Deadly Choir Practice in Washington State

gvopedz

On March 10, 60 singers showed up.  A receptionist offered hand sanitizer at the door, and members refrained from the usual hugs and handshakes.  After two and a half hours, the singers separated at 9 p.m.

Almost three weeks later, 45 were diagnosed with COVID-19 or ill with symptoms, at least three were hospitalized and two died.

https://www.fr24news.com/n24/2020/03/the-practice-of-the-choir-becomes-fatal-highly-suspected-airborne-coronavirus.html

Wow. I’d seen this very story last night, or the headline at least - but I hadn’t seen the actual stats (45 of 60 infected) - yikes!

As a choral singer myself, who was rehearsing weekly (here in DC) as recently March 5th - a group of similar size too - this is pretty scary.

Not that visiting a crowded grocery store, or riding on a crowded bus or subway is much better.

Fortunately the stores have been only “very moderately” busy when I’ve been in the last week (and less than the week before). The Metro here is like a ghost-town, but busses are still at least 40% full at times (and they won’t let anyone else on if it hits 50%).

I took the bus back from our vet about 10 days ago, and in retrospect, I’d wished I’d taken the Metro instead (15 min extra walk), or just walked the entire way home (30 min). Even with a cat in tow (in a carrier), I think I would have been better off. She’s only ~10 lbs.

We’re only going grocery shopping either early in the morning, or once I went in the middle of the afternoon, and it wasn’t much different (both weekdays). The nearest grocery to us is about 3 blocks away, but we’re limited to only what we can carry (being carless since 2011). Which means I need to go back for more supplies about once every 5 days or so.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

32 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

We’re only going grocery shopping either early in the morning, or once I went in the middle of the afternoon, and it wasn’t much different (both weekdays). The nearest grocery to us is about 3 blocks away, but we’re limited to only what we can carry (being careless since 2011). Which means I need to go back for more supplies about once every 5 days or so.

Does your grocer offer delivery?

52 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Does your grocer offer delivery?

We could get delivery, but neither of us are in high risk categories, and we figure we shouldn’t stress their delivery services (with our order) since we’re both totally able-bodied (though it’s just been me alone getting groceries). Trying to weigh what’s prudent for us, but also society as a whole (wanting to be good citizens, doncha know).

I figure if I only go to the grocery about once every 5 days, and only when they’re not busy, and then we go practically nowhere else (though we did get a take-out a pizza on Friday - but we didn’t even have to go inside the place, and never got any closer than 8 feet from the pizza purveyor).

We’re not all freaked out about getting Covid personally (though we’re doing what we can to avoid it), and even if we did, we’d self-quarantine for 14-16 days 100% - to keep from spreading it. I think we’ve got about 14 days of food on-hand, if we stretched things (and could probably ask our neighbor to get a couple things now and then, when she went out - as we would likewise do for her, if she needed).

We’re trying to be 95% vigilant, but *without* pushing too hard on already stressed distribution/delivery systems (i.e. we’re not buying anything from Amazon, or much of anything from anywhere that we don’t really need). At least that’s the modus operandi de jour, for the foreseeable month or two.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Yeah, still not leaning on delivery other than what we already get delivered via Amazon (which was NOT groceries, I was not a particularly ardent fan of Whole Foods anyway...). But definitely leaning on curbside pickup now. Never had use that until now..

Does your grocer offer curbside for foot traffic? I've become a fan of that under these conditions. Still get out of the house, still keeping the revenue streams going, but significantly reducing the number of closed-environment encounters.

I very much worry about the store employees, though, and find it a bit criminally negligent that the people who are keeping us going are not being provisioned with an adequate shield of protection. The Amazon and DoorDash employees who have been threatening to go on strike about this concern have my full support.

We wanted to use our local Shoprite for delivery and when we went to reserve a time slot, all slots for the next two weeks were taken. This applied to pickup as well. However, they do have early hours for people 60 + and we used that this morning. 

3 hours ago, Brad said:

We wanted to use our local Shoprite for delivery and when we went to reserve a time slot, all slots for the next two weeks were taken. This applied to pickup as well. However, they do have early hours for people 60 + and we used that this morning. 

Wow, that's intense. The window for pickup at our Kroger is just 3-4 days. We pickup one order/cart and start another one was soon as we get home, you can modify/add up until the the night before pickup.

Brenda tried the Senior Hour at Costco the other day, and let's just say, uh...putting this as nicely as possible...it was as perfect example of what people mean with the whole "Ok, Boomer" thing as imaginable...

• 1 month later...

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has posted a study of the incident: 

High SARS-CoV-2 Attack Rate Following Exposure at a Choir Practice — Skagit County, Washington, March 2020

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6919e6.htm?s_cid=mm6919e6_w

On 3/30/2020 at 10:27 AM, gvopedz said:

If the weblink does not work, there is this one for CDC coronavirus reports

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/Novel_Coronavirus_Reports.html

Edited by gvopedz

Yes, my youngest brother is depressed about it. He is in the church choir, has been for a decade, and it has become part of his joy. He sings well, he is a past trumpeter and knows the music they sing well. Maybe he'll return to the trumpet. . . .