Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hopkins

Your music cataloging "system"

115 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, John L said:

I just visited the Collectorz online service.  Wow, does it suck!    It is just a list of of albums and songs by artist like iTunes.   All of the useful information from my database - musicians on albums, listening notes, etc. - vanished when I supposedly transferred by database there.   Now I am stuck in a dilemma and stand to lose what I have built.  

I just got a generic response from them when I inquired about comparability. Really disappointed. They didn’t even answer my question. The lack of full transfer to the cloud from the desktop platform is cause for me to stop using them. If the cloud platform was the same as the desktop I would stick with them. 

23 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

I just want to input on my computer and transfer it to the mobile app.

The only way to really do this is to make your own file on your own database, save, and then back it up on a cloud drive.

Anything else and you will be, as you are discovering, at the mercy of a 3rd party, which is really convenient, until its not.

I feel your pain, but with data, you can step up to the table and roll the dice until you lose, or keep your cash in your pocket. And even then...

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

The only way to really do this is to make your own file on your own database, save, and then back it up on a cloud drive.

Anything else and you will be, as you are discovering, at the mercy of a 3rd party, which is really convenient, until its not.

I feel your pain, but with data, you can step up to the table and roll the dice until you lose, or keep your cash in your pocket. And even then...

The question is what program to use for the database.   If you write your own computer programs, that might work.  I don't.   So we download special software.  But a third party needs to ensure that it remains compatible with new computer operating systems.  That is the problem.   There are programs like Excel that you can be pretty sure will always allow you to upgrade your files to a new operating system.  But Excel is cumbersome for a full music database.    

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Yeah and if i teach myself to drill for oil and refine it into gas and I can stop going to the pump. Thanks for the insight

Figuring out Excel is easier than drilling for oil. And you don have to change clothes.

I’m well versed in Excel. That is not what I want in a database. 

Right, Excel is not really a database.

But my point is more to not being dependent on a 3rd party service to store your data for you. As a backup, yeah. But just giving it to them....this is what happens.

Mike Weil talks about his database that he uses for his discographies. imo that's the type of thing to use to keep your data under your roof and not in somebody's cloud.

Are you ready?  My collection, about 10,000 items, is cataloged on 3x5 cards.  Every person appearing on any recording (leader, sideman) has a card.  On that card, I've listed every recording that that individual plays on.  I've color-coded things: LPs are written in black; 78s in green, 10" and other less-common (in my collection) formats in red; CDs in blue (just so I know what part of the house to search).

2 hours ago, BeBop said:

Are you ready?  My collection, about 10,000 items, is cataloged on 3x5 cards.  Every person appearing on any recording (leader, sideman) has a card.  On that card, I've listed every recording that that individual plays on.  I've color-coded things: LPs are written in black; 78s in green, 10" and other less-common (in my collection) formats in red; CDs in blue (just so I know what part of the house to search).

Wow.  Impressive.  

3 hours ago, BeBop said:

That’s insanely impressive. I could see doing that if I started from the beginning of collecting. I liked collectorz because I could add studio/venue, musicians and it was searchable. I also added the from and rear images to releases. The search for a new database has begun. 

I don't catalog my LPs.  I simply arrange them alphabetically by artist within my own idiosyncratically defined genres.

I back up my CDs using XLD, and, in theory at least, they are all backed up.  I file these in folders arranged by my own idiosyncratically defined genres, but I don't change the tags.  So if a space-age bachelor pad record shows up as "jazz," I leave it that way. 

I am almost done cataloging my LPs on Discogs. It has the functionality I need. When I started buying CDs in the late 80s I created physical cards for every item. Then I switched to a paper based list, just to document where and when I purchased them and how much I paid. 20 years ago, I switched to Excel, though I might eventually go all Discogs. I rarely buy CDs these days. And (luckily) I never kept track on how much I have spent on LPs! 

22 hours ago, BeBop said:

How do you search for a label? or for a song?

1 hour ago, Stonewall15 said:

How do you search for a label? or for a song?

I go to the internet.  Yeah, there are some limits to the 3x5 cards.  Frankly, it isn't that often that I (just speaking for myself) am looking to hear every version of "all the Things You Are" that I have.  If I'm looking for, say, James Moody's "Darben the Redd Foxx", I have a good first place to look, and I can go to the interwebs for others. 

I did, basically, start with the 3x5 cards on my first record purchase back in the 60s.  Funny to look back: first LP was "Way Out Wardell", a Wardell Gray album with almost completely wrong discographical notes on the cover.

I loaded all my items on discogs and I am fine with it. Anyway I haven't got a huge collection.