Paul Desmond/Ed Bickert Mosaic - NOW AVAILABLE

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, crisp said:

Thanks. I've just checked mine (no 596) and all the discs are fine -- if the printing on them is reliable

Yes, they are definitely both disk 1s on replay.

Just heard from Scott - replacement being sorted, excellent service. :tup

Edited by sidewinder

I will have to check my set. I listened to all of the CDs when I first got the set weeks ago and all seemed fine but I will double check.

Do the duplicate CD 1's both state CD 1 on the label? Or is the problem that the labels are correct in listing CD 1 & CD 2 but the music on CD 2 is actually a duplicate of the music on CD 1?

Thanks for letting us know about this issue.

Edited by pglbook

On 6/26/2020 at 2:17 PM, crisp said:

Thanks. I've just checked mine (no 596) and all the discs are fine -- if the printing on them is reliable

Same here. Hopefully, the printing is reliable. Years ago, I had the Bird 10 cd set from Verve and two of the CDs were the same except the printing (but not the music) were correct. 

1 hour ago, pglbook said:

I will have to check my set. I listened to all of the CDs when I first got the set weeks ago and all seemed fine but I will double check.

Do the duplicate CD 1's both state CD 1 on the label? Or is the problem that the labels are correct in listing CD 1 & CD 2 but the music on CD 2 is actually a duplicate of the music on CD 1?

Thanks for letting us know about this issue.

Yes, the duplicate CDs both state CD 1.

Sorry if this has already been discussed but the track listing for disc five is wrong. 

Track one is I've Got You Under My Skin (listed as Just Squeeze Me)

Track two is Just Squeeze Me (listed as All The Things You Are)

Track three is All the Things You Are (listed as Autumn Leaves)

Track four is Autumn Leaves (listed as Wave)

Track five is Wave (listed as I've Got You Under My Skin)

Track six and seven are listed correctly.

When I listened to the CD I obviously wasn't concentrating because I only discovered this when I ripped the disc and the CD database used by Dbpoweramp listed the corrected titles with the listed titles in brackets.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, djcavanagh said:

That's great - did they tell you they had posted it as I haven't heard a peep. 

Nope - Just the response from Scott after I had explained the problem to confirm that a replacement would be sent. It sounds like a number of copies had been reported with this issue.

Disk 2’s music is of course - excellent. :)

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, djcavanagh said:

Mine arrived today too (albeit with a fairly bug scratch as it had become loose in the tray - it seems to test ok in EAC though). 

:tup

My CD was fine but the transparent case had a break on the front. A miracle that they have arrived, I guess. Anything from the US requires extra extra padding these days to get past the pulverisers at customs. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, king ubu said:

Is there anything in the booklet about why they re-arranged track order (not going by chronology)?

Couldn't find it by skipping through, haven't had time yet to really sit down and read it all.

No. I wondered that myself.  Maybe it had to do with the pre-existence of a couple of cds of the material. 

Mine just arrived.  It's second pressing, so hopefully none of the issues mentioned above, but I'll be sure to check right away.

All the music appears to be correct.  :tup  I do see the same scrambling of titles on CD 5 as Crisp noticed.  Timings are often a bit different than on the tray, but as long as I don't have to swap out one of the CDs for a replacement disc I am fine with it.

Edited by ejp626

On 16.7.2020 at 0:24 PM, medjuck said:

No. I wondered that myself.  Maybe it had to do with the pre-existence of a couple of cds of the material. 

On 16.7.2020 at 0:24 PM, sidewinder said:

Nothing that I can see - there doesn’t seem to be too much logic behind it, other than the McConnell tracks on CD6 and ‘Live’ on CD7. The earlier disks were probably varied up for variety and to fit in with CD disk time limits, I guess.

Thanks!

"Disk time limit" is usually not a concept relevant to Mosaic, didn't even consider that.

Either way, I've started listening by now, and obviously the music is great (I've had the A&M and Telarc CDs, as well as a Euro boot of teh Artist House, so I knew what to expect).

On 16-7-2020 at 8:53 AM, king ubu said:

Is there anything in the booklet about why they re-arranged track order (not going by chronology)?

Couldn't find it by skipping through, haven't had time yet to really sit down and read it all.

Hi. I'm new here. Well sort of. I've been visiting to this forum quite regularly over the past year or so and have found it most informative. So i decided to sign up. 

With regard to the track order on the Desmond-set; I contacted Scott at Mosaic Records because it puzzled me as well and he sent me the following reply:

As for the chronology of tunes, it was the choice of bassist-recording engineer-producer Don Thompson who wanted to create the material in the same flow as the sets that they played in the club. We bow to his infinite contribution and expertise.

A remarkable choice and not one that every producer would consider, but it works very well. The pacing of the set is just fantastic.

18 hours ago, Mark13 said:

Hi. I'm new here. Well sort of. I've been visiting to this forum quite regularly over the past year or so and have found it most informative. So i decided to sign up. 

With regard to the track order on the Desmond-set; I contacted Scott at Mosaic Records because it puzzled me as well and he sent me the following reply:

As for the chronology of tunes, it was the choice of bassist-recording engineer-producer Don Thompson who wanted to create the material in the same flow as the sets that they played in the club. We bow to his infinite contribution and expertise.

A remarkable choice and not one that every producer would consider, but it works very well. The pacing of the set is just fantastic.

Welcome and thnx ....

• 2 weeks later...

I've not cracked the set open yet, but...if you have to rearrange the playing order to create the same flow as the sets as played in the club - and you already have the recordings of the sets as they were played in the club...what am I missing here? Why are you trying to create something that should already exist?

16 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I've not cracked the set open yet, but...if you have to rearrange the playing order to create the same flow as the sets as played in the club - and you already have the recordings of the sets as they were played in the club...what am I missing here? Why are you trying to create something that should already exist?

I don't think anyone is claiming that every song from every set was either recorded or presented on the Mosaic set.  From a very casual glance, I'd say maybe 50% of the material from a one week stand has been preserved (or at least presented here), with the other songs either not recorded or not up to snuff, so then Don Thompson rearranged the rest.

So they're recreating a flow that maybe didn't exist to begin with?

A simple "Don Thompson did it this way because it makes a better record" would have sufficed, but the answer as provided just makes no sense to me. You either have entire sets or you don't (and I would imagine they do). There's either technical/balance issues (which I'm sure there are on occasion) or else some nights were better for some tunes than were other nights (and I'm pretty 100% sure about that, too).

So, just say so. None of this "creating the same flow" silliness, ok? That's not what you're doing. You're taking the best takes and making the best record out of them, which, by god, is what you should do! I'd be pissed if you didn't, unless you went total documentary and said so up front.

But if the full set of tapes you have do not "flow" as well as does (or in a manner similar to) the record you want to release, then just say so. It's not complicated, nor is there any reason to cloud the matter..Live gigs are not records, and in pretty much every way imaginable.