Paul Desmond/Ed Bickert Mosaic - NOW AVAILABLE

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to confess, part of me I wishes this was only a 4-disc set (as long as one of the discs was that guitar-less disc, the one with the valve-trombone instead!).

I’d/I’ve never heard any of the previously released material before today (a couple of that albums are up on YouTube). And $120+ is a bit of a chunk.

But what I heard/sampled online today did sound lovley, and maybe in a few months I’ll be swayed (or whenever I can find employment again).

Hard to make the case for (my) ‘needing’ 7-8 hours of this group (and two fat-boys, in terms of space), but I’d jump in a heartbeat for half as much (for half the price).

I’ll *especially* be interested in reports on disc #4 with the trombone, whenever these start hitting people’s doorsteps.

For the record, I’m NOT complaining about the size/price of the set. More just thinking out loud.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

19 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

Everybody confident that Mosaic shipping won't be a problem with prior experiences??

My recent Mobley order was, like, flashback good. Had me wondering about the whole "your whole life flashes in from of you right before you die" thing, but so far, so good.

Maybe it's Mosaic's life that is flashing before our eyes right before it dies, but I can't do anything about that, just get me my records.

6 hours ago, Brad said:

For the $2 you might want to go for UPS. Media mail is iffy these days. 

Agreed. I had a shipment from one New York address to another wend its way through Tennessee, Mississippi, and Massachusetts before finally making here 11 days later. 97 miles separated shipping location from my house. I literally could have walked there and back sooner. I consider it two dollars well spent. Yes. I was pleasantly surprised today and ordered immediately as well.

Edited by greggery peccary

That was an overwhelming response!

Normally we setup a preorder and gauge how much inventory is required on initial orders.We've had a myriad of issues over the past year in finalizing sets and shipping after preorders and had to send emails explaining the delays. We've always prided ourselves on treating you with utmost respect and that past year was a debacle.

This time we decided to manufacture and have the set ready to ship when we announced. 

The response was beyond our expectations. We have the inventory for everyone who ordered yesterday and all orders are expected to ship by  next week .

However we are ordering another batch of CDs to manufacture today and generally it takes about 3 weeks for the sets to be ready to ship.

We will send another e-mail when they have arrived in our warehouse.

It's a great set and we hope you enjoy this beautiful lyrical music  during these dissonant times.

Thank you for your support ,
Mosaic Records

6 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Hopefully JazzMessengers get this one in in the not too distant future. Not sure I want to risk/splash out on the US postal options and the import tax sting.

That and the exchange rate. I can’t be doing with these fancy prices any more. 

I will definitely get this Mosaic - once it reaches the Boys in Barcelona. No rush though - I have 12 CDs of Maynard to get through. :rolleyes:

The days of 1.8 to 2 dollars to the pound seem like another era now though. Shame..

Edited by sidewinder

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I will definitely get this Mosaic - once it reaches the Boys in Barcelona. No rush though - I have 12 CDs of Maynard to get through. :rolleyes:

The days of 1.8 to 2 dollars to the pound seem like another era now though. Shame..

Wow. When was that?  And what is it now? (I haven't been  watching CNBC lately.) 

58 minutes ago, Brad said:

It’s almost 1 to 1, currently 1.25. 

Around 10 years ago it was at the much higher rate. Around the time of the big Financial Crash, when the US economy fell off a cliff.

The rate does vary over the decades though. Back in the 1980s it was not far off what it is now.

Edited by sidewinder

On 4/30/2020 at 10:23 AM, pglbook said:

Thanks for the notice, I was not expecting this set to come out so soon. I also just ordered a copy.

P.S., I have been a long-time reader of this forum (especially the Mosaic Box Set thread) and recently was finallly able to successfully register (thanks, Jim) after numerous past attempts.  I am very happy to now "officially" be part of such a great group. Thanks again.

Welcome to the board, pglbook!!

gregmo

13 minutes ago, LWayne said:

Any URL links for sampling of the tracks? On the fence.

LWayne

A couple of the previously released albums are on YouTube (in full) - I listened to most of one a couple days ago.

What I’d love to hear, though, is a track from the night with the valve trombonist (sans guitar).

Truthfully, I think the horizon LP is not the best of the lot. There were two furhter releases (on on Artuist house, I forget who did the other one) that were superior, imo.

But yeah, I cape diemed on this one. Sometimes you wait for Last Chance, sometimes you figure that the First will be the Last, something like that in the Bible, right?