Paul Desmond/Ed Bickert Mosaic - NOW AVAILABLE

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

Truthfully, I think the horizon LP is not the best of the lot. There were two furhter releases (on on Artuist house, I forget who did the other one) that were superior, imo.

But yeah, I cape diemed on this one. Sometimes you wait for Last Chance, sometimes you figure that the First will be the Last, something like that in the Bible, right?

Yep. Me too. I also "carpe diemed" on this one. With only 2500 copies it could go fast. And Mosaic masters sometimes go strangely "missing." 

As I recall there was only 1 other recording released from this particular engagement. The Artists House LP which was later released on CD (Domino or Gambit, can't recall), with one extra track which was marred by some distortion in the guitar recording (Hope they have corrected that, it's rather jarring, and that's not something you associate with Ed Bickert.) There was an earlier recording released on Telarc Archive "Like Someone in Love"  from March '75 at the same club with Terry Clarke on drums instead of Jerry Fuller. And then a '76 recording of the group with Fuller from the Edmonton Jazz festival.    

8 minutes ago, John Tapscott said:

As I recall there was only 1 other recording released from this particular engagement. The Artists House LP which was later released on CD (Domino or Gambit, can't recall), with one extra track which was marred by some distortion in the guitar recording (Hope they have corrected that, it's rather jarring, and that's not something you associate with Ed Bickert.) There was an earlier recording released on Telarc Archive "Like Someone in Love"  from March '75 at the same club with Terry Clarke on drums instead of Jerry Fuller. And then a '76 recording of the group with Fuller from the Edmonton Jazz festival.    

Domino, I just looked. Sketchy provenance, but available anyway!

Never payed attention to the date on that Telarc thing, just assumed it was the same gig. But it does show Jerry Fuller as the drummer:

83319.jpg

14 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Domino, I just looked. Sketchy provenance, but available anyway!

Never payed attention to the date on that Telarc thing, just assumed it was the same gig. But it does show Jerry Fuller as the drummer:

83319.jpg

Right. Jerry Fuller. I think Clarke was the original drummer in the group but his style wasn't quite right for Desmond, perhaps a little too much on top of the beat. (I've heard Terry do an almost perfect impression of mid 60's Tony Williams; though he didn't and doesn't always play like that).

19 hours ago, gmonahan said:

Welcome to the board, pglbook!!

gregmo

Thank you!

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 1:42 PM, Clunky said:

Welcome .... I’ve ordered it too..

Thanks for the welcome!

Edited by pglbook

I just ordered this, but had it sent to my brother's in California, rather than have it sent to me in London.  Maybe I'm being paranoid, but have little confidence in USPS and Royal Mail right now, and UPS to London is prohibitive.  (Royal Mail appears to just have lost a large shipment of coffee and books from Amazon UK.). I'm also afraid that this set will sell out soon.  So, don't know when I can travel to California again, but the music will be there waiting for me.  This is the Mosaic set I am most excited about since I don't know when...  Maybe the Gerry Mulligan CJB set, or even the Thad Jones and Curtis Fuller sets, which were my very first Mosaic sets back when I was a poor grad student in Ann Arbor, Michigan!  Too bad I won't get to listen to it for a long time.

In the meantime, hope everyone can stay safe and healthy.  And long live Mosaic!  May they keep soldiering on and fight the good fight!

Edited by Bol

I think I'll risk having it sent up to Toronto.  While the shipping price is a bit steeper, it's not ridiculous. (Maybe it's just that the domestic shipping rates have started to catch up  :(.) 

I do worry about it getting stuck in customs hell, but sometimes you get lucky and it sneaks through without the extra fees and customs handling charges. 

Probably sleep on it one more day, then pull the trigger.

Just wondering if anyone has received a shipping notice yet. I had e-mailed Scott about another matter a few days ago and took the opportunity to thank Mosaic for producing this set, He told me he thought the first batch of orders would ship out this past Monday. Although I ordered last Thursday, I have yet to get a shipping notice. Thanks. I am really looking forward to this one.

Edited by pglbook

Ordered last Friday, not shipped yet. But I have confidence in Mosaic, I remember there was a problem with a disc from Andrew Hill Mosaic Select set and they sent me replacement. The replacement had the exact same issue, and they sent me still another. Which was fine.

Tzadik on the other hand did not even care to answer me when I reported one of their CDs was missing a booklet.

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

Me too. Let us know when you are.  If it's before me I'll start to worry. 

I'm still in the same boat, awaiting shipping notification. It sounds like they received a lot of orders on this one (which makes me happy for Mosaic) and I am sure that shipping all of the orders will take some time. Hopefully we will hear something soon.

Edited by pglbook