Strange BN lp on ebay: re- John Patton

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Relax - it’ll shortly be on its way to the UK. :)

I was sceptical at first but on one of those photos when blown up I could just make out the ‘BST’ number in the runout. To be honest, I’ve had $100 worth of entertainment this afternoon just speculating about it. I was also reminded how stunning these German Libertys can sound when I spun the Duke Pearson earlier on so if all goes well it’ll probably be a big upgrade on the Rare Groove.

I will post some better pictures of it on here when it arrives, all being well. 

Good eye. I also see the scribed BST-8..., it's on picture #4. Enjoy! It's certainly an oddity, and if the labels and the run in grooves are an indicator, the record might be stone-cold mint. Too bad no artwork... I wonder if they pressed any 45s for radio play. 

Edited by Dmitry

the "split" thing is what i never would of bought it cause of.... but youre right that vangelder stamp is SPOT ON.  Could it really be it was sent to europe, how could we not know this?  have we talked to that guy yet, you know, the jazz record center guy?  

we have a catalog no in the BN discog but no period cover art exists i take it

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

dawg i payed a lot into this record already, and being knee deep in the crisis, i might need that extra hundred to buy kleenex and toilet paper--- seriously.  could be a unique bn item- ive seen a german bn lp once (lou's "hot dog") and i agree about the labels.  but w/ "Split"-- just judging from the ad that would of set me overt he top--- like the """"301 Park Ave S."""" address....any of you know what im talking about?  (those $9.99 "scorpio" facsimile issues popular 2010+ cut from DAT)

congratulations i think you are in for a treat

arent you worried about covid-19 and getting international mail right now my guy, NOOOOOOoooooooooo its totally worth it for vangelder stamped memphis to NY spirit,-----

you know what question this raises next you guys??????????

whats the lp in sequence right before it?? THINKING OF HOME!!!!!   I want that big time!! if that ever turns up, i want to get it!~!!!!

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Thanks ! :)

I’ll definitely put some photos up once it has arrived. I think I’m warming to the ‘Split’ title and agree it makes more sense than ‘Spirit’, which always had me scratching my head.

I’m wondering if some of the explanation for all this might be ‘German efficiency’ of that era. They probably converted the supplied metal parts into a completed first batch of LPs (maybe promo?) boxed up before US Blue Note had got round to making a decision and communicating a cancellation. Another possible theory - Francis Wolff died in March 1972 (or was it ‘71?) could it be that he or Duke Pearson sent a set of stampers out, which the Liberty ‘suits’ subsequently cancelled in the transitional period after his death?

Edited by sidewinder

With regard to that previous release UK compilation of ‘some of the tracks’ mentioned by H Pekar, I dug out this CD:

R-1955206-1568628127-7476.jpeg.jpg

This one has one track from the session, ‘Footprints’, on it. The CD came out in 1994. They seem to have got the lineup wrong though, crediting Larry Hancock on drums and not Leroy Williams.

Edited by sidewinder

The white cover could be quite old although it is in excellent condition. Maybe marked up for promo use?

I don’t think the vinyl has been played - play through was immaculate. The sound is also typical ‘Van Gelder’ - very full and lots of ‘oomph’. Big John’s bass pedal work coming through loud and clear.

Could this one be a survivor which escaped a landfill fate?

Edited by sidewinder

20 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

Bit limited on attachment file size but hopefully these are at least visible and show the label.

Thanks, are you on a windows machine? Because you could open that second photo and then use the snip tool to isolate the label and/or roll-off imprints.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had confirmation that this one was part of an initial very limited run prior to the issue not getting the green light for official release. No idea if/how many others are out there.

It is potentially possible of course that a similar thing might just have happened with ‘Thinking of Home’ !

Edited by sidewinder