Paul Desmond/Ed Bickert Mosaic - NOW AVAILABLE

I understand that everything has come to a standstill with COVID-19, but in trying to keep optimistic and looking ahead to better times, has anyone heard what’s happening with Mosaic issuing the Paul Desmond Toronto Quartet recordings with Ed Bickert? 

Moments after posting this question, I realized that I should have posted this question on the “Mosaic-Box sets” thread, but perhaps the “Offering and Looking for” thread is just as appropriate now as we’re all looking for something good and positive in our future.

Safety and good health to all.

Bob

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a ton of brethren jazz guitarists hungering for that PD/EB Mosaic set, so if this is a limited series, it will probably go quick. EB has assumed Sainthood status since his death, and PD is equally revered (although he wasn't in his prime like EB was; I don't know if illness played a role).

Since learning about Don Thompson's habit of recording many of his gigs, I've been running into other examples of 'live' recordings that were done at some gigs that had nothing to do with record companies.

At Birdland, someone rented out the office space directly above the stage, and drilled a hole in the floor there. Then, they would dangle a mic that would record whomever was playing. We have them to thank for the 1948-1952 Stan Getz.Jimmy Raney 'Live at Birdland' sides.

A lot of the Tubby Hayes 'live' recordings were done at Ronnie Scott's started by the omnipresent Tubbs fan, Les Tompkins, in 1963. When Tompkins asked Ronnie Scott if it was okay with him, Scott replied, "Well, look- you've got the machine right there. Bring it down anytime you like, and we'll see what you can get."

It makes you wonder if there are any treasures recorded at Birdland and Ronnie Scott's that were never made into vinyl or disc that are part of some jazz 'black market' in tapes being sold on the web somewhere...:ph34r:

Edited by sgcim

18 minutes ago, sgcim said:

It makes you wonder if there are any treasures recorded at Birdland and Ronnie Scott's that were never made into vinyl or disc that are part of some jazz 'black market' in tapes being sold on the web somewhere...:ph34r:

Max Gordon's memoir "Live at the Village Vanguard" mentioned that, in the '60's at least, he was recording shows.  Surprised none of these tapes have surfaced; maybe they no longer exist.

21 hours ago, mjzee said:

Max Gordon's memoir "Live at the Village Vanguard" mentioned that, in the '60's at least, he was recording shows.  Surprised none of these tapes have surfaced; maybe they no longer exist.

I've always wondered the same thing about Buddy Rich's night club in New York. I read somewhere years ago that performances there were taped. I saw Dizzy there with a big band (Milt Jackson as a "special guest") back around 1975 or so. Would love to have a record of that!

gregmo

• 4 weeks later...

yeah I just saw this... Caught me completely off guard... Gotta check which of the previously released material I already have but I'm going to get this one given all the new stuff!!! Very excited. I hope the set lives up to the concept. I've always wished Mosaic would do more live unreleased stuff. 

Thanks for the notice, I was not expecting this set to come out so soon. I also just ordered a copy.

P.S., I have been a long-time reader of this forum (especially the Mosaic Box Set thread) and recently was finallly able to successfully register (thanks, Jim) after numerous past attempts.  I am very happy to now "officially" be part of such a great group. Thanks again.

18 minutes ago, pglbook said:

Thanks for the notice, I was not expecting this set to come out so soon. I also just ordered a copy.

P.S., I have been a long-time reader of this forum (especially the Mosaic Box Set thread) and recently was finallly able to successfully register (thanks, Jim) after numerous past attempts.  I am very happy to now "officially" be part of such a great group. Thanks again.

Welcome .... I’ve ordered it too..