Paul Desmond/Ed Bickert Mosaic - NOW AVAILABLE

3 hours ago, gmonahan said:

I have nothing against the Post Office, but I always choose UPS if I have the choice, which I did in this case.

gregmo

Smart move. 

49 minutes ago, Bill Nelson said:

The 'new normal' might be for all customers to drive to Secaucus' USPS "for curbside pick-up".

If only you could. 

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I emailed Scott this afternoon and this is the reply I’ve received back, which he said I could share. 

“Early last week I started getting emails and phone calls from customers asking about the status of their order. We work with a fulfillment house to ship packages and each day I would check their website to see the progress of shipping but every day the status would be the same: "open" which means it should leave that day. So I thought OK...it will leave the very next day. But apparently, what with limited staff and the onslaught of orders from the Herman, Mobley and Desmond, the warehouse fell behind. And being a fulfillment house they have other businesses too that utilize their service. 

An email from us explaining there would be some delays should have been sent in advance and for that I apologize. I was in touch on Thursday or Friday with the person responsible for overseeing the shipping and she said the shipping dept was full of Mosaic orders so they should be on their way this week.”

The Johnson household welcomed a new addition to its Mosaic family at 7:05 this evening. Paul Desmond The Complete 1975 Toronto Recordings, weighs approximately three pounds and has a healthy cry that oddly sounds like a dry martini. Father and set are resting comfortably in the front room next to the stereo. 

I did reach out to Scott yesterday.

To his total credit, he reached back out, identified the issues with my order and made it right. One of the issues was really pretty funny, really - my card # had auto populated with a correct card #, but with an expiration date from a previous iteration - the auto-populate expiration date was the end of April, and my order was placed the afternoon of the last day of April. By the time they ran the card as submitted (whenever that was), it had already expired as submitted!

That's a lesson for me, never assume that everything is going to auto-populate correctly (and time again to consider changing banks, as this one has dome some really wonky things with reissuing cards for various reasons at various times, but that's another story altogether...they too always make it right, but they don't always have an immediately credible explanation at hand...)

Scott didn't make excuses, just identified all the issues and offered an exact remediation of the issue, which he then followed thorough on, as/when promised. Not necessarily my Plan A of a business model (nor, I'm sure, his), but lord knows, I've been living on Plans B-Z for as long I I can remember Lincoln being on the penny, so....I get it. And as a Plan B, in both conception and execution, this one was pretty damn good!

So thank you, Scott! Full props here.

8 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

The Johnson household welcomed a new addition to its Mosaic family at 7:05 this evening. Paul Desmond The Complete 1975 Toronto Recordings, weighs approximately three pounds and has a healthy cry that oddly sounds like a dry martini. Father and set are resting comfortably in the front room next to the stereo. 

:D:D:D ....

It escaped the clutches of the warehouse in Secaucus and scrambled all the way to Illinois. Will it get across the Mississippi? Will the Rockies hold it? Fans are on the edge of their seats!

Actually, it's due next Tuesday, but I prefer the excitement of the race!

gregmo

1 hour ago, gmonahan said:

It escaped the clutches of the warehouse in Secaucus and scrambled all the way to Illinois. Will it get across the Mississippi? Will the Rockies hold it? Fans are on the edge of their seats!

Actually, it's due next Tuesday, but I prefer the excitement of the race!

gregmo

So there are actually some advantages to living in New Jersey!

Mine arrived an hour ago. A handsome set. I slipped in disc 2 and listened to most of it. . . (I wanted to hear some of these tunes). Very good sound, full-bodied, not overly bright. I think many will be quite happy to have this!

Not me. I got 481 even though I ordered it within minutes of getting the first notice. Can't complain: I thought it arrived in a reasonable time.  BTW Someone has obviously noticed that the titles of disc 5 are listed in the wrong order-- whoever has  listed them correctly for whatever system iTunes (or is it just  Music now?) uses  to i.d. titles .     

16 hours ago, medjuck said:

Not me. I got 481 even though I ordered it within minutes of getting the first notice. Can't complain: I thought it arrived in a reasonable time.  BTW Someone has obviously noticed that the titles of disc 5 are listed in the wrong order-- whoever has  listed them correctly for whatever system iTunes (or is it just  Music now?) uses  to i.d. titles .     

Thanks for the heads-up on that—I’ve listened to the first three discs and much of disc 4. Wonderful music, great sound... my only lament is that the notes seem a bit on the skimpy side. I’ve always enjoyed Doug’s writing, and he’s certainly the guy for the job (his Desmond biography is indispensable if you’re a fan). But maybe I’m just spoiled rotten by my recent revisitation of the Lester Young set and its accompanying deep-dive (as in Mariana Trench!) annotations by Loren Schoenberg. In any event, very happy to be making my way through this collection. Excepting the Savory set, this has to be one of the highest unreleased-to-previously-released ratios for a Mosaic collection in some time.  

Edited by ghost of miles

On 5/19/2020 at 9:01 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

Eagerly awaiting feedback on DISC #6 - the one sans guitar, but with valve trombone instead.

I sure wish they had a sample track from that disk to hear (on the Mosaic site).

You'll really enjoy this disc. It's fun to hear the alto and the trombone "strolling" with the bass and drums, great playing and sound.

Curiosity had me checking out where this Bourbon St. club was in Toronto. Looks like it was on Queen St W and just down the way from the Rex Hotel, which still survives as a live jazz venue. Looking at pictures of the Victorian era building for the club it was recognisable to me and I will have walked past it on my way to the Rex many times back in the day. Now demolished though.

I wonder if Mosaic will consider doing a ‘Jim Hall Complete Live’ box with the Don Thompson recordings also made at this venue for A&M?

Edited by sidewinder

yesterday t got the new Desmond Toronto set. Third track is Johnny  Mandel's  Emily,  a song I  have no taste for, though many jazz musicians disagree.  I thought ‘ah well,' but Desmond turns it into something close to sublime. How I think I might know after several hearings, but I may not have the words. First, the whiny aspect of the song —the  descending  figure that goes with the insistent (too insistent I think) repetition of the title name —  is pretty much purged from paull’s theme statement and wholly from his solo line, which pretty much goes on forever. And while there certainly  are sequences in play here, as often is the case for Paul, it’s almost  though they’re being used to keep the IMO mawkish aspects of the song at bay. In effect one of paul’s own softnesses,  if you will, his penchant for seqeunce spinning, is  being used here in the name of a kind of strength, even toughness. And Bickert!

btw speaking of the song's in my view too Insistent  to the point of being nagging title phrase, I'm reminded of an encounter I once had with Sylvia Syms. she sang" Here's that Rainy Day,'  a song that i also find rather nagging for its arguable overuse of the initial pickup phrase that goes with the word "Funny..." and comes back several times. But when Sylvia sang it, the song was strengthened/tranformed, and at first I couldn't figure out how she'd done it. I asked her about this, snd she said, 'There are too many damn "funnies" in that song, so I took some of them out."

LK