Simulated (Strat-O-Matic) 2020 MLB Season

29 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Now if they could AI a broadcaster to call the games...

You know, you'd think they could in this day and age.  Put in some simulated stadium crowd noise and ambience, and we can have a real mid-to-late-20th-century-style baseball experience!  (Through the magic of early-21st-century tech, of course. :g)  Seriously, I'd probably listen to such a broadcast... I'm jonesin', man!

And now the predictive standings sites can run their simulations off of this simulation, so when some team in the strat-o league outperforms their run differential, we can see how they will probably fall back in the standings over such a long season. :g

Does Vegas have a book on this?

12 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

You know, you'd think they could in this day and age.  Put in some simulated stadium crowd noise and ambience, and we can have a real mid-to-late-20th-century-style baseball experience!  (Through the magic of early-21st-century tech, of course. :g

Is that a Gordon McLendon reference?

I never heard McLendon, but he inspired some imitators. I did hear one such fellow on a local radio station, omce. It was surreal, and probably totally without the express written consent of anybody.

25 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Does Vegas have a book on this?

Is that a Gordon McLendon reference?

I never heard McLendon, but he inspired some imitators. I did hear one such fellow on a local radio station, omce. It was surreal, and probably totally without the express written consent of anybody.

Nope, just evening meanderings from me.  I was thinking about my experience of major-league baseball as a kid, which revolved around reading newspaper accounts and box-scores and listening to radio broadcasts.  We did see Reds games on TV a lot, because they were close enough to be part of our local market, but other than that television viewing was mostly Saturday Game of the Week and the playoffs.  We didn't get cable (which brought Cubs and Braves games with it) until I was away at college.  I played Little League, subscribed to the Sporting News, bought the annual Street & Smith baseball yearbook each spring, and often a paperback handbook as well (the title of which eludes me), and spent far more time than I should have on Strat-O-Mat... but getting to watch a lot of major-league baseball on TV is still a relatively new phenomenon for me, because even as an adult I opted to go without cable for many years.  The free MLB.TV subscription I've gotten through T-Mobile the past several seasons has spoiled me rotten!  

Btw, seems increasingly likely that there won't be a 2020 MLB season, even in shortened form.  I hope the writer's prognosis is wrong, but wouldn't bet against him at this point.

EDIT:  this is the annual handbook I was thinking of, titled--what else?--The Complete Handbook Of Baseball.  :g

Edited by ghost of miles

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Nope, just evening meanderings from me.  I was thinking about my experience of major-league baseball as a kid, which revolved around reading newspaper accounts and box-scores and listening to radio broadcasts.  We did see Reds games on TV a lot, because they were close enough to be part of our local market, but other than that television viewing was mostly Saturday Game of the Week and the playoffs.  We didn't get cable (which brought Cubs and Braves games with it) until I was away at college.  I played Little League, subscribed to the Sporting News, bought the annual Street & Smith baseball yearbook each spring, and often a paperback handbook as well (the title of which eludes me), and spent far more time than I should have on Strat-O-Mat... but getting to watch a lot of major-league baseball on TV is still a relatively new phenomenon for me, because even as an adult I opted to go without cable for many years.  The free MLB.TV subscription I've gotten through T-Mobile the past several seasons has spoiled me rotten!  

Btw, seems increasingly likely that there won't be a 2020 MLB season, even in shortened form.  I hope the writer's prognosis is wrong, but wouldn't bet against him at this point.

EDIT:  this is the annual handbook I was thinking of, titled--what else?--The Complete Handbook Of Baseball.  :g

My other big go-to was the Sporting News Baseball Register, and before that, Who's Who In Baseball, and also The Baseball Encyclopedia.  I love stats and trades.  And I was way early onto the Bill James train.