Orphan Tracks

ejp626

This is closely related to Greatest Albums That Never Made It to CD, but is a slightly different problem.  There are quite a few cases, particularly in the early days of CDs, where 2 albums would be fit onto 1 CD but one or even two tracks had to be dropped for space considerations.  This was a common occurrence at Verve but most of the labels would do it.  The problem then becomes since the music has basically been reissued, it becomes hard to make the case for a special edition to be put out just to get the missing track.  Sometimes the missing music crops up on a related release where there is more dead space to fill, but more often than not the track is in limbo.

Right now I am listening to Hugh Masekela's The Lasting Impressions of Ooga Booga, which combines The Americanization Of Oooga Booga and  The Lasting Impression Of Hugh Masekela, but leaves off the very last track (a live version of Child Of The Earth).  As far as I can see, this live version hasn't resurfaced anywhere, but if you are aware of it being reissued, do let me know.  Thanks!

I'll dig around and come up with a few more examples, but this is the one that is top of my mind right now.

Edited by ejp626

• 1 month later...

Just checking to see if it is true that the last track ("Blues for Mom") on Don Patterson's LP Tune Up! has never been re-issued.  It looks like the other three tracks ended up on an Acid Jazz compilation as well as the Stitt-Patterson CD Soul People.  Unfortunate if that is the case, as it probably could have fit on some other Acid Jazz compilation while those were such a big thing, though it apparently is a 12+ minute track!