Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe

Hank Mobley in The New Yorker

33 posts in this topic

"Thinking of Home" has become a real favorite of mine this century. The sense of saudade is there and the performances are really tied strongly to the material and its moods.

54 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

The sense of saudade is there and the performances are really tied strongly to the material and its moods.

Well put.

saudade (noun): a feeling of longing, melancholy, or nostalgia that is supposedly characteristic of the Portuguese or Brazilian temperament

R-6017478-1408917626-6605.jpeg.jpg

I've always wondered if the opening suite was inspired, even if indirectly, by Coltrane's use of the suite form. In the first 35 seconds of the album, you can hear shades of both "A Love Supreme" and "Alabama." Some of the melodic intervals Mobley uses parallel Coltrane's.

R-3130741-1362926032-6887.jpeg.jpg

Cover matches music like none other. Not Brazilian, though.

I really like Thinking of Home." I don't have the set but my favorite Mobley album from this period is "Far Away Lands."

4 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

... my favorite Mobley album from this period is "Far Away Lands."

Listening to it right now!

R-5491732-1515875718-5070.jpeg.jpg

I think this album contains some of Mobley's best solos. The composition "No Argument" is fine. Donald Byrd is in good form too — sounding very Hubbard-like.

On 3/26/2020 at 4:03 PM, JSngry said:

Going back to the LT Series, Cuscuna has kept Hank plausibly appreciated for 40+ years. I certainly hope that there is somebody around to carry on that task, and also that there is a cultural  climate that will be receptive to it. "Hip" was never hip, never will be. But hip is forever, hopefully.

Agreed. Same with Tina, no?

Tina's arc might be declining...what else are they going to do, what now? Make a movie?

Funny, reading this thread yesterday, I also thought of Tina (before there was any mention) - whose playing I just love to pieces. ❤️