Strange BN lp on ebay: re- John Patton

20 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Just had confirmation that this one was part of an initial very limited run prior to the issue not getting the green light for official release. No idea if/how many others are out there.

It is potentially possible of course that a similar thing might just have happened with ‘Thinking of Home’ !

Certainly makes sense, can you share the source of this confirmation?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
On 4/14/2020 at 7:19 AM, sidewinder said:

Just had confirmation that this one was part of an initial very limited run prior to the issue not getting the green light for official release. No idea if/how many others are out there.

Did the seller give any indication HOW they knew the genesis of this LP you got from them? And also, how they got it in the first place.

Because the Germans were efficient - and pressed an initial batch of these (maybe just a very few as a demo run) before the official cancellation word came out from BN HQ across the Atlantic. That’s my theory anyway. :)

This must also have been around the time that Francis Wolff passed on, maybe adding to the confusion.

Edited by sidewinder

Would be interesting to get Michael Cuscuna’s reaction to this. Or someone equally steeped in Blue Note lore.

1) since Michael was the “producer of record” on the first issue of this material in 1996, and specifically 2) about the whole album name difference, “Spirit” vs. “Split” - is that anything Michael was aware of? - or anything else he might think about it.

It’s such an oddball thing, only made more so by the title difference.

If it isn’t literally a one of a kind, it’s surely damn close.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/16/2020 at 2:53 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

Would be interesting to get Michael Cuscuna’s reaction to this. Or someone equally steeped in Blue Note lore.

1) since Michael was the “producer of record” on the first issue of this material in 1996, and specifically 2) about the whole album name difference, “Spirit” vs. “Split” - is that anything Michael was aware of? - or anything else he might think about it.

It’s such an oddball thing, only made more so by the title difference.

If it isn’t literally a one of a kind, it’s surely damn close.

Been going on two years, I realize — but I imagine it would still be interesting to get Michael Cuscuna’s impressions of this whole crazy thing. Just a thought.

And/or are there any other BN historians worth consulting about it?

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 1 year later...
On 7/2/2022 at 6:46 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

Been going on two years, I realize — but I imagine it would still be interesting to get Michael Cuscuna’s impressions of this whole crazy thing. Just a thought.

And/or are there any other BN historians worth consulting about it?

Now three years!! Bump for an old, fun thread!!

8 hours ago, romualdo said:

I sent this information to Tom Lord (Lord Discography) who has just replied & has also passed this onto Michael Cuscuna for his comments/opinion

I will be very interested to hear of the feedback which comes from this. The LP is still sat in my shelves as a curio.

What we need is the jazz LP equivalent of ‘Antiques Roadshow’ with Mr Cuscuna in the chair.

reply from Michael via Tom Lord - I presume nut = but

Hi Stephen,

Here’s Cuscuna’s reply:

“News to me, nut entirely possible. There were Blue Note geeks lurking in BN offices across the planet!”

I have put the German release in the footnote to session #P865.

Thanks,

Tom

Edited by romualdo

11 minutes ago, romualdo said:

reply from Michael via Tom Lord - I presume nut = but

Hi Stephen,

Here’s Cuscuna’s reply:

“News to me, nut entirely possible. There were Blue Note geeks lurking in BN offices across the planet!”

I have put the German release in the footnote to session #P865.

Thanks,

Tom

Excellent !  

I would agree that ‘Split’ makes probably more sense as a title.

Shame that there’s no more insight as to how this one came to emerge as a straggler German Liberty issue (possibly only getting as far as maybe a handful of prototypes) and yet was shelved at home base in NYC until the 90s ‘Rare Groove’ issue. It seems to me that the death around that time of Francis Wolff may have added to general confusion with the communications to the German ‘outpost’ (and its office of Geeks !).

Maybe the answer lies in Germany - perhaps worth asking at the JazzInstitut Darmstadt?

Edited by sidewinder

On 7/28/2023 at 9:31 AM, sidewinder said:

I would agree that ‘Split’ makes probably more sense as a title.

Shame that there’s no more insight as to how this one came to emerge as a straggler German Liberty issue (possibly only getting as far as maybe a handful of prototypes) and yet was shelved at home base in NYC until the 90s ‘Rare Groove’ issue. It seems to me that the death around that time of Francis Wolff may have added to general confusion with the communications to the German ‘outpost’ (and its office of Geeks !).

Maybe the answer lies in Germany - perhaps worth asking at the JazzInstitut Darmstadt?

Ill buy it now from you if you ever want to maybe, or at least before you sell to someone else