saw a pic on instagram and it looks fuuuugly!

That's the limited edition pressing from Vinyl Me Please. The Blue Note version will be on straight black vinyl.

On 3/24/2020 at 7:40 AM, felser said:

Is Patrick Roques still alive and active?  Loved his BN reissue work, even more than the iconic Reid Miles work that inspired it.

looked him up--- I ***never*** have seen this cd.........do any of you have this one? some from "prime element" 2-fer and 3 prev. unreleased tracks

R-13883750-1563272215-6812.jpeg.jpg

5 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

looked him up--- I ***never*** have seen this cd.........do any of you have this one? some from "prime element" 2-fer and 3 prev. unreleased tracks

R-13883750-1563272215-6812.jpeg.jpg

I own it.  It's good, but I long for the other session from Prime Element (the one with Lee Morgan) to be on individual CD.  It's on the Elvin Mosaic.

46 minutes ago, felser said:

I own it.  It's good, but I long for the other session from Prime Element (the one with Lee Morgan) to be on individual CD.  It's on the Elvin Mosaic.

That piano-less quartet Elvin session with Lee Morgan is one of the very best of the best dates in that entire Elvin BN box.

I don’t often buy individual CD’s from Mosaics I already own, but I would certainly buy a copy of that date with Lee as a single, beyond any shadow of a doubt.

2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

That piano-less quartet Elvin session with Lee Morgan is one of the very best of the best dates in that entire Elvin BN box.

I don’t often buy individual CD’s from Mosaics I already own, but I would certainly buy a copy of that date with Lee as a single, beyond any shadow of a doubt.

I agree that Elvin Jones date with Lee is very fine, but it's not really a quartet since there are two percussionists on it,  Or don't they count in your book?  It's interesting to me that Elvin would add Candido, etc. to his dates in this period - it's not like he 'needed' them, but he must have enjoyed their company.  Lee did a bunch of interesting sideman dates in this era, many not issued at the time.