Art Blakey 1959 Blue Note date w/Lee Morgan and Hank Mobley “Just Coolin’”

ghost of miles

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/24/2020 at 3:44 PM, danasgoodstuff said:

It's just fine, what's your problem?

I think it's trying to appear period, but it's not engaging, or serving the status of a record "finally to be released after 60 years". To me it looks like a "ok I guess" effort for a Reid Miles class assignment in a design school. The BN could've done a lot better.

To illustrate why I'm underwhelmed - the upcoming album was recorded on March 8, 1959.

This was recorded on April 15, and released the same year.

2012040718084567c.jpg

This was recorded a year later, almost to the day.

AMMJ_4029__41688__01152009120713-937.jpg

3 hours ago, Dmitry said:

I think it's trying to appear period, but it's not engaging, or serving the status of a record "finally to be released after 60 years". To me it looks like a "ok I guess" effort for a Reid Miles class assignment in a design school. The BN could've done a lot better.

To illustrate why I'm underwhelmed - the upcoming album was recorded on March 8, 1959.

This was recorded on April 15, and released the same year.

2012040718084567c.jpg

This was recorded a year later, almost to the day.

AMMJ_4029__41688__01152009120713-937.jpg

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Just Coolin' – Blue Note Records

If anything, I like the new one better.

I'm not crazy about the red/yellow motif, but it's OK.   I like the other two better, especially that Jazz Corner of the World cover.  This one is a favorite of mine, coverwise (needless to say, the music ain't bad, either):

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - The Freedom Rider (1966, Vinyl ...

On 4/3/2020 at 11:48 AM, bresna said:

No need to talk about the limited edition splattered pressing from Vinyl Me Please as it sold it in a few days. Hot times for limited edition vinyl I guess.

I was able to follow the link and add the colored lp to my cart. I went through checkout up until the final steps, then bailed. So it may still be available if anyone is interested.

That all being said, the VMP website is sort of glitchy. I couldn't get the search function to work just now. So they may just not have taken the order function down, or updated that page.

Lastly, the regular black vinyl version of Coolin' is available as an Amazon pre-order for $17.99 right now.

Edited by riverrat

BTW, the sound quality on (see below) is really bad on some tracks, at least on my incarnation of this material, which may not be the most recent one. Odd thing is that on at least one track the amount of left channel information decreases quite a bit and in a way I've never heard on a BN disc, but at the same time the right channel information is stronger both in terms of volume and presence. In particular, one hears the late Jymie Merritt far more vividly than I've ever heard him before, and goofy as the overall sonic results are, I'm grateful for the opportunity to better take in than before how inventive Merritt could be.

2012040718084567c.jpg

hmm...... I listened again to “jazz corner of the world” and I’m sticking to my impression that it’s the worst of JM albums of that era . Some great tracks but the whole thing is underwhelming. I say that as a big fan of Mobley, Morgan etc

think I’ll pass on this new one 

I re-listened to the "newly discovered" release and have decided to withdraw my prior belief that it wasn't worthy. The chosen takes make up a decent enough picture of the group and I am sure some people will really enjoy it especially Morgan's contributions.

But this dissing of the Jazz Corner of the World release beggars belief.  Alfred made the right call in shelving the studio session for this release, and it is very fine as far as I am concerned.

4 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

The chosen takes make up a decent enough picture of the group and I am sure some people will really enjoy it especially Morgan's contributions.

Probably not getting this one at all, but that sounds right. A little care in selection and editing when/if needed, you could get a decent enough record. Sounds like that's what they did.

4 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

But this dissing of the Jazz Corner of the World release beggars belief.  Alfred made the right call in shelving the studio session for this release, and it is very fine as far as I am concerned.

Concur completely. In retrospect, yeah, stronger albums were to come, but that's in retrospect. In real time, you got a hot band with a hot name and not even a remotely predictable outcome as far as lifestyle repercussions go and you got some decent performances ready to go. Why would you NOT put it out?

• 3 weeks later...

I received an email from Jazz Messengers which appears to indicate this is available now, at least in Europe.  It’s not supposed to come out in the US until August.  I’m used to certain books originally published in Britain being available months before it's published in the US but not what is seemingly the reverse. 

6 hours ago, Brad said:

I received an email from Jazz Messengers which appears to indicate this is available now, at least in Europe.  It’s not supposed to come out in the US until August.  I’m used to certain books originally published in Britain being available months before it's published in the US but not what is seemingly the reverse. 

FWIW, it appears to be available from Amazon Japan.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Just-Coolin-Analog-Blakey-Messengers/dp/B083XX69MJ/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&crid=JK9Y68CI278G&dchild=1&keywords=art+blakey+%26+the+jazz+messengers&qid=1588386815&sprefix=Art+Blakey%2Caps%2C139&sr=8-1

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2020 at 4:20 PM, Late said:

I think this current Blakey cover is fine, but the use of red (if I'm being picky) somehow feels wrong. Reid Miles seemed to favor pinks and purples (and oranges) — pastels, generally speaking — over red. Yellow on red also seems a combination that he (generally) would have avoided. When Miles used red, it often appeared over white. (Leeway is an exception that comes to mind.)

Yeah, the colors are wrong.  And as we know, album covers are the reason we love music.  If they had done the cover correctly, I would have been tempted, even if the music is sub-par.  But I think I'll pass on this.

27 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Yeah, the colors are wrong.  And as we know, album covers are the reason we love music.  If they had done the cover correctly, I would have been tempted, even if the music is sub-par.  But I think I'll pass on this.

It immediately reminded me of this one -

51c4Bb-onJL.jpg

2 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I'm mostly ok with the colors, but I'm sorry, but that ampersand is all kinds of whack.

Is it italicized?  "&"  Sure looks like it to me.

I know the names below are in italics, but the album title isn't - and those three things all being that same yellow/maze color.  The ampersand has more to do with... is more closely related too... is literally CLOSER to...  the album title, than it is the names down below.  The ampersand is also much closer in size to the title, and both seem to be bold (where the names definitely aren't bold).  So why is the ampersand in italics?  It just doesn't make any sense at all.

Can I not buy it for that reason instead?? - even if we disagree about whether the colors or wrong, or not.

On a related topic, can I be "decidedly ambivalent" about the colors?  I'm not even sure if that's a upgrade or downgrade from my claim of being "mostly ok" with the colors earlier in this very post.  I'll have to get back to you on that one.  Stay tuned.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 2 weeks later...