LF: Donald Byrd/Pepper Adams Mosaic set

On 3/30/2020 at 8:22 AM, porcy62 said:

That's interesting, as I use paypal as seller on discogs and I already met a couple of lunatic buyers, I am going to cut the Paypal access to my bank account. Thanks!

I am asking myself if is it the same with a credit card?

I'm not sure what the process is if you have a linked bank account and then unlink it. They typically require a linked bank account for security/verification purposes, but if you've already been verified and then unlink the account, I don't know if you will subsequently be required to re-verify or not. Some sellers/vendors require a linked bank account in order for you to pay using Paypal. Also, bear in mind that getting money in and out of your Paypal account becomes more difficult and takes longer if you don't have a linked bank account to effect such transfers. 

On 3/30/2020 at 8:41 AM, Big Beat Steve said:

I've heard a story like you described from a friend too (a case of allegedly faulty goods with they definitely were not) and your caveats are all appropriate. But - in all fairness it needs to be said that for many, many years the pendulum swung heavily in favor of the SELLERS, with Paypal just shrugging and leaving the buyers to work it all out for themselves, claiming that Paypal was just an intermediary platform for transferring the funds and nothing more. It only changed when buyer caveats vs Paypal became that widespread that Paypal saw their entire business model in danger. And things HAVE swung backwards in other ways too because many sellers now only ship by certified mail, which inflates the shipping costs too. This is understandable (to avoid claims of alleged no-show items) but no doubt this hurts their business too if they are being honest to themselves.

The problem in "our" field unfortunately is that grading is such a can of worms that it is very hard to please everyone every time equally at both ends. And let's be honest there too - overall the unscrupulousness about grading did not originate at the buyers' end.

True enough, and it's why I'm very reluctant to sell items that are associated with a high incidence of fraudulent transactions (like electronics or cell phones), but also why I will frequently not hesitate to buy something I've been searching for even if the seller's behavior or the way the listing is worded raises a red flag. If the item doesn't show up, or was misrepresented, I know getting a refund will be as simple as filing an eBay or Paypal claim, so the risk is minimal. 

Also true as to music sellers that overgrade, although I haven't had too many problems in that regard as I haven't actively collected vinyl for many years, just CDs. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Dave Garrett said:

I'm not sure what the process is if you have a linked bank account and then unlink it. They typically require a linked bank account for security/verification purposes, but if you've already been verified and then unlink the account, I don't know if you will subsequently be required to re-verify or not. Some sellers/vendors require a linked bank account in order for you to pay using Paypal. Also, bear in mind that getting money in and out of your Paypal account becomes more difficult and takes longer if you don't have a linked bank account to effect such transfers.

I always had a credit card linked on paypal as a buyer, when I started to sell on discogs, not ebay, I linked my bank account to paypal. Anyway I never had to transfert funds from paypal to my account since I use the paypal funds for online purchase.

5 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

I always had a credit card linked on paypal as a buyer, when I started to sell on discogs, not ebay, I linked my bank account to paypal. Anyway I never had to transfert funds from paypal to my account since I use the paypal funds for online purchase.

I’ve been using PayPal for eons, maybe 15 years? - but I never have given them my bank account info - just credit card only.

Don’t know that I’ve even accepted payment (gotten money) thru PayPal, but good to know that if I did, I could just spend the money thru PayPal by buying other stuff (or so it would seem).

Just now, Rooster_Ties said:

I’ve been using PayPal for eons, maybe 15 years? - but I never have given them my bank account info - just credit card only.

Don’t know that I’ve even accepted payment (gotten money) thru PayPal, but good to know that if I did, I could just spend the money thru PayPal by buying other stuff (or so it would seem).

Yeah, I thought I would become a billionarie selling stuff, but my paypal account never exceed 1K in its life, and even that for very very few seconds, I realized how many things I usually buy online, books, tools, wine, pipes, whatever.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 5:39 PM, Dave Garrett said:

I've used PayPal almost since their inception, and continue to do so, but with certain caveats. Unless things have changed, they are not a bank, so they are not subject to the same regulations that banks are (many of which are for the protection of depositors/customers).

Also, I do not have my main bank account linked to my PayPal account, but rather keep a separate account that is only used with PayPal, with only a small amount of money in that account to keep it active from the bank's perspective. I use PayPal primarily for eBay transactions, and although I rarely sell on eBay these days, both eBay and PayPal policies strongly favor buyers (a primary example: buyers now have 180 days - six months! - to file a claim, so as a seller, you are essentially providing a six-month warranty at no cost during which time a buyer can change his/her mind about the purchase). If a seller winds up on the losing side of a dispute, and doesn't have a sufficient balance in their PayPal account to cover refunding the buyer, PayPal can claw back the balance from their linked bank account. Hence the recommended use of a PayPal-specific bank account to which money is regularly swept from the PayPal account, then withdrawn/transferred to another bank account that PayPal does not have access to. 

Unscrupulous buyers can work eBay/PayPal's buyer-oriented systems to their advantage, and there are plenty of stories from sellers who've had it happen to them. Of course, I would not expect such things to be much of a concern in smaller, more collegial environments like this one. 

The other thing about PayPal is that they can — and will — override eBay.   That happened last year when I got the shaft from a buyer in NC (automotive merchandise ...not jazz or music related).    Due to a technicality, eBay sided with the buyer and I went directly to PayPal — and they quickly ruled in my favor and pulled $450 from the seller.