Paul Desmond/Ed Bickert Mosaic - NOW AVAILABLE

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Mark13 said:

Don Thompson was there - he should know how the sets/playlists were put together. If he claims that he chose for this presentation of the available material to approach the feel of the actual concerts, who are we to disagree?

That’s hardly a reason to agree with the approach, because he was there. I have to agree with Jim. 

On 29.6.2020 at 1:44 AM, crisp said:

Sorry if this has already been discussed but the track listing for disc five is wrong. 

Track one is I've Got You Under My Skin (listed as Just Squeeze Me)

Track two is Just Squeeze Me (listed as All The Things You Are)

Track three is All the Things You Are (listed as Autumn Leaves)

Track four is Autumn Leaves (listed as Wave)

Track five is Wave (listed as I've Got You Under My Skin)

Track six and seven are listed correctly.

When I listened to the CD I obviously wasn't concentrating because I only discovered this when I ripped the disc and the CD database used by Dbpoweramp listed the corrected titles with the listed titles in brackets.

Just got to disc 5 and was wondering why I'm hearing "I've Got You under My Skin" first - guess all's okay with my set then, just a stupid mistake?

--

@JSngry I get your point, but it's a non-issue - the set is perfect as it is!

Plus, I'm not sure it actually contains any full set of music anyway. The run-down:

March 27: 5 tunes
March 26: 6 tunes
March 28: 7 tunes
March 29: 6 tunes (TelArc CD)

October 25/26: 7 tunes
October 27-29: 8 tunes (A&M double album) + 5 tunes (Artist House album) + 1 tune
October 30: 5 tunes
October 31: 2 tunes

Assuming they did at least 2 sets per night, that doesn't quite represent any full night, except possibly for Oct 27-29, if many (two thirds) of the tunes come from, say, the 28th.

Alas, there's no full discography provided with setlists - and I'd assume, since Thompson was the original recording engineer (and the reissue producer for Mosaic, obviously), they'd have had access to these, if they still existed?

Either way, wonderful, wonderful set! :tup: :tup: :tup:

Edited by king ubu
lousey typing ;-)

Yes, all sets have this mistake. I contacted Mosaic and got an answer that they were 'painfully aware' of it and had corrected it in the discographical data on their site. As to my request for a replacement disk if they were to put this right in a future pressing, Scott informed me that all runs were manufactured and a repressing was just too costly. So it is what it is.

BTW, this error got me studying the booklet(s) and I noticed that session E is printed in its entirety in the booklet to cd's 5-6 whereas the only track from that session to be found on these cd's is 'Just Squeeze Me'. The other (six) tracks are on cd's 3-4 (and listed in the accompanying booklet)

Edited by Mark13

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2020 at 5:45 PM, JSngry said:

I've not cracked the set open yet, but...if you have to rearrange the playing order to create the same flow as the sets as played in the club - and you already have the recordings of the sets as they were played in the club...what am I missing here? Why are you trying to create something that should already exist?

On 8/5/2020 at 6:05 PM, ejp626 said:

I don't think anyone is claiming that every song from every set was either recorded or presented on the Mosaic set.  From a very casual glance, I'd say maybe 50% of the material from a one week stand has been preserved (or at least presented here), with the other songs either not recorded or not up to snuff, so then Don Thompson rearranged the rest.

I'd bet one contributory factor (maybe the main impetus) is that all the A&M Horizon material is on disc 7.  It looks like Mosaic used A&M's CD master, maybe to save money, maybe on Universal's insistence (note that that disc appears in its own clamshell...maybe Universal pressed and supplied the disc separately).  Since the material could no longer be presented chronologically (other tracks from October 27-29 appear on discs 3 and 4), Mosaic let Thompson arrange the set order for each disc.  I'm listening now to disc 6; he did a great job.

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2020 at 9:26 AM, Brad said:

Normally I’d second an Emily Remler Mosaic but she only had seven albums as a leader so I don’t know if there’s enough material there. Moreover, would Concord be interested in licensing the rights to another company?

There's a bunch of live stuff of hers floating around the web. It would be fantastic if Mosaic could pull one together with some unreleased live material. 

8 hours ago, tranemonk said:

There's a bunch of live stuff of hers floating around the web. It would be fantastic if Mosaic could pull one together with some unreleased live material. 

These days, in order for Mosaic to commit to another a big box set, it pretty much has to be a sure thing, e.g. the Desmond/Bickert.  I'm as big a fan of Remler as anyone, but the sad fact is, most people don't know Emily Remler from Emily Littela.   

