'Eye & Ear' compilation on Atavistic... includes rare Pee Wee!

EKE BBB

While making some research in order to complete my Pee Wee Russell collection with some uncommon sessions, I came across this compilation on Atavistic label. It was originally released as a limited-edition audio companion piece for Corbett Vs. Dempsey's "Musician<->Artist" gallery opening in Chicago, December 3, 2004, under the name "Eye & Ear".

It includes a wide range of music, from a Dave Coleman session from 1943 (with the likes of Dexter Gordon, Bill Harris or Herbie Steward!) to one Peter Brötzmann duo track with Han Bennink (2004). 

The Pee Wee Russell track dates from 1950, and is a duo performance of 'Jada' with pianist Michael Snow.

Weird comp, for sure! :crazy:

R-2574940-1291219579.jpeg.jpg

Edited by EKE BBB
Thread already moved to Recommendations

Corbett Vs. Dempsey is a small art gallery just upstairs from Dusty Groove in Chicago.  I saw quite a few of their shows, but probably not Musician<->Artist.  I don't know if they had an actual connection or just an affinity to Dusty Groove.

Probably their most ambitious show was far too large for the gallery and they worked out a deal to put it on at the Chicago History Museum - http://www.corbettvsdempsey.com/2007/10/20/big-picture-2/

7 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

While making some research in order to complete my Pee Wee Russell collection with some uncommon sessions, I came across this compilation on Atavistic label. It was originally released as a limited-edition audio companion piece for Corbett Vs. Dempsey's "Musician<->Artist" gallery opening in Chicago, December 3, 2004, under the name "Eye & Ear".

It includes a wide range of music, from a Dave Coleman session from 1943 (with the likes of Dexter Gordon, Bill Harris or Herbie Steward!) to one Peter Brötzmann duo track with Han Bennink (2004). 

The Pee Wee Russell track dates from 1950, and is a duo performance of 'Jada' with pianist Michael Snow.

Weird comp, for sure! :crazy:

R-2574940-1291219579.jpeg.jpg

[I just realised that I started this thread in the Miscellaneous Music section, instead of Recommendations, as I intended to.

Dear moderators: please feel free to move it to the correct section, if you deem it appropriate]

EKE,

I remember finally tracking this down several years ago.  Hilbert's PWR discography dates this as June 20, 1950 and attributes it to a private acetate recorded at his home.  Hilbert also lists a version of "Louise" with both Pee Wee and Bud Jacobson on clarinets (along with a different pianist and a trombonist.  Apparently still unissued.  I'd love to hear that one!  There are two more titles that don't include Pee Wee.  

31 minutes ago, ejp626 said:

Corbett Vs. Dempsey is a small art gallery just upstairs from Dusty Groove in Chicago.  I saw quite a few of their shows, but probably not Musician<->Artist.  I don't know if they had an actual connection or just an affinity to Dusty Groove.

Probably their most ambitious show was far too large for the gallery and they worked out a deal to put it on at the Chicago History Museum - http://www.corbettvsdempsey.com/2007/10/20/big-picture-2/

Thanks a lot for the background on the art gallery. Very interesting. :tup