Paul Desmond/Ed Bickert Mosaic - NOW AVAILABLE

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 20-6-2020 at 11:38 PM, sidewinder said:

Probably safer to order from Mosaic direct for this one.

On 21-6-2020 at 8:19 AM, OliverM said:

I asked the same question and received this reply from Jorge on June 11th:

Well the truth is that we are waiting for this box set, since long time ago. They ran out of it, and they are now reprinting more.

This is why we are still waiting. But, we are doing everything we can to get it. Actually if we have any luck, we will have it here in a couple of weeks.

We will announce it! 

Just heard back from Jorge. He is expecting the Desmond set tomorrow (Wednesday 24 June), and he thinks it'll be around 165 euros - which is pretty steep I think.

[edit] The price of the Desmond is actually just under 160 euros, which, in my opinion, is still a bit high.

Edited by J.A.W.

Thanks for confirming that - just checked and the set is already in at JM and on site at Euro 159 and a bit. Doing the sums the difference is marginal compared to ordering from Mosaic direct with shipping and import tax and at least with JM you get 2-4 days courier delivery with no hassle from the packaging department and shipping issues. I noticed also that they also still had the ‘Jim Hall Live Vols 2-4’ in stock, also recorded by Don Thompson, so for me it will be a ‘1970s Bourbon St, Toronto Fest’ week. :)

Plus - they offer a free tote bag !

Edited by sidewinder

Sound calculation, Sidewinder. However, I noticed that the automatic conversion on JM makes it £151.84 rather than the £144.55 that xe.com calculated so the price keeps going up -- just like buying an oop Mosaic on Ebay!

Anyway, I've placed my order. Agree with JAM that this is pricier than normal for a Mosaic set of this size.

6 minutes ago, crisp said:

Sound calculation, Sidewinder. However, I noticed that the automatic conversion on JM makes it £151.84 rather than the £144.55 that xe.com calculated so the price keeps going up -- just like buying an oop Mosaic on Ebay!

Anyway, I've placed my order. Agree with JAM that this is pricier than normal for a Mosaic set of this size.

Yes - no bargain. However, I’ve opted for peace of mind based on the tales of grief from our various North American board members. Plus - I want it this week and needed an excuse to get that elusive Jim Hall. :)

Edited by sidewinder

3 minutes ago, crisp said:

Sometimes the expensive way is the easy way

Yes - too much hassle. In the past I’ve also had to make quite a lengthy drive to the area Royal Mail depot just for the privilege of picking it up and paying the not inconsiderable import tax. Sucks big time all round. :angry:

Edited by sidewinder

Decided not to get the new Desmond set. I've heard parts of the material and, while I like the old Desmond set with Jim Hall, this is not my cup of tea. I really don't like Bickert's guitar playing, or rather guitar sound, and I'm not going to spend about 160 euros on something I'd probably hardly ever listen to.

Edited by J.A.W.

I guess it’s a personal decision. Personally I really like both A&M Horizon LP releases, the Desmond and the Hall, so a bit of a no-brainer. I had the pleasure of seeing Ed Bickert live back in the day - plus Don Thompson and Jerry Fuller - so this will be a nice reminder.

Edited by sidewinder

26 minutes ago, J.A.W. said:

Someone on another forum suggested that it has to do with the guitar Bickert was playing; he said it was the same brand/type Bill Frisell plays - well, I don't like Frisell's sound either, so that could be it.

Seriously? It's as basic as they play the same brand ax?

As a person fascinated with guitars it has amazed me what a unique jazz sound Bickert has gotten out of a Fender Telecaster with (at this time I believe) single-coil pickups. I like his sound. I'm not a Frisell fan really. ;)

The same material sounds a lot better to my ears on my system than the Verve cd. Fuller and vivid sound.

After all the travails of the first pressing, I was pleasantly surprised to get a shipping notice right away.  When it actually arrives (and whether it makes it here by Canada Day) is an open question.  (Also, whether I have to pay duty on it or not.)

Edited by ejp626

I wish I could hear one of the tracks from the night with the valve trombone.

Mosaic used to have 3 sample tracks per set, usually, but it appears that detail was overlooked here - or maybe with other recent sets of late. Not trying to pile on about Mosaic, so don’t take this as a bitter complaint.

I think you'd like them. Desmond is Desmond, and the valve trombone is very well played as both solo and accompanist. There's more "strolling" with bass and drums from the horns than on the sessions with Bickert. The lack of a chording instrument makes the music seem a bit "harmolodic" though it's not really harmony-wise. That's my take.

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I think you'd like them. Desmond is Desmond, and the valve trombone is very well played as both solo and accompanist. There's more "strolling" with bass and drums from the horns than on the sessions with Bickert. The lack of a chording instrument makes the music seem a bit "harmolodic" though it's not really harmony-wise. That's my take.

Actually, those are my favorite tracks on the set.

gregmo

On 6/23/2020 at 5:45 PM, jazzbo said:

As a person fascinated with guitars it has amazed me what a unique jazz sound Bickert has gotten out of a Fender Telecaster with (at this time I believe) single-coil pickups. I like his sound. I'm not a Frisell fan really. ;)

The same material sounds a lot better to my ears on my system than the Verve cd. Fuller and vivid sound.

On 6/23/2020 at 5:07 PM, J.A.W. said:

Someone on another forum suggested that it has to do with the guitar Bickert was playing; he said it was the same brand/type Bill Frisell plays - well, I don't like Frisell's sound either, so that could be it.

You're right about the single-coil pickups Bickert had on his Tele during those recordings. He switched the neck pick-up to a humbucker shortly after Desmond's death.

The sound of a single-coil is thinner than the humbucker that Jim Hall used on his ES-175 when he played with Desmond, and he also used thinner strings, so I can understand J.A.W's reaction to the difference in sound between the two quartets, but Bickert was at the top of his game during this period, and easily Hall's equal as both an accompanist and soloist. He 's certainly a better fit for Desmond than Frisell, who is suited to players of a different style.

I can but imagine how Frisell and Desmond would have worked together, who knows what accommodations/adaptations might have occurred.

However, it never happened, and trying to process all the possible outcomes in my admittedly limited imagination, I'm glad it didn't!

although, in theory, can you really be glad something did not happen without knowing what might have happened if it did?

I'm going to worry about that for a little while...

Ok, done! :g

Set No. 38 has just arrived from JazzMessengers. Superbly well packed - like Mosaic used to do before they contracted it out. Does that give me the lowest number set? (other than Ted O’R.)

The music and playing is superb. Very impressed with Don Thompson’s recording too.

Edited by sidewinder

On 16/06/2020 at 11:13 PM, djcavanagh said:

Worth everyone checking that they have the right discs - I ended up with two of disc 1 (and none if disc 2). Mosaic will make it right so it's just a short-term frustration. 

Must be a British thing - the same thing has just happened to me. 

Edited by sidewinder