17 hours ago, Dave James said:

These days, in order for Mosaic to commit to another a big box set, it pretty much has to be a sure thing, e.g. the Desmond/Bickert.  I'm as big a fan of Remler as anyone, but the sad fact is, most people don't know Emily Remler from Emily Littela.   

I basically agree with you but I wouldn't have thought a Paul Desmond set would go out the door. I'd settle for the Betty Carter set I've been begging for a few years and I think that would do well. 

I'd like to see Denardo and Mosaic do business and look at what all he's got in the archives. Same thing with Paul Bley, archives to die for.

Unfortunately, it seems like Mosaic has no further interest in "specialized tastes", which is, like, what, 95+% of all jazz at this point in time?

Also, i don't think that cuscana really has the energy (personal or professional) left for sheparding those kind of vital but certainly labor-intensive shepherding efforts. No problem, though about that, he did his part more than well.

Great singer, complaints about pitch are sometimes (and/but only sometimes) accurate from a literalistic sense, but there's plenty of other ways to get that. Very few ways to get the totally open - and musical - interpretations she does. You hear all these people who THINK they're doing Bett Carter and just wandering all over the place, and that's EXACTLY what they're doing - wandering all over the place. Betty Carter never wandered, she knew where she was at all times, where she started, where she was going, how she was going there, and perhaps above all, when she got there. Too many bad singers, so many good-to-excellent ones, and not but a handful of great ones.

A consummate artist, imo.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Also, i don't think that Cuscana really has the energy (personal or professional) left for shepherding those kind of vital but certainly labor-intensive shepherding efforts. No problem, though about that, he did his part more than well.

Several of the latest Mosaic boxes, particularly those from the swing era, have been produced by Scott Wenzel. Michael Cuscuna, now 72, seems to be at least partially retired. He hasn't been as active since Blue Note shifted away from him producing their reissues about 10 years ago.

On 11/27/2020 at 10:44 AM, medjuck said:

Now that they're down to 4 box sets is it ghoulish to bet on which one will be the last one to go?  (I realize they have 2 more in the works.)   BTW If you don't have the Savory box you're missing out on some great music. 

True that!

gregmo

• 1 month later...

The Desmond set arrived yesterday.  It was a Christmas gift that came late.  I listened to the first disc yesterday.  Very, very nice.  Seeing Ed Bickert in Toronto in '73  or '74 at a place called Yellow Fingers was one of my first exposures to jazz.  Our family was on a weekend getaway to Toronto so it was my parents, sister and brother.  It was at my insistence that we went, and obviously - it was quite memorable for me.  Great music and nice venue as I remember it.  My first jazz club

Another highlight was my brother and I sneaking out of our Sutton Place hotel room some time after midnight and walking down and back up Yonge Street.  Quite an experience of sights and sounds for a couple of kids who had never seen nightlife on a big city main street.  One thing that sticks in my mind was encountering an open door and stairway up to upper levels above some business that was closed for the day.  There were a few guys hanging out outside the open door, a speaker through which the sweet sound of Herb Alpert's "A Taste of Honey" was blaring.  Sitting every few steps on the way up - women of varying ages. Scantily clad and at first glance, attractive.  But we didn't exactly stop and stare.  I was around 16 at the time.

Memories.........

Edited by Ed Swinnich

17 hours ago, Ed Swinnich said:

The Desmond set arrived yesterday.  It was a Christmas gift that came late.  I listened to the first disc yesterday.  Very, very nice.  Seeing Ed Bickert in Toronto in '73  or '74 at a place called Yellow Fingers was one of my first exposures to jazz.  Our family was on a weekend getaway to Toronto so it was my parents, sister and brother.  It was at my insistence that we went, and obviously - it was quite memorable for me.  Great music and nice venue as I remember it.  My first jazz club

Another highlight was my brother and I sneaking out of our Sutton Place hotel room some time after midnight and walking down and back up Yonge Street.  Quite an experience of sights and sounds for a couple of kids who had never seen nightlife on a big city main street.  One thing that sticks in my mind was encountering an open door and stairway up to upper levels above some business that was closed for the day.  There were a few guys hanging out outside the open door, a speaker through which the sweet sound of Herb Alpert's "A Taste of Honey" was blaring.  Sitting every few steps on the way up - women of varying ages. Scantily clad and at first glance, attractive.  But we didn't exactly stop and stare.  I was around 16 at the time.

Memories.........

Thnx for sharing ....