Mike Longo R.I.P. (COVID-19 victim)

ghost of miles

17 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Longo's best recordings as leader, in my opinion, were those he did for the CAP label. They include trio sessions, and a few with horns.

Are they straight ahead jazz records? I am more interested in his easy/groovy/funky stuff. The presence of a conga player on the album is usually a good indicator.

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Are they straight ahead jazz records? I am more interested in his easy/groovy/funky stuff. The presence of a conga player on the album is usually a good indicator.

The Longo recordings on the CAP label are all straight ahead jazz. I have little, if any interest for the type of albums that you prefer.

I saw Mike Longo several times on the bandstand .....very much enjoyed his playing.

But one thing no one has mentioned so far ----are his instructional books ---which are great.

In the 90s, when I was studying jazz and sax, my teacher suggested Mike's books: The Improvised Melodic Line, Theory and Musicianship, and Voicing and Voice Leading for the Contemporary Jazz Pianist.   The first two come with accompanying recordings with Mike explaining or playing the concepts he has in the books.  I found these to be extremely helpful.  

And as an aside, when I went to purchase these, I ended up in his apartment as he was selling them from his own place.  He was gracious and kind, asked me about what I was trying to learn and even demonstrated a few concepts for me while I was making the purchase.  What a great guy!

As TMJ derailed my sax "career", I don't use these any more.

If someone is interested in these, please let me know.