Music documentaries available for streaming

Tom in RI

Ken Burns's Jazz (with all its flaws that I'm sure you can find many discussions about here on the forum, if you so desire) is available on Amazon. It's free if you have Prime, otherwise $0.99 per episode.

Netflix keeps trying to get me to watch "Chasing Trane" and some thing about Miles Davis. I have no interest in either, but maybe they're in your wheelhouse.

If you enjoy classical music I can recommend some documentaries on YouTube. The first is the Schubert Trout with the million dollar quintet. Not Elvis, Lewis, Cash, and Perkins, but the even more staggering collection of Perlman, du Pré, Mehta, Pinchas, and Barenboim. I'm struggling to explain how good this is, both music and backstage bits. Just watch it. The fifteen seconds of Mehta-Perlman's Mendelssohn concerto alone is worth it.

The second is "Jascha Heifetz: God's Fiddler". Listening to Heifetz for me is like listening to Django, Tatum, Armstrong, or Ella. He is *so* good that it makes you want to give up music in despair. 

The third is "Ithzak Perlman: Virtuoso Violinist". Perlman's playing is as stunning as Heifetz's, and his sense of humour shines through everything.

Bonus:

Heifetz playing the Tchaikovsky, first movement: 

And this amusing Perlman bit. I can't remember whether it's in the documentary I linked above or not. After a student in a master class displays some incredibly good staccato technique, Perlman tells an anecdote about Gingold and Ysaÿe: