Mike Longo R.I.P. (COVID-19 victim)

ghost of miles

I think I saw him with James Moody @ Fat Tuesday's in 1980(?), but that might have been Kenny Barron...all I remember about that gig was that Moody played his ass off, and that Al Harewood was on drums. I was shocked as hell that Al Harewood was alive and playing (this was pre-instanet spped of communication), and not at all surprised that Moody was a total badass as both bandleader, presenter, and player.

Years ago he was in town (Pittsburgh) for a concert with Woody Shaw and Eric Kloss, sort-of a pick-up affair. They were planning to do “Maiden Voyage” the second half, I encountered him in the hall at intermission, struck up a conversation, nice guy, unassuming,  he asked me to hum the song so he could figure out the structure.  Don’t think I was any help, but he figured it out. 

1 hour ago, DMP said:

Years ago he was in town (Pittsburgh) for a concert with Woody Shaw and Eric Kloss, sort-of a pick-up affair. They were planning to do “Maiden Voyage” the second half, I encountered him in the hall at intermission, struck up a conversation, nice guy, unassuming,  he asked me to hum the song so he could figure out the structure.  Don’t think I was any help, but he figured it out. 

That's one heck of a pick up team!