• 1 month later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/3/2020 at 1:18 PM, JSngry said:

ouch....

ScreenShot2020-03-27at4.06.26PM.png

Saw that - looks like one of those Smoke Sessions covers.  Played some cuts on Spotify - not remotely close to traditional jazz - so wondered whether it was him - but guessing that it is.  I do hear a little trumpet every now and then.  Not saying it is bad - but not something I would necessarily revisit.

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2020 at 8:04 AM, JSngry said:

Is there a possible connection to this music and the music on Wayne's "rejected" Blue Note session?

So i just looked at the copy of Duke Pearson's session notes from the rejected session which I have. Duke wrote the word 'Universe' at the top of the page...

Also, there were THREE days of rehearsals on 10/8,10/9 and 10/10. That's a lot of rehearsals for a few sketches. They were paid $30, i.e. about $200 in 2020 money.

Trying to get a hold of Barbara Burton to fill in some gaps.

On 10/7/2020 at 9:29 PM, Eric said:

Saw that - looks like one of those Smoke Sessions covers.  Played some cuts on Spotify - not remotely close to traditional jazz - so wondered whether it was him - but guessing that it is.  I do hear a little trumpet every now and then.  Not saying it is bad - but not something I would necessarily revisit.

Nicholas Payton is not a conservative Young Lion/Wynton type. He's actually quite experimental, based on the live performances I've seen in the last few years.

This is the record you need:product-img-1.jpg

Edited by kh1958

I saw Wallace at a local place which is upstairs with an outdoor patio.  On a cold night (by Santa Barbara standards) the indoors was packed but the outside empty. Then Roney began playing and he was fucking great.   I looked outside and there was a solitary man using the whole patio to dance to the music. I thought of joining him but didn't want to get that far from the fire.